Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have low thyroid issues during pregnancy? HELP!

Sigh.

I just got a call from my OB. My bloodwork came back from 10 days ago. Bloodwork baby-wise looks great... but my thyroid count was low--so I have to go back in on Monday to get more bloodwork done.

I've never had thyroid issues before--so this all his me kind of nervous. Is there anything I can do to help my numbers? Anyone have any experience? The nurse I talked with just told me there's nothing I can do and if my numbers don't look good the next round I'll have to be on meds for the rest of my pregnancy. Brother. But it seems like a lot of things could be solved by diet, kwim?

If it makes a difference, I was totally stressed out the day they did my bloodwork... but like I said, I know nothing about thyroid stuff.

HELP!

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have low thyroid issues during pregnancy? HELP!

I wish I knew more about this.... but I DO know that stress definitely effects thyroid function let us know what happens

(my family has a history of thyroid issues, so I get tested every so often)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
Sigh.

I just got a call from my OB. My bloodwork came back from 10 days ago. Bloodwork baby-wise looks great... but my thyroid count was low--so I have to go back in on Monday to get more bloodwork done.

I've never had thyroid issues before--so this all his me kind of nervous. Is there anything I can do to help my numbers? Anyone have any experience? The nurse I talked with just told me there's nothing I can do and if my numbers don't look good the next round I'll have to be on meds for the rest of my pregnancy. Brother. But it seems like a lot of things could be solved by diet, kwim?

If it makes a difference, I was totally stressed out the day they did my bloodwork... but like I said, I know nothing about thyroid stuff.

HELP!

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Bugger all. Well, I just got an email from my mom--who I emailed as soon as I knew. Appparently, she was (and probably should still be on) thyroid meds for years and years. Ga-reat. I thought it was out of the blue.

So, here's hoping it was just a lot of stress that day (like there won't be stress on Monday when I retest. sigh) that made my numbers a little low.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
Bugger all. Well, I just got an email from my mom--who I emailed as soon as I knew. Appparently, she was (and probably should still be on) thyroid meds for years and years. Ga-reat. I thought it was out of the blue.

So, here's hoping it was just a lot of stress that day (like there won't be stress on Monday when I retest. sigh) that made my numbers a little low.
I had the same thing with my second pregnancy, they tested once and my numbers were low, then they tested again and I was fine. keep me posted!

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
jollygoodANDgreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine was high w/ DD2. So they referred me to an endocrinologist. I went & she didn't find the same results as my obgyn . So when I was told again that I had high thyroid test results w DS I just blew it off . It's always something isn't it. Just be on the safe side though & keep an eye on it.

ETA: whether high or low I'm not sure to this day what causes it, diet, stress, or just genetics . . .

Last edited by jollygoodANDgreen; 08-07-2008 at 05:56 PM.
jollygoodANDgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygoodANDgreen View Post
Mine was high w/ DD2. So they referred me to an endocrinologist. I went & she didn't find the same results as my obgyn . So when I was told again that I had high thyroid test results w DS I just blew it off . It's always something isn't it? Just be on the safe side though & keep an eye on it.
thyroid is something you'd definitely want to get checked... it can cause miscarriage (hyperthyroid at least)

Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

I'm hypothyroid ALL the time. Actually, I need to remind my doctor to run a TSH next week. I just take synthroid. Low thyroid can cause miscarriage, brain damage and can cause low milk supply.

There is a known condition where you go hypothyroid during or immediately after pregnancy but return to normal within a year. However, hypothyroidism tends to run in families. If you have one family member with thyroid issues, you have a 50-75% chance of having them as well, depending on what caused it.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
I'm hypothyroid ALL the time. Actually, I need to remind my doctor to run a TSH next week. I just take synthroid. Low thyroid can cause miscarriage, brain damage and can cause low milk supply.

There is a known condition where you go hypothyroid during or immediately after pregnancy but return to normal within a year. However, hypothyroidism tends to run in families. If you have one family member with thyroid issues, you have a 50-75% chance of having them as well, depending on what caused it.
it's interesting, my mom had hypERthyroid issues and whenever I've had any signs that there might be a problem, I've leaned towards hypOthyroid....

Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I never had any issues with DS at all. Bugger. Well, at least if it IS hypothyroid I can get the meds and have it taken care of.

It just stinks is all. I opted out of the quad screen because we had a major scare with DS for nothing at this exact same time of pregnancy. And now THIS. If it ain't one thing, it's another.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
qfmama
Registered Users

Kelp Caps. I found mine in the natural foods section at my grocery store. It's what my midwife suggested for me for thyroid function.

I am a born-again Christian, quiverfull, homeschooling, cloth-diapering, SAHM
qfmama is offline   Reply With Quote