Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
lalybro
Registered Users

Potty training at 9 mos.-12 mos.?

I heard about this potty training kit called All Aboard the Potty Train that uses babysigns to potty train. It suggests starting at 1 year and being done by 2 years old. Then I read in The Baby Whisperer that she suggests starting at between 9 mos. and 12 mos. She does suggest some signs that your child may be ready such as sitting on their own. My dd is 6 1/2 mos. and starting at 9 mos. or even a year does sound very intriguing. However, my dd is not sitting on her own yet. Anyway, what I am wondering is if anyone on here started potty training at anywhere between 9 months and 1 year old?

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
iris777888
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty training at 9 mos.-12 mos.?

I just recently learned about elimination communication, and if my son was still that small I would totally go for it. He started telling us on his own that he was wet around 14 months, so we're doing some late start EC stuff with him. He's 17 months now and will go on the toilet consistently in the morning and after naps and sometimes tell us he has to go at other times. I joined a Yahoo group on EC that is good, PM me if you want details, and many of the moms on there are having success with babies in the age group you asked about.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
lalybro
Registered Users

Thanks, Iris, I pm'd you! :-)
Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Arkaidy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd just turned 14 months, and we have started PLing. She's already doing it and we're letting her go diaper free. I would have started earlier but we didn't have $$ for a potty

But anyway, I guess it depends on your child's intellectual level. Some 9 month old babies are already walking, so they'll probably PL earlier. I'm sure that's not always the case, but each child is different.

Just follow your child's cues and go from there, it doesn't hurt to start early, as long as you are not pushing them and keeping it fun.

Good luck!

Oh, and we also do sign language with DD and have introduced the potty sign now that we're PLing.

Veggie lovin', cloth diapering, semi-vaxing, babywearin', co-sleeping, extended bfing, extended rear-facing, non spanking, no CIO EVER kinda family with lot's of fuzzy luvies.
And expecting #2!! ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35** **40
Arkaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
gsd2lover
Registered Users

My Mood:

sorry could someone tell me what 'PLing' is?
thanks
gsd2lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
rosenjen
Registered Users
seller

This sounds very intersting. My son is almost a year old and has started taking his diaper off the second he gets wet . I am going to start learning more about this.

Iris, I am going to pm you too. Your yahoo group sounds good.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
lalybro
Registered Users

PL=Pottylearning
Old 08-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
betty14
Registered Users

Hi lalybro:

I also have the Baby Whisperer book, and it's one of the best parenting books out there, IMO.

We started using the potty at 3 1/2 weeks ago at 5 months old. DS has consistently gotten better at using the potty over this time. In fact, he has not pooped in his diaper for 2 weeks! And that is by us taking him to the potty about 8-9 times per day.

We never put him on crying, and take him off if he gets unhappy.

I'd say go for it, and follow the BAby Whisperer advice, which is very sound!
betty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
lalybro
Registered Users

HI Betty14! Thanks for the response. At what times do you put ds on the potty?

On Friday, I decided to try putting dd on the big potty while holding her over it. I tried a couple of different times-once after a nap and once after nursing but I nothing happened. On Saturday, after nursing that morning I actually caught a pee that day! I couldn't believe it. Then I did this again on Sunday and caught two pees!
Today, I went and bought a Baby Bjorn Little potty to try out. I put dd on it and at first she got upset so I took her off. Then I tried putting her on again and all she wanted to do was stand! haha! So, finally she sat on it and peed! Yay!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
betty14
Registered Users

We have the Baby Bjorn chair potty, which lets 6 mo. old DS sit back and relax. We have a few toys there too. We sit down with him on the floor, take off his diaper and sit in front of him. When he pees, we say "psssssss", "good boy" "are you going pee".... and when he poops, we say "poop poop poop poop..."

We put him on after waking, at each diaper change, and about 20 minutes after he finishes his bottle. It didn't take long to start catching pees 75% of the time. I'm not sure if he really feels the pees yet, but he certainly knows when he's pooping, and is excited to see something in there when he's done!

Overall the time commitment is not huge. I figure if I wasn't pottying him, I'd be interacting in some other way - we're just trading some carrying around time for potty time.
betty14 is offline   Reply With Quote