Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: What time is bedtime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout18 View Post
Wow so I guess my boys do go to bed early!! Maybe I will start being a little more lienant in this area if they don't want to go to bed so early.
I don't think you should switch the times up at all. My ds is 7.5 months and goes between 6:30 and 7:00... dd is almost two and goes beteween 7:30 and 8. I am inching her bedtime back to 7:30... I got more lenient b/c it was staying light till later and she was having a hard time falling asleep.
For my family, we are pretty strict about earlier bedtimes. It gives me time before be to unwind, have a glass of wine and just hang out with dh or alone. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
ashkash
Registered Users
seller

Mine go to bed early too - it makes for much happier kiddos around here! The boys (4 & 2.5) are in bed around 7:30, sometimes 7:00 if they seem particularly tired. Once daylight savings time ends in a couple weeks, it will definitely be more like 7:00 most nights. They get up around 6:30, which is when I get up anyway. Ava is usually in bed around 7:00 too, sometimes earlier, sometimes a tad later, and wakes around 7:00 in the morning. None of them can really go to bed past 8:00, or they get very cranky.

I start my kids on an early bedtime routine as soon as possible, because by the evening, I need a break (and they need 11-12 hours of sleep). I also think it's very important for couples to be able to enjoy "alone" time without the kids around. In our house, the kids can visit with Daddy when he gets home from work, have dinner as a family, and then Daddy bathes them. Once they're in bed, DH & I are free to be a couple - even if it's just watching TV or reading the newspaper together. We're not the type to go out much (our kids have been left with a babysitter just once), so for us, this alone time is important.

So anyway, you're not alone in putting your kids to bed early! If it works for you & your family, I wouldn't let other people change your routine.
#5 Due 11/2012 - It's a GIRL!

ashkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
ashkash
Registered Users
seller

Hee hee, we posted almost the same thing at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandle View Post
I don't think you should switch the times up at all. My ds is 7.5 months and goes between 6:30 and 7:00... dd is almost two and goes beteween 7:30 and 8. I am inching her bedtime back to 7:30... I got more lenient b/c it was staying light till later and she was having a hard time falling asleep.
For my family, we are pretty strict about earlier bedtimes. It gives me time before be to unwind, have a glass of wine and just hang out with dh or alone. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
#5 Due 11/2012 - It's a GIRL!

ashkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, growing kids need tons of sleep, 12 hours is great! Keep 'em going to bed early! Mine are 3 1/2 & 16 mos, and the older one goes to bed at 8:30 and the baby goes to bed at 7:30. Claire will usually wake at least once to nurse and then they both wake up around 6:30 to get ready for daycare. I've read several books that say if you are having sleep problems with your kids, one of the easiest things to try is putting them to bed earlier, so they get more sleep (sleep begets sleep), as most kids will wake up around the same time, regardless of what time they went to bed. Growing kids (through teens) need way more sleep than adults!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ashkash - our children are almost the same age!! I think them going to bed early is good too so dh and I can get some alone time. Most of the time that is just watching tv or playing a video game together but hey its time for us! I too need time to just wind down after I put them to bed...even if its just a nice relaxing bath it gives me time for myself! Its just some nights the boys don't want to go to bed that early and i was wondering if I should force the issue. I've just been letting them play in their room quietly till 8pm then making them go to sleep! Guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing but on those night they want a little extra playtime I'll keep it till only 7:45-8pm and make them go to sleep! Thanks everyone.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #16
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

We have a 4yo, 2yo and newborn.

Newborn, goes to bed whenever. He is not on a set schedual yet. Once he gets a bit older (couple months old) I will probably start putting him down around 7.

2yo goes to bed at 7pm. She then sleeps until 7-8 depending on when big brother wakes up

4yo goes to bed around 8pm. The kiddies share a room so we have to seperate their bed times otherwise they are BOTH up until 9pm talking and getting cranky at one another. Gets old pretty quick. He wakes up sometime between 7-8am typically

Then naptime was 11am but now our schedual has changed a bit and its unrealistic for them to be in bed at 11 so we have pushed it back to noon.

DH travels (a lot) so we are very firm in bedtimes. Mom needs some time to unwind after kids go to bed!
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

My 4yo goes to bed between 7 and 8 - depends on the day and how early she woke up. She wakes up between 6 and 730.

The baby is 18mo and he just plain hates sleep. He goes down around 9pm and is up between 1 and 3 am, sometime for the day, sometimes he graces up by sleeping until 430am. (His reflux is a large part of why he doesn't sleep, that and the fact that he still isn't eating solids)

They share a room, so we keep bedtime separate.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #18
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

We all go to bed together at midnight. I usually stay awake studying until 1 or so (but in the bed with DS and DH). We get up between 10 and 12. lol Yes, I'm incredibly blessed with a 6 month old who will sleep 10-12 hours in a row. (although he wakes up to nurse, but that doesn't count, since neither one of us really has to "wake up" for that).
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #19
asandwick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
I agree, growing kids need tons of sleep, 12 hours is great! Keep 'em going to bed early! Mine are 3 1/2 & 16 mos, and the older one goes to bed at 8:30 and the baby goes to bed at 7:30. Claire will usually wake at least once to nurse and then they both wake up around 6:30 to get ready for daycare. I've read several books that say if you are having sleep problems with your kids, one of the easiest things to try is putting them to bed earlier, so they get more sleep (sleep begets sleep), as most kids will wake up around the same time, regardless of what time they went to bed. Growing kids (through teens) need way more sleep than adults!
Ditto! My babes are 34mo and 18mo and they got to bed btwn 7:30 & 8 and wake up btwn 6:30 & 7:00. They wake up the same time regardless of when they got to sleep!
asandwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #20
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i wish i could get dd to go to sleep that early. we've been mostly managing to get her to bed lately sometime between 8 and 9. i've tried getting her down earlier, but it just ends up taking longer to get her to go to sleep and she falls asleep at her usual time. she gets up between 7 and 8 in the am. and then an 1.5 nap or so between 12-2.

i would really like it if i could get her down earlier in the evening though. i love it the evenings she does go to sleep "early" (for her).