Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up HELP!!!!! What is wrong with my boob???? *Update*

First I need to mention that my DD is teething and has 6 teeth popping in at the same time right now. She already has 2 bottom teeth in the front. She is also sick with a head cold right now too so that is probably the main reason this is happening. Anyway, last night my DD was nursing and I started having pains shoot through my right breast. I didn't think anything of it and it went away after she was done. I figured she might had pulled it down and caused the pain. (had this happen before) I woke up this morning and my WHOLE breast was aching. I have never had this type pain before and I have been nursing for 8.5 months. So I got in the shower and soaped it up and massaged it b/c I thought is might be a clogged duct. OMG...I a/b went through the roof!!!! I was crying it hurt so bad and I have a high threshold for pain!!! So through the course of the day I have found it to be one spot in my breast that has a swelling in it and it is turning red in that spot. Now I feel so nauseous and achy all over and I just feel ROTTEN! It's even hard to breath! I can't tell if I am getting my DD's cold or if I might have mastitis. I have never had it or any other problems like this other than a clogged duct. It was close to the areola and when I massaged it in the shower it came out. It was not NEAR as painful as this!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! What can I do???? I think my DD has forgotten how to latch too b/c it feels different and it hurts like a bite. She isn't doing it on purpose but she clamps down and I cringe. I don't want this to be the end of us nursing....but how do I put up with latching with teeth??? If it's going to be like this for the next 2 years or more I don't know if I can handle it! Do they toughen up or something? I am so upset a/b this!!!! We worked SO hard to have a great nursing relationship, I don't want teething to ruin it!!! Someone please get the thoughts of weaning out of my head and help me with this!!!!!

ETA FOR UPDATE:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that had advice for me! I feel a lot better! My breast still hurts in that spot and I think the clog moved b/c I have it more in my areola and (TMI) When I pump I have been getting a nasty clumping to the milk. I also had a string of solid milk kind of like a noodle. After that it has been improving. My fever has broke too....I am feeling a lot better!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by babygirls2; 10-15-2006 at 05:05 PM.
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP!!!!! What is wrong with my boob????

well, I'm not a dr, but it sounds like mastitis to me. Do you have a pump? I think that you need to pump after every feeding. If you have a hand pump you could pump in the shower. pump and feed as often as possible. getting the milk out is really the best cure for mastitis. If its severe you will need antibiotics though

The supplement lecithin will help w/clogged ducts if its not quite mastitis yet.

As far as the teething, dd has 4 teeth now and while she will scratch me w/her teeth when she doesnt unlatch properly, she generally doesnt bite. BUT when she had a cold last week, it did affect her latch - the 2 combined prob do make it more painful for you.

Just be sure you're latching her on carefully. Soothie gel patches might really help you I aslo use a cream diaper rash cream by Motherlove thats good for thrush on your nips. helps lots and has no lanolin.
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a Medela PIS, I've been pumping a lot lately b/c I had to leave my DD with my MIL for a day to take my other DD to see the Wiggles with her daycare class. I had to build up enough in the freezer to last the day. So I had built up a nice supply for DD in the past week. I think too, since I stopped pumping and DD gets all she can hold when she nurses that the extra milk was just sitting in my boobs. I have some soothies that have been in the fridge for 7 months. hee hee.....Used them at first then forgot a/b them until my hubby found them yesterday under a pull out shelf. ooooops..LOL Should have seen the look on his face when I told him what they were. LMBO....I will try pumping after she nurses. I need to stalk up my freezer anyway. I will also get some lecithin when I go to pick up my DD's RX this evening. Stupid Q, but do I swallow it? Major TMI, but my mom said that it works wonders on hemorrhoids too... She said to break it open and put it on there and it works....sorry..you really wanted to know that, huh? ...ROTFL...ugh....this crap is seriously hurting!!!! I think I might take somemore tylenol. Thanks for your advice!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like mastitus to me too. If you run fever, I would see a doc for antibiotics. You can also consult kellymom.com. There are so many good ideas on there. Goodluck!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

((hugs)) Dont despair! It does sound like mastitis, or close to it, but not the end of your nursing relationship. Rest, drink lots of water, and call your Dr if you get a fever or its worse. The stopping pumping could have done it to you, so nurse as much as baby can - position her chin on that spot and it will help massage it out. (You dont want to wean her right now, you will be in extreme pain! Not to threaten you, lol, but its true, thats the opposite of what you need.) It can be sore for a few days after the plug loosens up, but it should start improving. As her cold gets better you can work on nursing manners and teach her not to clamp down. Sorry this is brief, Im nak and typing left handed. Hang in there mama!!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
aschrimp
Registered Users

It does sound like Mastitis. I've had mild cases (both times with fever and vomiting, and a big red spot but no red line) and both times it's gone away with no antibiotics, just lots of nursing and pumping. I'd make sure to get both breasts completely empty every time he nursed - after he was done, I'd pump till I was empty. I always put a limit on how long I'd go before going to the dr, but we don't like antibiotics, so I'd try to wait it out, and both times got through it. The red line going up the breast or 3+ days with fever were my limits...your mileage may vary.

Also, with the latch - my ds got a painful latch at about the same age as your dd, when his teeth started to come in (he is 1 yr with 8 teeth now). I went to LLL and a LC saw me after the meeting. I had to spend a week or two really making sure he opened his mouth wide before I let him latch, just like when he was a newborn (except now he's old enough to try to explain). I tell him "Big open sweetie - open wide for nursies", then when he does, I praise him up and down. And when he nurses without biting (he bites when he gets impatient with slow milk flow/slow letdown).

You may just need to work with you dd on improving her latch - it really made a big difference for me. For a while there, I was so sore I would almost cry when he would latch on, and I was afraid I would get to the point where I wouldn't be able to do it anymore and would have to wean. Now we are doing great (except for the occasional bite). Hang in there!

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take whole cloves o garlic, cut into pieces and swallow. If you put it under your tongue and then take a drink to swallow you can't taste it too bad. Hot cabbage leaves on your breast will help for the swelling and pain.

You can also take garlic pills but they don't work as well.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: HELP!!!!! What is wrong with my boob????

Sorry I haven't responded. I now know I have a full blown case of mastitis. I have felt absolutely horrible. I thought it might had been Maddy's cold and I was catching it, but I haven't gotten any of the head cold symptoms. Just the fever, aching, chills, sick to my stomach, and vomiting a few times. I even took some pheneragan so that I could eat a little something and not feel sick. I was going to try and get some rest but Maddy didn't take a nap so I had to suffer through being incredibly sleepy and taking care of the girls. I have the red spot on my breast, I have swelling of the entire breast, it's hot, hurting with a lump that seems to be getting bigger. I have been trying so hard to nurse through the pain. With every latch and suckle I cringe and cry. I just try to shut my eyes and do my best to relax so that my milk will let down. Pumping is excruciating!!! I think it even hurts worse than my DD biting!! I tried to adjust the suction so it wasn't pulling as hard but then no milk would come out. I have always had problems with letting down to a pump even with all of the techniques of visual, imagining BFing the baby, massage....none of it has really worked for me. I always have to let DD nurse and I pump the other breast at the same time. I am determined to stick through it but the pain I am going through....I feel like saying no more every time she eats. I know we won't quit but OMG.....I wish it would just stop hurting!!! What is so bad, it's the friggin weekend so I can't go to the Dr until Monday. I would feel totally stupid walking into the ER for mastitis...KWIM? I mean if it got bad enough I would go....but I hate not having any treatment for it, b/c I can't take much more!!!
I went through 2 c-sections and they weren't as bad as this. I mean with the last one I had Maddy on a Thursday and by Monday I was up cleaning house, ...etc...with no pain meds. (a of course) but no one was there to help. So why is this hurting worse than the pain after having major SURGERY!?!?!?!?! ....Sorry this is a huge vent but I have had such a horrible day and it seems my DH doesn't give a hoot right now and my DD's are feeling the tension of mommies pain. I'm not taking it out on them but they know mommy isn't herself, KWIM? I only hope and pray tomorrow is better!!!! Thank you mommas for your advice!!! It is GREATLY appreciated!!!! I think I will go to bed now and rest since the girls finally have went to sleep. I need to PM the mama's I have to make stuff for and let them know what is going on. Night night...if you pray, please remember me? Thank you!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
aschrimp
Registered Users

I hope you get feeling better. Serious mastitis is definately a condition that you don't need to feel embarrased for going to the ER with. I always waited it out to avoid the antibiotics, but if you are of a different mind about the meds, or if you don't think it's bad enough that you need them, no one is going to look at you funny for showing up at the ER with mastitis.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Poor Thing!!

tylenol is ok of rhte pain. the lecithin you take as a supplement- never heard of its 'other' application *rofl*

Dont wait too long to go to the dr - you dont want it to turn into a breast abscess or anything. I know I hate taking antibiotics too but mastitis can be serious.

Hugs!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote