Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #21
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anybody in South Korea?

Okay, really dumb question. Why is my siggy not showing up?

Advertisement

My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #22
vickul
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM
Hi! I'm not in South Korea yet but will be sometime before the year is out. My husband is going over to teach English. We have a two (almost three) year old daughter and yeah, we are going to be doing cloth for her while we are there since I'm not going to try and find diapers over there for her. So, I have a small stash now, just a few pocket diapers but I would LOVE to hear about what to expect as far as the care of diapers over there or anything else really because I am just SO freaked out about going over there especially since the job my husband thought he had fell through now so we're probably going to have to take just anything that comes through for us. I'm SO upset about this! I have a VERY hard time meeting people and making friends and have lived here in small town USA for two years without having anyone to really talk to. Online just is not enough, I need to interact with people too. To top it off, I have hearing issues so I cannot just learn another language which my husband really doesn't understand. He can pick up languages very well and I cannot. We were hoping to be in Suwon because it is very important for me to be somewhere that has a lot of Western influence but now, it looks like that isn't going to happen. *sigh*
I taught in Korea for six years. The first year in a big city with lots of other foreigners was actually the worst because my employer was a thief and a liar. Four of the next five years were spent in a town of about 40,000 where, for the first year and a half, I was the ONLY westerner in town. Had I not met my husband, I'd still be there because the job was great, the people nice, and the area pretty much ideal. Sometimes it's actually easier to live in less westernized areas because the local residents are less likely to have had past bad dealings with westerners. Even in the most isolated areas, there will be people who speak English, and having a child puts you ahead in the game of making new associations. Korea as a whole is very child-friendly, and total strangers will attempt to interact with your child ... and you incidentally.

As for as diaper care, a furnished apartment (standard with most English-teaching jobs) should include a washer and a drying rack. A few places -- particularly newer places -- will come furnished with a HE washer/dryer combo. The upside to the combo units is that you don't have to have a rack of laundry drying in the middle of your apartment. The downside is that they take a lot longer than a standard wash/dry cycle in the U.S. (The unvented dryer in the combo is not particularly efficient.) The unit I bought could handle up to 10 kilos of laundry at a time and took three to three and a half hours to complete a full wash/dry cycle.

As far as laundry products, I usually bought soap at Lotte Mart or E-mart (two of the larger Wal-Mart/Target equivalents). Korea is really into the whole "well-being" movement right now, so it's actually pretty easy to find environmentally friendly products on the local economy. If you want something more familiar, Costco carries Tide and generally some "free and clear" western brand.

Should you need disposables at any point, you should be able to find these in any larger Korean supermarket. Just be sure that you know your daughter's weight in kilograms. As for cloth, though, you're making a wise choice in taking those from the States. ...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #23
kettle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickul View Post
I taught in Korea for six years. The first year in a big city with lots of other foreigners was actually the worst because my employer was a thief and a liar. Four of the next five years were spent in a town of about 40,000 where, for the first year and a half, I was the ONLY westerner in town. Had I not met my husband, I'd still be there because the job was great, the people nice, and the area pretty much ideal. Sometimes it's actually easier to live in less westernized areas because the local residents are less likely to have had past bad dealings with westerners. Even in the most isolated areas, there will be people who speak English, and having a child puts you ahead in the game of making new associations. Korea as a whole is very child-friendly, and total strangers will attempt to interact with your child ... and you incidentally.

As for as diaper care, a furnished apartment (standard with most English-teaching jobs) should include a washer and a drying rack. A few places -- particularly newer places -- will come furnished with a HE washer/dryer combo. The upside to the combo units is that you don't have to have a rack of laundry drying in the middle of your apartment. The downside is that they take a lot longer than a standard wash/dry cycle in the U.S. (The unvented dryer in the combo is not particularly efficient.) The unit I bought could handle up to 10 kilos of laundry at a time and took three to three and a half hours to complete a full wash/dry cycle.

As far as laundry products, I usually bought soap at Lotte Mart or E-mart (two of the larger Wal-Mart/Target equivalents). Korea is really into the whole "well-being" movement right now, so it's actually pretty easy to find environmentally friendly products on the local economy. If you want something more familiar, Costco carries Tide and generally some "free and clear" western brand.

Should you need disposables at any point, you should be able to find these in any larger Korean supermarket. Just be sure that you know your daughter's weight in kilograms. As for cloth, though, you're making a wise choice in taking those from the States. ...
Ditto all of this! Koreans are VERY child friendly (a little too much sometimes!). And you could not pay me to live in or near Seoul. If your husband is still looking for work tell him to check out Mokpo, Gwangju or Yeosu. These are all reasonably large cities with vibrant foreigner communities. They're much less polluted than any of the larger cities.

There are two other Western families with kids in my city and we love it here. We're going into our third year. My son was born here in Korea.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #24
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettle View Post
And you could not pay me to live in or near Seoul. If your husband is still looking for work tell him to check out Mokpo, Gwangju or Yeosu. These are all reasonably large cities with vibrant foreigner communities. They're much less polluted than any of the larger cities.
I will let my husband know. I have been very concerned about being in an area that is so small that I won't be able to find anything familiar to home but he's a traveler, has been to South Korea before (was in Ilsan, Kuri City, and Taejon) as well as Germany so this is NOTHING for him. But me, I'm a BIG TIME homebody with deep roots and this is VERY hard for me but I'm giving it a go. He would actually like to be farther out from Seoul because he wants something a little more relaxed so maybe this would be a good compromise. I just do not want to end up in the boonies again. Been in the boonies here for two years and have about gone CRAZY! I want to be able to find other mommies to meet up with wherever we end up. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #25
ourfamilyof5
Registered Users
Formerly: jaydenandsethsmommy
seller

My Mood:

I do not live in South Korea, but just wanted to say hi! My husband will be there in a few days for business, he is in China right now. Gone for a total of 2 weeks & his 1st time out of the states! I can't wait to hear all the details about his trip when he gets home. I've already heard a few already, so much different than the states!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #26
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, looks like everything is getting set with a job and the one my husband is planning to take is north of Seoul, just ten miles from the DMZ! Eek! Still won't be there myself for another couple of months but hopefully once I'm there, I'll get to know people better and all that.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
buff
Registered Users
seller

I just joined DS and found this thread. So excited! I just moved back to Korea in Jan. (Taught in Seoul 1yr. -went home - taught in Pohang for a year and a half - went home - now I'm in Seongnam but I'm not teaching, I'm a SAHM-to-be). I'm expecting our first in July and have been trying to figure out how to manage CDing here, mostly with detergents. I'd love to hear about what detergents you're using and where you get them. I'm terrified of spending money on a bunch of dipes and ruining them or causing major build-up issues with the wrong detergent. I'm having a hard enough time convincing DH to go with cloth, if finding detergent is easy, that will make it easier to convince him.
buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #28
lovemyzoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in seongnam too. I use flats and prefolds, with nylon covers, wool and fleece so not to worrued about messing up. Although alot of Korean soap is mre natural and free and clear. I know what the stuf I use looks like to see it but can't read it or say it. Went with a friend to have her help me get free and clear stuff.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
hylenski
Registered Users

Hello All,

My husband and I had a baby in 2007 in Sokcho, South Korea. But due to some visa issues, we had to wait till this year to return. We are coming back to Korea on Tuesday and will be living in Gyeungsang, just outside of Daegu. We are both working at a local university and have a young 16month old.

We have been using Gdiapers for Hana's entire life and have really struggled with the decision on what to do here in Korea...disposables just don't sit well, so we were wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how we can get by with cloth diapers, etc. Any ideas?

We were thinking of shipping a year's supply of gdiapers, but the cost is absurd. We read a bit of everyone's posts and it seems this may be the crew to contact. We'd really love your suggestions.

Thanks
Shauna and Bryan
hylenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #30
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylenski View Post
Hello All,

My husband and I had a baby in 2007 in Sokcho, South Korea. But due to some visa issues, we had to wait till this year to return. We are coming back to Korea on Tuesday and will be living in Gyeungsang, just outside of Daegu. We are both working at a local university and have a young 16month old.

We have been using Gdiapers for Hana's entire life and have really struggled with the decision on what to do here in Korea...disposables just don't sit well, so we were wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how we can get by with cloth diapers, etc. Any ideas?

We were thinking of shipping a year's supply of gdiapers, but the cost is absurd. We read a bit of everyone's posts and it seems this may be the crew to contact. We'd really love your suggestions.

Thanks
Shauna and Bryan
Well, I'll admit, my daughter is at the end of the deal, potty training for the most part but we're using pocket diapers for overnight. These at least can be filled as much as you want (we're using microfiber towels from the auto department at Wal-Mart, they are $5 for eight washcloth sized towels) but at the same time, they can be washed and hung up to dry and they dry VERY QUICKLY. This seems to be a good option since access to a dryer is limited.

It looks like we're now going to be in Ilsan. My husband has finally found a contract to sign on and from my understanding that all has been done now, he just needs to get everything in to them. The position doesn't start until March 2nd but that will get him time to get things settled and to get us over there. He's been in South Korea three months now and it's been really hard on all of us.

But yeah, pocket diapers would probably be the way to go. I don't know how many diapers your little one is using so maybe check out various cloth diapers websites on that and then maybe try to find a good deal on here for diapers. I got most of my pockets from here.