Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
sweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
emergency foster care questions

i work in the labor and delivery area of our local hospital and we just had a lady give birth to a baby + for drugs... she has 5 other children who do not live with her and cps will not allow her to take this little girl home and "grandma" cant take in any more children. so she is all alone... i held her for a while last night and it reminded me of my days living in africa and taking care of the abandoned babies who were too little or too sick to go to an orphanage. oh how beautiful this little girl is. i kept joking around with the nursery nurses that i wanted to take her and all they needed to do was take her alarm band off. they make fun of me cause im a milk machine... they told me i could have her. obviously there are lots of rules and regulations but does anyone know how one becomes part of an emergency foster care home for babies like this one? ive checked on dss' website for our state and it just isnt clear... gov offices are often so difficult to get in touch with... so i thought i would ask here

THANKS

Advertisement

sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: emergency foster care questions

I would call DSS and ask for the intake worker, preferably for this particular case. You can tell them that you are a ped nurse currently caring for the baby in the hospital (so you know all her med info) and would like to be considered to take her if they can't find a home for her.

You'd have to get a criminal check, fingerprints, and medical from your DR. and then would have to go through the MAPP or PRIDE (whatever is the training where you live), but there are many foster homes who take children before they are 100% licensed.

It really depends on the supply/demand where you live for medical foster homes - and she would be considered medically needy at least as long as she's going through withdrawal.

I would even ask if they could consider it a kinship placement because you have a "history" with the baby. Throw around words like that and they'll at least know you mean business and have researched a bit, and they could be more likely to place her with you.

Problem though - no nursing..... you could always have a don't ask, don't tell policy, but there are very few agencies that would allow a foster mom to breastfeed.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chances are, though, if any of the siblings are in foster care, those foster homes will be contacted first for placement.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
sweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for your fast response.... not sure if dh is on board though... i kinda asked when i got home from work this morning and he looked at me like i was crazy....the timing is a bit off but the need is now for this little one and i just feel so bad for her. i believe that the rest of her siblings are with other family members... but grandma wants NOTHING to do with another child

a little history... i would love to be taking care of aids orphans like i did when i lived in africa but we are "stuck" in america right now and so i just feel like this could be an awesome way to channel that passion
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
JayCee33
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I agree with what the PP said. Try to get a hold of her intake worker, or even the worker for the other children (she should be given the same worker as her siblings) and let them know you would be willing to take her. There is usually a high demand for foster parents willing to take newborns. Here in OK there are babies sitting in the forster care shelter for longer than is legal, because there are no homes to place them in.
Good luck I hope you can help this precious little one.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
juclark77
Registered Users

In my area, it would take so long for you to finish your foster care classes that the baby would already be placed with someone else. Here they won't let you do any fostering until the classes and background check etc... are finished. However, they really need people like you to do emergency foster care. Emergency foster care providers here are regular foster parents who say they are willing to take emergency placements. You could be a great blessing to other babies down the road. If you are interested in adopting this one, you might have a chance. You could probably be done with the required classes, etc before they decide to terminate parental rights, and they may consider you based on your history with the baby. Good luck!
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If this is something you are feeling "called" to do, even if you don't get THIS baby, there will be a million more just like her who would be blessed to have you as their "mommy" for as long as they need you.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my area you have to a foster parent (obviously) and at the moment our agency has two homes (me and another) who will take newborns as an emergency. Here they are few and far between and I've been waiting a long while for another one. Since last summer.
Also here you need to be an at home mom as they are too young for Daycare (or too sick) and have lots of visits, and also they don't pay for daycare, so the whole stripend plus more would go to day care costs.
If you really feel called to do it, go to the orientation meeting and get started, you can ask lots of questions and see if it's for you.
One county over from us has lots of newborns straight from the hospital, and they do what is called Satellite care, they have a few newborn only homes where the babies go till they know what to do, either they are reunited or move onto foster/adopt homes.
Pity that county won't send babies over the county line. I'd be busy.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Yes, but you CAN contact your DCFS offices about becoming a medical foster home. They are in DIRE need of homes for medical needs foster children every state in this country has problems getting enough homes for them.

I can't speak for every state but when we considered going down that path, they required that one parent stay home full-time for medical needs placements And, I know ds's fostermom was a retired nurse, so no need to go out.

In most states, if you don't need the benefits from your job and you have the space, just 2-3 medical needs foster kids will equal your monthly pay as an RN. Ds's fostermom was licensed for 6 kids in her home, though 3 were her adopted kids she still had space for 3 medical needs foster kids as well.

For medical needs fostercare, you have to go through the standard process and then extra training on top of that. Ds's fostermom has done it for 12 years now. She has 2 shaken babies, both placed as infants, one child with a heart condition that is not correctable also placed as an infant, one with Juevenile Diabetes and she had DS with Cystic Fibrosis. When he left, she took a 5 month old shaken baby and a 17 month old taken for drug issues developmenal delays.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

It seems like it varies quite a bit by area In my parents area known drug babies and/ babies that already have siblings in the system are usually placed before they are even born. We've done quite a few of them and it seems like they are a lot of other emergency homes where they are at. They are snapped up pretty quick. In their area you have to be a foster care home to do emergency care and it took about a year and a half for them to do that. They are in need of homes though so they may quicken that up. Good luck!

PS - would you want to be an emergency home for older kiddos too? Something to think about - definitely needed too. We once had an 8 month old and a 2 yr old placed with us at 11:30PM! That was a hectic night, LOL.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote