Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
kevcar0603
Registered Users

The pill & breastfeeding questions

I'm 8 wks PP and want to start BC pills. My OB said regular pills are fine, but they can decrease your supply. She said she wasn't worried about me though considering I'm exclusively bfding and 8 wks established. I can pump to get it going again or keep on offering the breast. Any experience with this?? Has anyone had supply issues while on the pill??

TIA!!

Carrie

Advertisement

kevcar0603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: The pill & breastfeeding questions

i haven't experienced it but i was told the same thing about the pill and the depo shot. i'd ask a lactation consultant
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
wigglewormsmom
Registered Users
seller

I started on the mini pill 6 mos pp, and my supply diminished. I went off the pill and my supply never came back up. I didn't try fenugreek, but that's my experience.
Good Luck
Jerri
wigglewormsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Sassy Turtle
Registered Users

I started on the mini pill at 6 wks pp and didn't have any issues. I just weaned my ds at 20 months. You can also try oatmeal to help increase supply.
Sassy Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

the nuva ring is good for breastfeeding.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

Maybe you should try the mini pill. Thats what my doctor had recommended way back with my other kids, it didn't decrease my milk at all. Good luck. The diaphram doesn't have any hormones so that may be something to think about too.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

Nuvaring has the exact same hormones as combined birth control pills and so is not any better for breastfeeding (although it is a great birth control method - I loved it!).

The effect of either pill (or other hormonal birth control) on your supply varies - some people have no problems, some people have severe problems - there's no way to know which type of person you are. However, you should know that if you are exclusively breastfeeding, no supplementation or solids of any kind, not pumping and giving bottles and not going more than 4 hours without nursing (including at night) that "lactational amenorrhea" is as effective as the pill in preventing pregnancy.

If you don't meet those criteria, and you aren't planning to have another child in the next few years, a non-hormonal IUD is your most effective method of preventing pregnancy without risk of affecting milk supply (MORE effective than the pill). If you are planning to have another child relatively soon - the good old barrier methods -- condom or diaphragm plus spermicide - are your best bet.

It all depends on what's important to you. If it's more important to you not to get pregnant than to continue nursing as long as you want, but you don't want to wait 3-5 years (where the IUD gets cost-effective) for your next pregnancy, go for hormonal birth control. If you're willing to take a higher risk of pregnancy in order to maintain supply, I would recommend barrier methods.

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I have probably been on the mini pill for a couple months now. Yes, exactly two months actually since I just opened a new pack. I have not had any supply problems. I started just after Alex was 3 months old. That was the suggestion of my dr.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

kelly mom has some good info
Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend that recently started BC pill and her milk supply almost completely stopped. She immediately stopped the BC and supply came back for about a week and then the problems came back. She is pumping all day in between feedings and still can not get supply back. You can imagine how frustrating this must be for her. I have choosen not to risk it with the BC pills or the shot.
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote