Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Re: children's benadryl

I know this particular situation is over, but I wanted to add something for others reading this. My DD has a potentially deadly allergy to sesame and a less severe (but very real allergy) to milk and eggs. Her ped recommends 1 teaspoon of children's benadryl for when she has an allergic reaction. Her allergist said that even 2 teaspoons is fine in case of a real allergic reaction and that you can't really overdose on it the way you could on something like tylenol (which can be fatal). These recommendations were for a 9 mo weighing between 16-17 lbs. The 1/2 teaspoon is more for maintance of allergies or a small reaction. If your child is having a severe reaction to something (quickly becoming COVERED in hives, or facial swelling), 1/2 teaspoon probably isn't enough. Do what your ped says, but if it is an emergency a little more is better. In the case of any swelling on the face, go to an emergency room, because swelling of the throat could be next which can cause suffocation.

Advertisement

weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always heard to wait until 2 for peanut butter. Besides the allergy issue, it's too sticky and a big choking hazzard for little ones.

Landon is 20 months, but only 22lbs and he takes 2ccs of Benedryl.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We gave peanut butter at 12 months, but since found out that you are supposed to wait until 2... OOPS !!
SO far so good and he loves it.

As far as the Benadryl I go by weight instead of age. We dont ever have to give any, but last time I think he got 1-1/2 tps.