Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
MotherGoose518
Registered Users

Nursing while pregnant/tandem nursing question...

First of all, no I'm not. But AF is back so it could happen. I don't want to get pregnant now, but possibly we might start trying in the fall or Christmas time. With such a huge age gap betwen her and all of the other kids I would really like her to have a close in age sibling like the rest of them do. That being said, I really really want to nurse to at least 2 years. I read that 26% of babies will wean when the milk starts to change during mid to late pregnancy. I'm worried about this happening (which is kind of silly because I have fertility issues an took clomid to conceive her). I guess this is more of a tandem nursing question. Have any of you had a baby/child wean during pregnancy and then start again after the new baby was born? How did you approach that? Did they ask, or did you offer? How long had the older baby been away from the breast and did they still know how to do it? Thanks!

Advertisement

MTHFR + possible Ehler's Danlos Syndrome
Lovenox, Folic Acid Therapy, Aspirin Therapy
MotherGoose518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing while pregnant/tandem nursing question...

I am due in August and my dd just turned 2 in May. She was only nursing in the morning since about Jan or Feb and in April my milk started to get pretty dry...and turned to colostrum. She asked to nurse about 5-6 times last month. I let her...and a few times so far this month. She only ever nurses for a few minutes. She still talks about my milk and still expresses an interest. I have a feeling she will start back up when my milk comes in...
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherGoose518 View Post
First of all, no I'm not. But AF is back so it could happen. I don't want to get pregnant now, but possibly we might start trying in the fall or Christmas time. With such a huge age gap betwen her and all of the other kids I would really like her to have a close in age sibling like the rest of them do. That being said, I really really want to nurse to at least 2 years. I read that 26% of babies will wean when the milk starts to change during mid to late pregnancy. I'm worried about this happening (which is kind of silly because I have fertility issues an took clomid to conceive her). I guess this is more of a tandem nursing question. Have any of you had a baby/child wean during pregnancy and then start again after the new baby was born? How did you approach that? Did they ask, or did you offer? How long had the older baby been away from the breast and did they still know how to do it? Thanks!

GOod luck TTC when you guys decide it's time

I am currently pregnant, and have a 2 yr old (just turned 2) he started wenaing himself (not asking nearly as much AND not nursing as long when he did) about 1.5 months ago. Im just 17 weeks now.Im not sure if it was pregnancy related or not - but here we are.

I know quite a few gals who had a child wean during the pregnancy and then start back up after the baby was born. From what I remember, for all of them - they figured it was over, but the older child started to ask again - so they went with it. I remember a couple of them saying the child had a little hard time at first - remembering how, but they figured it out fast.

Hope that helps you
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

I know a few people whose child weaned during pregnancy and restarted again once the younger sibling was born.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mere D'Anna View Post
I know a few people whose child weaned during pregnancy and restarted again once the younger sibling was born.
wow, that's encouraging! I really wanted to nurse my DS at least once or twice a day till he was 2 - I'm pregnant now & DS will be 18 months old when this next LO is born.

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, good! I'm planning on nursing all the way through this pregnancy (as long as DS will) and hopefully tandem nurse after. Sam will be 23 months when the next baby is born, and I want to still be nursing him at that point.