Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Your input about this thought? :)

Okay, here's my status now [I posted a few weeks ago about having issues with BF'ing my son in this thread: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=494760 [not really milk supply] more on his part.

So after meeting basically with the LLL leader in my area and talking to an LC and the peditrician all agreed that I did need to supplement because DS was dehydrated and still 1/2 lb UNDER birth weight at about a month old.

Anyway, it's going fine. He gained just under a pound in the first week. I do try to pump as much as I can but only get an ounce or two at most, so I mix it with formula...

After he hit above birth weight I did try to stop the supplementing but he stopped gaining again and started doing the same thing basically.

We found he's just a "sleepy/lazy" baby and doing all the "tricks" to keep him awake just don't work. It would take nearly 2 hours to do a feeding and he would still be hungry...

So I'm just continuing supplementing and nursing [nursing first always].

Anyway, I got to thinking today and wonderfing if a nipple shield might help him? My theory is that he takes a bottle just fine and won't fall asleep so I was wondering if using a nipple shield might have the same effect and therefore I could EBF again.

Just a passing thought and there was never any mention of sheilds during my meetings because there of course is not nipple confusion.
I was just thinking now that the illusion of a nipple to DS might encourage him to continue eating...

Not sure, so I appreciate any input

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Your input about this thought? :)

I would try i mean if it helps get rid of bottles they its worth it in my opinion. good luck I have been following your story and I wish you the best!

Clarissa
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think the problem is the illusion, the problem is the amount of effort it takes to nurse from the breast versus sucking on a bottle. The flow of milk comes much easier from the bottle. And if he's a sleepy baby, it only makes sense that he'd want to get as much as he can as fast as he can.

If you were to do anything besides EBFing at the breast, I would pump and syringe feed after each nursing session so you're sure to get adequate nutrition in him. But without making him "lazier" about nursing by encouraging the bottle more, y'know?
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadensmommy View Post
I would try i mean if it helps get rid of bottles they its worth it in my opinion. good luck I have been following your story and I wish you the best!

Clarissa
Ahhhh...thanks mama! I feel honored that someone was following it!

I mean I've come to a peace about supplementing as far as that goes...I'm just not keen on washing bottles again!! LOL....with a toddler already running around and also I go to school full time working on my master's degree, there is just little time to do much of anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I don't think the problem is the illusion, the problem is the amount of effort it takes to nurse from the breast versus sucking on a bottle. The flow of milk comes much easier from the bottle. And if he's a sleepy baby, it only makes sense that he'd want to get as much as he can as fast as he can.

If you were to do anything besides EBFing at the breast, I would pump and syringe feed after each nursing session so you're sure to get adequate nutrition in him. But without making him "lazier" about nursing by encouraging the bottle more, y'know?
Hmmmm...that is a good thought!! In the very beginning [like at a few days old when he was still learning to latch] I did do the syringe but he spit more out than ate!
I'm also wondering as he gets older and stronger/even more alert that the laziness period will pass?? Not sure..
He already seems to be doing a bit better, but not enough to stop cold turkey.

Oh I forgot to say though that I use the nursers that act as a breast nipple, so he still has to suck to get it...that's why I was wondering if the shield/nipple itself would help.....
Old 08-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Oh Nicole, by the way I always meant to tell you your ava is too cute!! Is that a wrap he's playing with???
Old 08-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

Hmmmm...that is a good thought!! In the very beginning [like at a few days old when he was still learning to latch] I did do the syringe but he spit more out than ate!
I'm also wondering as he gets older and stronger/even more alert that the laziness period will pass?? Not sure..
He already seems to be doing a bit better, but not enough to stop cold turkey.

Oh I forgot to say though that I use the nursers that act as a breast nipple, so he still has to suck to get it...that's why I was wondering if the shield/nipple itself would help.....
The mechanics of extracting milk from a breast are still more complicated and labor intensive than extracting milk from a bottle. A bottle responds to sucking, but a breast has to be massaged and sucked in the correct rhythm. KWIM?
Another option, aside from a syringe, would be an SNS. That way he could get all his intake at the breast. Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Oh Nicole, by the way I always meant to tell you your ava is too cute!! Is that a wrap he's playing with???
Oh, thank you! Yes, that was him being silly on the kitchen floor in a Didymos Tobi
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
The mechanics of extracting milk from a breast are still more complicated and labor intensive than extracting milk from a bottle. A bottle responds to sucking, but a breast has to be massaged and sucked in the correct rhythm. KWIM?
Another option, aside from a syringe, would be an SNS. That way he could get all his intake at the breast. Just a thought

Oh, thank you! Yes, that was him being silly on the kitchen floor in a Didymos Tobi
Yeah you know I need to get an SNS when we get the money. [Ughh...another long story and our local school board sucks is all I can say!! No one communicates so my DH has essentially been screwed out of being rehired this year!]

But yeah, I'll get an SNS...I think that will work great and like you said, he's still on the breast!

That didymos is beautiful! I love blue!! My Ergo is blue!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
nina730
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i use a nipple shield because its the only way my 3 week old son will latch, he also gets bottles of pumped milk. he's doing just fine, he's gained 14oz already. i would try it, the main thing is getting your baby to eat, any way you can. and the more breast milk you can get him to take the less formula you'll have to use. good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely try it! What can it hurt?
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
jennylou
Registered Users

I agree with the SNS system.