Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 AM   #11
Kele's Avatar
Kele
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 222
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

We are making the transition to more natural toys. I have always had an aversion to the flashing lights and sounds and the toxic batteries that make them all go. I don't like that kids are made to be so passive with those kinds of toys. And plastic is made from petroleum products
The $$ factor is the biggest thing slowing us down.

Advertisement

__________________
Returning-to-work after 5 years Mom to Jeremy (12), Nikolaus (4) and Rachel (2)
Kele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
laneylue+2's Avatar
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 2,618
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

Here is some stuff from Greenpeace's website: http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/footer...childrens+toys

I guess there is controversy regarding the safety of plastic toys and the child being exposed to the chemicals in the plastics when he/she mouths the toys.

In my environmental science course we went over the different types of plastics and which leaks what, especially when heated but I've forgotten it all. I do remember the teacher telling us not to let our plastic water bottles get hot (like sitting in the car in the summer) if we plan to drink out of them again because they emit chemicals when heated.

It makes sense that plastics are made of chemicals so one would wonder if they are safe for children since children naturally put everything in their mouths (I especially wonder about binkies/bottles). Also, plastic plants emit lots of pollution into the air as far as I know.

I'm not really educated on the subject much at all. I'm sure some mamas around here know way more about plastics and chemicals than I do!
__________________
Mandy, SAHM to Kayla 2/05 and Zachary 11/06
My work
Rock Star Knits
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
mercy589
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,436
Re: Why wooden toys?

I just looked at that greenpeace info, in the article on children's toys it talks about vinyl being harmful, and one of the things they found vinyl in was a plastic children's spoon! Ugh, there's so much scary info out there. I'm not going to stress about this, but I think its something worth looking into a bit more and maybe I can start choosing safer toys for DD.
__________________
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #14
laneylue+2's Avatar
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 2,618
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
I just looked at that greenpeace info, in the article on children's toys it talks about vinyl being harmful, and one of the things they found vinyl in was a plastic children's spoon! Ugh, there's so much scary info out there. I'm not going to stress about this, but I think its something worth looking into a bit more and maybe I can start choosing safer toys for DD.
Oh, I didn't mean to scare anyone!! There is info on both sides, really. It's hard to know what to think or who to believe. I think some of those Greenpeace articles aren't especially current, also.

Anyway, we have tons of plastic toys for DD. Mostly I worry about plastics that get heated like bottles and nipples more than toys. Now she uses metal silverware when possible. Any plastics that go in her mouth like spoons, nipples or binkies never went in the dishwasher because the water temperature gets so high. I washed all that stuff by hand in lukewarm water.
__________________
Mandy, SAHM to Kayla 2/05 and Zachary 11/06
My work
Rock Star Knits
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #15
escapethevillage's Avatar
escapethevillage
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,351
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
these toys are harder to find in plastic. Most plastic toys (most toys in general for children now) are electronic.
I agree (mostly) I am sick to death of the electronic toys. I don't mind a few of them. For instance, I LOVE the leap pad. I LOVE some of the computer games.

I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the Fisher Price people. I think those are the greatest things ever. I miss the old wooden ones, but they are a choking hazard, otherwise, I would be ebaying those little guys.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
Irishmommy's Avatar
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: south Texas
Posts: 2,544
Re: Why wooden toys?

I love wooden toys, but how do you clean them? I mean after a slobbery mouth has been on them, or after a stomach virus?
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
dirtdartwife's Avatar
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Happy Republican
Posts: 7,141
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I love wooden toys, but how do you clean them? I mean after a slobbery mouth has been on them, or after a stomach virus?
baking soda, a small amount of vinegar and water? most are sealed anyway so it's not "raw" wood so it shouldn't warp.

We have a battery fairy in our house. She lurks around, especially during Christmas and Birthdays chittering like a heroin addict with her eyes on the prize when my SIL, aka "the walking Toys R Us" comes over and dumps half the store in our house. After the kids have been cranked out and are now swinging from the rafters, a few toys broken, etc... all toys get put into a pile for the battery fairy to attack. When kids go to bed, the battery fairy comes out with her tools and sits down with a beer and attacks all the toys that bleep, bloop, fizzle, twirl, screech, squak. You hear a few bleeps and bloops from the fairy herself, but that's remedied by a beer.

The kids notice immediately that the fairy struck, but they've learned to not complain. Most of the toys become boring enough that mom can just toss but some become imaginative play.

My kids are more facinated with baby dolls, playsilks and that stuff anyway. We're moving more towards the natural play stuff too.
__________________
I have not been on much in the past few months, please be patient with me returning PM's.
dirtdartwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #18
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: near New Orleans, LA
Posts: 4,179
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
baking soda, a small amount of vinegar and water? most are sealed anyway so it's not "raw" wood so it shouldn't warp.

We have a battery fairy in our house. She lurks around, especially during Christmas and Birthdays chittering like a heroin addict with her eyes on the prize when my SIL, aka "the walking Toys R Us" comes over and dumps half the store in our house. After the kids have been cranked out and are now swinging from the rafters, a few toys broken, etc... all toys get put into a pile for the battery fairy to attack. When kids go to bed, the battery fairy comes out with her tools and sits down with a beer and attacks all the toys that bleep, bloop, fizzle, twirl, screech, squak. You hear a few bleeps and bloops from the fairy herself, but that's remedied by a beer.

The kids notice immediately that the fairy struck, but they've learned to not complain. Most of the toys become boring enough that mom can just toss but some become imaginative play.

My kids are more facinated with baby dolls, playsilks and that stuff anyway. We're moving more towards the natural play stuff too.



Funny stuff.

I really want to get rid of some of this junk Bram has too. Every toy my mom/aunt/G'ma/IL has bought makes noise and lights up.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #19
pingumel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why wooden toys?

i love the battery fairy! she visits often in this house and my brother's house. particularly when my parents gave my 3-yr-old-nephew a truck with monster wheels that blares "we will we will rock you" and has speakers that vibrate and back wheels bounce to the tune. ugh!!!

i thought i wanted to get all wooden stuff, for all the things that pps have mentioned. as it turns out, my dog is particularly attracted to the wooden toys (puzzles, etc) in our house, and so they are not long for this world. (she's mostly good, getting better ... we're down to losing about one piece every other week ...) she leaves everything plastic alone. so we may be a predominantly plastic family.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 AM   #20
Kele's Avatar
Kele
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 222
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

I love the idea of a battery fairy. We've basically instituted a rule that when the battery dies, that's it!
So how do I get family to stop buying all these battery toys? Cuz flat out saying it hasn't worked! :frown:
__________________
Returning-to-work after 5 years Mom to Jeremy (12), Nikolaus (4) and Rachel (2)
Kele is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.