Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
statikradio
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night weaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulet View Post
We don't cosleep so I don't know what difference that makes. I have tried a paci & a bottle, but she refuses both. I am at a loss as to what I should do. This past week it has gotten so much worse. She was up every hour last night.
I am in the same boat as you.
There were a couple of nights DS was up every hour.

Now it's just every 2 hours
I guess it was a growth spurt, but still, 2 hours still stinks!
I wish I knew what to do to get him to sleep without having me as a voracious snack. (He gulps down 2 boobies full sometimes!) He doesn't want a paci when he wakes up in the night either unless he eats bm first, then he takes the paci and goes right back to sleep. He doesn't use bottles even if I pump so I gave that up. I put him in his crib in dd's room or I let him lay with me. It doesn't make a difference. I've even tried feeding him baby food 3 times a day and tonight I tried cereal before bed.....didn't work. DH still insists I keep trying the feeding cereal at night for a while to get a "schedule" but I don't know that it will really do anything accept make him full. He is the oldest of 11 and he swears his mom did that and it worked, but I see a lot of mamas on here say that's just a myth so I am confused as to what the truth is.

Advertisement

** Mom of two **

Last edited by statikradio; 08-13-2008 at 10:00 PM.
statikradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
bama
Registered Users
seller

I am with ya! We are going to be night weaning very soon! Dh is going to be going in and comforting ds so I can get some sleep.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i totally wouldn't mind if mia NEEDED or WANTED to actually eat in the middle of the night, but she totally doesn't. she just latches on and falls back to sleep. she doens't get nursed to sleep druing the day or before bed, just in the middle of the night. i've tried just rocking her, and it just made her mad. i've sent dh in there and that just REALLY ticked her off. i do NOT want to cio, but fear that's what we're going to have to do (one day...no time soon ) LOL
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

i feel your pain momma, I have been thinking of the same thing!!!!!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
marsha
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS weaned at night on his own and luckily it was at 8 months. It was around that time that he began sleeping through the night. I am fortunate to be able to stay home, so I didn't mind getting up in the night to nurse. Plus we just have one right now, so if we had a rough night, I'd just nap too. Well, I nap all the time now anyway! LOL!!

I do believe that babies will just do it when they are ready. Exampled by the babies I hear about sleeping through the night before 3 months to the ones that don't sleep through until after 2 years old. I do think you may be able to do things to encourage the process, but I'm no expert and really don't have any advice. I think it's tough, unless you just wait until they just do it whenever that may be.

Sorry I don't have any advice, just hugs! I know we've all come to that point of wishing the LO's were sleeping through the night and wondering how much longer we can do it.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried gradual weaning. It seemed to me that she woke up more just to see if maybe THIS TIME I would nurse her. I was so sleep deprived I was getting stupid during the day. I was starting to doubt that I was safe to drive a car!
4 nights ago (she is 12 & 1/2 months) I decided to cut it out cold turkey. The first night she woke up for about 15 minutes every single hour. The second night she woke up at 2,4 and 6. last night she slept from 8:30 pm to 6:45 am.
Every night I have gone in and fed her without waking her at 11 pm.
If you are certain your LO is getting enough food during the day, cold turkey is my recommendation. My Pedi suggested not feeding her at night after she started to get teeth, but I figured she must NEED it or she wouldn't be waking up. Now, I think if she can get over it so fast, she must not be really hungry at all.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia&seansmom View Post
i totally wouldn't mind if mia NEEDED or WANTED to actually eat in the middle of the night, but she totally doesn't. she just latches on and falls back to sleep. she doens't get nursed to sleep druing the day or before bed, just in the middle of the night. i've tried just rocking her, and it just made her mad. i've sent dh in there and that just REALLY ticked her off. i do NOT want to cio, but fear that's what we're going to have to do (one day...no time soon ) LOL
I was a sleep-deprived mama w/ DD for almost 2 years. I night-weaned her at about 1 year, but she still woke frequently for various reasons. I was at a loss until several "seasoned" mothers told me that it had nothing to do with what I had done or what I had NOT done... it was merely her tempermant. She just wasn't the best sleeper... and at 4 yrs. old, she STILL isn't the best sleeper.

One thing we need (and sometimes I hate to) remember is that our babies do wake for certain reason: growing pains, teething, separation anxiety, inability to go from wake-to-sleep cycles smoothly without fully waking, or just needing comfort.

If you feel led to start night-weaning her, then do it! Also, just remember, that it's okay to let your baby cry when you or DH are holding her. You are there, comforting her. Sure, she is ticked off, but she will learn to trust that comfort that you and DH are giving her. It will be hard to bear to listen to the screaming and crying, but you are holding her and giving her another type of comfort, instead of your breast. I had to do that with DD, and eventually she got it. She let me hold her and she was okay with that.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #18
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
Also, just remember, that it's okay to let your baby cry when you or DH are holding her. You are there, comforting her. Sure, she is ticked off, but she will learn to trust that comfort that you and DH are giving her. It will be hard to bear to listen to the screaming and crying, but you are holding her and giving her another type of comfort, instead of your breast. I had to do that with DD, and eventually she got it. She let me hold her and she was okay with that.

well said Mama. I slept in the recliner right next to her crib and patted her bum as she cried. I do not consider that CIO.
it is ok for her to cry tears of protest. Crying is how they communicate with us. Crying in fear or pain is something totally different.

Last edited by Jz_Doll; 08-15-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Jz_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #19
jollygoodANDgreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Cloth Diapering View Post
my dd is almost 15 mos and she still wakes up 2-3 times to nurse. she sleeps in our bed which is starting to get old. It was fine at first b/c i just kept a pillow behind my back and fell back asleep when she was nursing. but now it is starting to hurt my back and neck! I like, though, that she only nurses a couple minutes and then turns her head and falls back asleep--DS would suck all night long if i let him. drove me crazy! we definately night-weaned him. we used the babywise method with him, but we are using the AP-cosleeping method with DD. I am patiently (and painfully) waiting for her to stop waking up all on her own. good luck to those in my boat!
reading this just made me laugh. Only because I've been there twice already & am now there AGAIN & DS is only 5 months, I've got such a long road ahead. Arghhh.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't actually intend to night wean ds, but that's basically what happened. I started letting him fuss it out (not cry or scream, FUSS) a week ago and come to find out he fusses around for about 5 minutes or so and then falls right back to sleep. Never gets really upset and cries at all. I was just jumping up too fast. I think that when we jump up at every sound we can actually make the situation worse because they never learn to comfort themselves- sometimes they aren't really even upset, just waking to move around and switch positions much like we do. I think it's just his natural rhythm waking him and then he has to move around and get himself in a new position to get comfortable. I did that with his first waking, fed him at his second waking, and then let him fuss with his third waking. That worked FAB for us. I found that he would actually EAT at the 3 am waking as opposed to doing the two minute suck with each waking. So we did that for a week. Once a night makes a HUGE difference as opposed to three.

Then the other night I accidentally set both the baby monitors on my dd's channel. I dream fed him at around 11 and then woops- I woke up at 6 am!? I thought, CRAP....what happened to him?! So I started walking down the hall and realized he was fussing in there but I couldn;t hear it in our room. OH NO! Well, I went in and got him and he was just fine. He was awake and fussing, but he hadn't been screaming, he wasn't red and sweaty, just fussy...I felt like a horrible mom, nonetheless... Anyway, since that night I have been dream feeding him (between 10 and 12) and then he's been sleeping until 7am?! I guess he just needed that extra push even though I didn't mean to do it!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote