Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy I am distraught...

Okay so that may be a little dramatic, but it is how I feel. I am a SAHM to my almost 1yo DD. When she was 7mo we joined a playgroup (on meetup.com)... well the organizer has decided it is too much work and is disbanding the playgroup... all the other playgroups in my area are closed for membership. I don't want DD to end up the social-phobe I am...

We go to The Little gym once a week, is that enough? we are looking to have another LO (we are TTC... sorta) will that be enough? I am a very agoraphobic and I don't want to pass that on to my DD... I am terrible at meeting people on my own (I am a total homebody...)

I could really use some advice from some of you veteran SAHMs out there... thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: I am distraught...

Why don't you take over the playgroup? I mean, sure the old organizer can disband it, but if there's enough of you that want to do this, why don't you take over?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, first off, you could take over the Meetup group. The current organizer could change it so you're the organizer of the group and then you wouldn't have to deal with that.

Where have you been looking for playgroups/activities? Check the local libraries, they usually have storytimes and things like that. Check Yahoo groups. Look up Moms Clubs. http://www.momsclub.org/welcome.html

How about parenting groups that share interests? Like, LLL if you breastfeed. A babywearing group if you babywear. API if you're into attachment parenting. Go out to playgrounds and things like that. Let your child interact with the children he encounters.

There's really lots of ways. And if nothing else, you can just start your own playgroup.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
Why don't you take over the playgroup? I mean, sure the old organizer can disband it, but if there's enough of you that want to do this, why don't you take over?
I have emailed the organizer about that very thing... I haven't heard back yet.. and of course my mind is already on the worst case scenario... Unfortunately the news about this came out a few days ago and most of the group thinks it si closing, I am afraid we might lose a lot of the membership... but I guess we can build it back up..
Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could come over and entertain DS for me I'm a total homebody too, I haven't even found a playgroup for our youngest. DS#1 just started preschool, so now DS#2 is alone during the day with me. Then to top it off the weather keeps us inside all day long I cant wait until Nov-Dec!

Id keep trying with your old group or even start up a group of your own.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote