Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Amulet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Night weaning?

Advertisement

Last edited by Amulet; 04-28-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Amulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
bellydancer1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night weaning?

We did it slowly, one feeding at a time (with my oldest, Gavin isn't night weaned yet). I would let him suck for a minute, then cover up and rock him. Eventually (took about a week per feeding, if I remember correctly), he stopped wanting those feedings and slept a bit better. I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

IHA:3 Mutts still available. If you don't like my price, make me an offer!
bellydancer1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

no advice but i'm totally in the same boat!! and Mia must know it b/c as soon as i was getting the courage up to actually do it, she got a cold ( like she did it on purpose) . so now i have to wait for her to recover andd then work up the courage again!! she'll probably be 2 adn still nursing 3 times a night
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
lokibaby
Registered Users

ugh - I hear ya! It is tough, and I feel for you. I think night weaning is a good idea - especially since a few friends didn't do it and are still up through the night to nurse their 15 and 18 month olds. That is a long time to go with little sleep! I finally have DD down to two wakings a night...that is doable right now.
lokibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Happygrl6
Registered Users
seller

Just something to keep in mind...nightweaning doesn't mean she won't wake up anymore. I know MANY mamas who have nightweaned under similar circumstances and their babes still wake.

ISO Boyish Side-snapping AI2s in Mediums, especially Grasshoppers diapers
Happygrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokibaby View Post
ugh - I hear ya! It is tough, and I feel for you. I think night weaning is a good idea - especially since a few friends didn't do it and are still up through the night to nurse their 15 and 18 month olds. That is a long time to go with little sleep! I finally have DD down to two wakings a night...that is doable right now.
I was one of those who waited... and I don't regret it. She quit waking at night when she 16-17 months. Done. Over. No drama.

I will say that I would let DD fuss a bit if she was up too often just to see if she would work it out on her own... she often did.

Also, we moved her out of our room when it was clear that we were keeping her awake. She was 14 months.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I finally night weaned my DD at around 19 months old. I got tired of getting up every 2-3 hours when it was only a habit. Dh and I set a plan and one day I told DD she wouldn't get mommy milk if she woke up at night. I sent DH in there when she woke up and he held her, shushed her, loved her, but didn't give her a boob. She was VERY upset the first night, but each night was consistently less and after about 4 nights she stopped waking. Which was nice since I was pg at the time.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you nurse her to sleep during the day for naps?

The reason I ask is because w/ my DS- I started early having him not relate nursing with sleeping. Of course, sometimes it happens- which isn't bad- but it wasn't a habit. At 3 months he just figured out how to sleep consistently 9-10 hrs wihtout waking to nurse (without the use of CIO). Also, I'm not opposed to paci's- so now if he does wake at night (which is not very often at all)- I can go in and just put his paci back in his mouth and he's fine- or he'll fuss for like 1-2 minutes and fall back asleep (I don't let him fuss longer than that because I worry that he'll wake himself up too much)...

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
BA Cloth Diapering
Registered Users
Formerly: jones_AndreaL

my dd is almost 15 mos and she still wakes up 2-3 times to nurse. she sleeps in our bed which is starting to get old. It was fine at first b/c i just kept a pillow behind my back and fell back asleep when she was nursing. but now it is starting to hurt my back and neck! I like, though, that she only nurses a couple minutes and then turns her head and falls back asleep--DS would suck all night long if i let him. drove me crazy! we definately night-weaned him. we used the babywise method with him, but we are using the AP-cosleeping method with DD. I am patiently (and painfully) waiting for her to stop waking up all on her own. good luck to those in my boat!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Amulet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Amulet; 04-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Amulet is offline   Reply With Quote