View Poll Results: Do you really say mean things or expect and explanation from FFing mamas?
Yes 3 1.30%
No 204 88.70%
Sometimes 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #81
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Re: Do you really say mean things or expect an explanation?

Do I wish that every mom could/would EBF ? Yes. Am I willing to ruin a friendship or make an enemy over it ? No.

When a mother doesn't BF, I usually think.. hmm I wonder why? Sometimes it's for a reason sometimes just because they choose not to. The thing that irritates me more than ANYTHING is a mother who had good intentions of BFing, for it to be ruined but someone's bad advice. Especially when it's a medical professional it makes me so angry!! I've gotten a lot of comments anti-BFing as well.. how my baby was too big and needed *more* than BM.. lol. I wish that hospitals were better equipped with breast feeding knowledge and maybe more women would have success at breast feeding. It seems the lactation consultants are not respected at most hospitals (at least around here) and the nurses just regard them as "the breast feeding lady" who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Advertisement

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #82
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I've never put down a FF Mom-here or IRL-because I was one with my first. I've not shared my story why we couldn't BF, but don't feel the need to. It's personal and if someone thinks negatively of me for it, or would say I am a bad Mother because of it, then they aren't someone that knows me well or someone I would want as a friend anyway.

I also don't expect an explanation from anyone and have never asked why someone formula feeds. I wouldn't ask why someone breastfeeds, so why would I for a formula feeding Mom? I think probably 98% of the time it's the same answer on either side-because it's what is best for me and MY child.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #83
TBNMPL
Banned

I believe in EBF to the point of no bottles or paci's at all, but I would never ever judge another mama because of a personal choice. I don't know the reasons behind why they chose to FF but honestly I don't even think about it. I grew up watching everyone around me FF so it was a miracle that I even went the BF route and I owe it all to my SIL who introduced me to the idea. If it wasn't for her BFing her first born I wouldn't have even realized it was an option because nobody seems to advocate it in my area.

I however have been ridiculed by family members, strangers, etc. because of my choice. I've been asked to go to another room because it's disgusting and sexual. I've been told that I'm not respecting other's feelings by breastfeeding in the same room even when covered up. With all that said, I still have no hard feelings towards FF moms. I respect that they must do what they feel is best for their baby. I feel that way towards all personal parenting decisions though.
TBNMPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #84
TBNMPL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaferriere@berklee.net View Post
The thing that irritates me more than ANYTHING is a mother who had good intentions of BFing, for it to be ruined but someone's bad advice. Especially when it's a medical professional it makes me so angry!!
I agree! When my son was 6 months old I actually had a male doctor laugh at me because I mentioned that breastfeeding gave my son better immunity. He said, yeah you do realize that is only for the first few weeks. Then he laughed and asked, "Are you planning on nursing him until he goes to college because you think he will never get sick?" I was beyond disgusted.

Last edited by TBNMPL; 08-15-2008 at 10:51 PM.
TBNMPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #85
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking View Post
There is high fructose corn syrup in formula?!?! WTF??
Yup mama, the very first ingredient!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #86
Lizp86
Registered Users formerly:grayelizabeth06
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, I have 2 say it is up to them on how to raise there kid. The ones that upset me is uneducated doctors and professionals. I went to a doctor after my son was a year that actually tried to tell me I was going to kill him and me if I continued to breastfed. I laughed and never went back to that doctor. My friend's son's peditrician told her breastfeeding was not good for the baby after the first 48 hours and she stopped, because of that. Those are the circumstances that upset me. In the case of mothers, sometimes it does not always go as planned and I understand that and for some woman it is just not for them. I mean I do not want them judging me, why should I judge them.
Liz
Lizp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #87
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have seen one particular mama on here be very hurtful and ugly about FF vs BF.
I do also recall a whole thread in the past equating formula with rat poison.
I also saw the comment about not buying from FF moms.
When I needed support with my bfing struggles a year or so ago, I posted here. I got some very helpful responses that I was very grateful for. I also had some hurtful negative comments.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 AM   #88
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt be rude to a ffing mom b/c i dont know thier situation but when I see little babies that are 1 weeks old drinking gatorade or soda from a bottle that ticks me off. I often see that in the WIC office! I bf dd till she weaned at 21 mo, but from 13 mo on she was also on a special formula b/c she is FTT b/c of her medical conditions ($8.00 a serving for her formula!) I dont want anyone to judge me for usig a nestle product that is the only thing that keeps dd alive....
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #89
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNMPL View Post
I agree! When my son was 6 months old I actually had a male doctor laugh at me because I mentioned that breastfeeding gave my son better immunity. He said, yeah you do realize that is only for the first few weeks. Then he laughed and asked, "Are you planning on nursing him until he goes to college because you think he will never get sick?" I was beyond disgusted.
LOL - OT but I like your avatar. I have a soft spot for goats... we have 6 now..

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #90
Julannna
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowbabie View Post
I am a bfing momma. I don't know anyone IRL that bfs or cds, so usually I am the one receiving comments. DS is just 8 months and I have BEEN hearing, you're STILL bfing, etc. So I know how it feels, I would NEVER make rude comments to another momma for the way she chooses to care for her baby. We all have different lives and situations, and I feel, not only on this topic, but on all aspects of life: until you've walked in someone else's shoes, don't judge. SS for those ffing mommas who are being led to believe they are depriving their los. IMO, breast is best, however, ff is PERFECTLY fine! Otherwise, there wouldn't be formula as an option.
What she said!! Exactly. I get it IRL -- no one I know is BFing or CDing -- and they all think that I have fallen off of my rocker for doing it.