Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have experience w/ Reglan?

I am interested in people's experiences with Reglan. I have read it can cause fatigue/depression. I am having supply issues and the dr. said it can't hurt to try. He didn't even mention the side effects. I am wondering if it will be worth it.

My LO is 6 mos old and I successfully exclusively nursed 2 babies. Believe me when I say I have tried EVERYTHING to naturally increase my supply (I have been pumping after every feeding for 5 months). Dr. thinks that the combo of a hormonal imbalance, content, lazy baby and mastitis @ 1 wk are the cause of this low supply.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
TiffanyAcuff
Registered Users

Re: Anyone have experience w/ Reglan?

Megan,

My son was on Reglan at a very young age. I know that it can have psychological affects, but can't attest to what they are. I have not ever heard of using it to increase milk supply.

Have you tried eating a bowl of oatmeal (not quick oats, the real ones) twice a day and drinking lots of water? That is what most of the moms I know do to increase milk supply. Also, have you tried sleeping in a comfy chair and letting him nurse through the night a few times? Do you nurse on demand or on a schedule? That can affect your milk supply, too...
TiffanyAcuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
keedalee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took it to increase my supply when it was getting low and DD was 9 months old. The doctor only had me take a 10-12? day supply, increasing the dosage over the first 3 days, and then decreasing over the last three days. It worked, but not for much over a month. I went on it again when DD was 11 months old, just to get her to one year - also I was pumping for a milk bank as well. I didn't experience any depression or fatigue, but that might be why the dr. did the short dosing??
Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for responding. The original use for Reglan is for GI Issues but can be used for milk supply in a nursing mother.

I have done it all over the past 6 months... oatmeal, herbs, water, tea, pumping, pumping and more pumping. I even had a 5 day "nurse-in" where I spent most of the day and night in bed w/ my DD while my DH (a teacher who is off for the summer) tended to the house and our 2 older children. I had my thyroid checked, and that's fine. I supplement but I use an SNS so that DD spends extra time at the breast. I am a point where I try this and see what happens or just continue to supplement. I wish it didn't have to be at a point where I'm considering using presciption drugs, but it is.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keedalee View Post
I took it to increase my supply when it was getting low and DD was 9 months old. The doctor only had me take a 10-12? day supply, increasing the dosage over the first 3 days, and then decreasing over the last three days. It worked, but not for much over a month. I went on it again when DD was 11 months old, just to get her to one year - also I was pumping for a milk bank as well. I didn't experience any depression or fatigue, but that might be why the dr. did the short dosing??

Thanks - the prescription is at the pharmacy, so I have to see what my dosage is. I wonder if it would have kept working if you had kept taking it or it's something that you can build a tolerance to. I don't have any history of depression, so I suspect that I may not have that type of issue. When you pumped, did you notice a big increase in the amount you pumped?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
keedalee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't notice a big increase at first, but over the first five days it did go up...I'm not sure if it was the meds to blame for my supply going back down, I think that some of it was me trying to pump at work and getting extremely busy once the school year started and not having as much time to pump, etc...who knows...I got DD to a year without having to give her formula or anything, and then had tons in the freezer that I was able to give her as well. Then I sent the rest off to the Indiana's Mothers Milk Bank.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keedalee View Post
I didn't notice a big increase at first, but over the first five days it did go up...I'm not sure if it was the meds to blame for my supply going back down, I think that some of it was me trying to pump at work and getting extremely busy once the school year started and not having as much time to pump, etc...who knows...I got DD to a year without having to give her formula or anything, and then had tons in the freezer that I was able to give her as well. Then I sent the rest off to the Indiana's Mothers Milk Bank.
That's great you were able to donate. I've been supplementing with the milk that I pump after she is done a feeding. I've got to the point where that seemed a little more difficult than was necessary, KWIM? So I tried a full out nurse-a-thon but it didn't seem to help. I might try the Reglan for a week or 2 and see what happens. I'm going to keep up my regular pumping routine and see if there is a difference in her weight gain. I'm glad to know that you didn't have side effects though - I have to remember it doesn't happen to everyone.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you have a history of depression or anxiety - do watch yourself for these side effects. By day three, on Reglan, I was a total mess... but it did increase my supply.

I stopped the Reglan and had my Dr Rx me Domperidone (motillum?)... it's very expensive and it didn't increase my milk as much as Reglan but I did not have any physical or mental side effects.

Just thought I'd let you know there is another option out there.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
luvmyfluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took it for a couple weeks when I was pumping for my twins. I don't remember having any adverse reactions, but that was over 3 yrs. ago. I remember that it did boost my supply though. It wouldn't hurt to try and if you start feeling like it's affecting you, just stop taking it.
luvmyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it did boost my supply, but it made me tired and nauseous, so i quit taking it and just stuck to fenugreek & blessed thistle. for me, the herbs worked just as well w/o the side effects.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote