Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
MommaBelt
waiting on response to fsot issue 4/11

please help..I was right UPDATE!

Ok I dont knwo how many of you will be able to help with my situation but hopefully someone will.
First of all let me explain, my son, hes 2 years old, has autismand alot of sensory issues. To calm himself or to go to sleep he shoves things into his nose. we have been multiple times to the ER for things in his nose ( stuffing, bugs,beads, even a concrete chunk) otehr times we can get it out ourselves. and he has been REALLY good at using the taggie blanket I made him or the edge of a pillow. well I noticed the "infected" smell coing from his nose about 3 weeks ago, I took him to the ER and they said they couldnt see anything. I was kinda pissy with them b/c I KNEW there was something there, I left and took him to the Pedi the next day, nope nothing. so now he goes with his dad this weekend, I asked him to please take him to the doc there ( which he didnt but it didnt suprise me) but said he DID dig something out of DS's nose. he gets home this morning and his nose just smells so bad. what do I do?
If the docs wont help me but I KNOW theres something in there, maybe its WAY up in there? how can I pres the issue? the docs say they can smell the infection too and keep prescribing antibiotics

UPDATE:

so today I noticed Ds's nose was draining something nasty, and the smell was so bad I couldnt kiss him anymore so I called the ENT and said look SOMETHING has GOT to be done, and they got him a 3 pm appointment. I told them everything. they looked up there and lo and behold he saw something. he decided to try and dig it out but was a little skeptical. nope it didnt work.. thats when he said it.. off to OR you go. SO we send sissy over to my DF's cousins and go in, they knocked him out and it took a whole whopping 10 minute ofsurgery to find what the culprit was... a trifolded BANDAID! the foam on the bandaide kept swelling and it was so puffy, the ENT came right out and showed it to me while DS was in recovery. they wheeled him int he room and I told them get that IV out or I know he'll rip it out. they didnt listen so he snags it right out, causing blood to spurt all over EVERYWHERE. what a mess. when will the modern medical world learn to respect the parent ?? anyway, we are home now, and I'm seriously thinking about writing a letter to the chief of the ER staff about that other doctor. he should NOT have had to go 3 weeks with a bandaide in his nose

Advertisement

Last edited by MommaBelt; 10-20-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: updating!
MommaBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: please please help

You can't really shove things "way" up there because the passages in the nose connect to the back of the throat. I would think he would have trouble breathing if something was stuck in his nose for that long. Is he able to breathe through his nose or is he breathing through his mouth?

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
You can't really shove things "way" up there because the passages in the nose connect to the back of the throat. I would think he would have trouble breathing if something was stuck in his nose for that long. Is he able to breathe through his nose or is he breathing through his mouth?
Yeah that. At some point, he would wind up swallowing it, kwim? But I guess that he could have damaged something in there... Maybe ask his pedi for a referral for an ear, nose and throat Dr.?
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
MommaBelt

well he is a mouth breather anyway. so hes breathing through his mouth. That does make sense except for the fact that the first time we went to the ER, they said what he had shoved in there was in( or near) his sinus cavity and they thought they would have to do surgery. they ended up being able to grab it with suction though. He does have a referral to a ENT the appointments in two weeks

Last edited by MommaBelt; 10-15-2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 10-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: Ms.LillyAnnzMommy
seller

My Mood:

Iagree call an ent

Andrea mother to Ms.Lilly-Ann 2/4/05
and Ms.Molly Renee 6/10/08
Proudly raising My Minis
Moo&LaLasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

mamas insticts are almost ALWAYS right on, so if you feel something is in there, then most likely something is, go see the ent
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
MommaBelt

so do I just take him in there and demand they look at him before an appointment? lol I could do it, I'm so fed up with the ER docs its not funny.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

have they done an x-ray? that would, i think, be able to show more than any scope, but maybe im wrong. if that is not an option, or even if it is, i think you should call the ent office and explain everything like you did to us. there has to be a sympathetic soul working there, right? i sure hope you get someone to listen to you soon! i agree, mama instincts are right on! good luck, keep us updated.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I'd be stomping my feet for a dang x-ray. To be honest, it sounds like that's the only thing that will satisfy you because it's the only thing that can positively show if something is up there or not. If I was in your shoes, it's the only thing that would rest my mind about it. Good luck and lots of hugs to the both of you!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
MommaBelt

see at the ER they did do a xray, but then told me that if it was metal they couldnt see it on a xray. ( they might not have said metal they used a differnt word, but still left the possibility that there potentially could be something up there) I'm going to call the ENT tomorrow in the AM and tell them I cannot wait for the refferal appointment.