Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

I like the look of the wooden toys. I like my kids to read the classics too. We HAVE some junk, and oldest DS would be LOST w/o his treasured legos. But the toys we keep out in the living area are more natural toys. They don't overwhelm the room with noise and garish colors. They "look nice" and my kids reach for them over and over. They seem to keep their appeal longer.
Even our "junk" though is now more imaginative/open ended. I haven't had bleeping toys since my oldest was 2 or 3. I say a polite thank you and then we donate to kids who need it or exchange for other things. We end up with a lot of good gifts though b/c we offer up concrete suggetions at birthdays etc. Not all natural, there are relatives who think that the wooden toys are me "pushing my beliefs" and will do most anything to buy toys they think *I* like if that makes sense. But I work around that. For those who I KNOW aren't going to buy natural toys I try to get things from them that "we can stand"
So for the toddler we might list:
a FP popcorn popper type walk behind (and some cool wood ones too)
blocks to build with (teehee- more snuck in wood)
the cardboard nesting boxes based on nursery rhymes
cutting food (mention that the Melissa and Doug brand has the best variety or whatever and poof more wood )
wooden puzzles
a ride-on toy for outside
a big ball
a kids futon couch/chair
a Dr kit
a tonka truck
an easle
the metal kids cooking tool toys, apron etc
books books and more books
a good toy barn and animals

For my preschooler:
Thomas trains ( more sneaky wood)
art supplies
cars and planes and people and buildings that can be used w/ the trains (more wood!)
a teepee
a sleeping bag
more complex blocks (pyramids set, cathedral sets etc)
puppet theater
dress up items
a new robe or pjs or something
pieces to a wooden garage or house or castle that I already had (people WILL buy "go withs" little so and so LOVES his xyz but really wants these 4 pieces to it)
early board games
musical instruments
sets of animals or dinosaurs (generally plastic but we enjoy a good animal set- we have a platypus, wolverine, lynx, heron, crane, khaki campbell, yak, ikapi, and other uncommon toy animals and we really LIKE them and the kids want to learn what they eat and where they live etc)

For my DD
fairy wings
dance wear
bead crafts
learn to XYZ (knit or whatever) kits
better board games
books of course (like fairytopia or Little house series etc)
doll accessories or a certain doll she covets
a butterfly kit (from insect lore for example) or ladybug kit
build and paint bird house
an acoustic guitar
art supplies
a diary
a dvd
hula hoop and other outdoor toys
a bookshelf that matches her room or that she can paint/design herself
a kids cook book and some utensils or an apron
pieces to sets she already owns (like dollhouses or stables or something)

For my oldest DS I might list
science kits
ant farm or triops set
chess set
books and more books
more animal or dinosaur sets, we prefer the little tiny ones that are 2-3" tall
magician set
pieces to sets he has (such as playbil or imaginext or wooden castles or pirate ships- whatever you child might own)
a solar system replica kit or something similar
bug exploring things
balls and sports equip
board games
building toys
excavation type sets (I dig dinosaurs etc)
a watch
a model kit
cookbook (he loves to cook)
3-D puzzle
rocket you launch
juggling stix
hackey sack balls and how to juggle book or dvd
a hanging chair for his room
a small tent
a fishing pole
a net

Kim, mom of 5
geckoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #22
Registered Users

Those are some great ideas!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #23
Registered Users

I am trying to steer away from plastic toys because of how they're made and what's used to make them. It's kinda like organic cotton vs. regular cotton ya know? I'd rather buy something that doesn't have any harmful chemicals that will be absorbed into my skin. Same goes for plastic toys, just not too that extreme I guess. And I agree w/ a pp that wooden toys definitely last longer.
ecomama7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

We don't buy plastic toys. The few that we DO have were gifts at my baby shower, and couldnt be returned (I've actually thrown some of them into a box and put it in the basement).

We dont do plastic for a few reasons.

1) Wooden/Cloth/Natural toys are easier on the environment. Lots of nasty stuff goes into the manufacture of plastic childrens toys, and I prefer to do as much as I can to AVOID perpetuating the cycle of environmental abuse (this is one of the reasons why I cloth diaper as well).

2) Flash and ding toys are overstimulating. Honestly. I HATE them. Some of these toys they sell for itty bitty babies and toddlers are just frightening! Loud and bright and the electronic sounds are harsh and unatural. Want to play music to your child? Heres a though, give your child a little drum or tamberine, rather than having a microchip blast it out through a plastic speaker. YUCK! Babies are easily overstimulated, so I wouldnt want my child's delicate senses overloaded by an electronic toy.

3) Wooden and cloth toys leave more room for the imagination. MOST plastic toys are designed to serve a very specific roll. Barbie is Barbie, she isnt much else. A race car is a race car. You get the idea. A toy that is designed simplicticly, without limitative design (whether through color, label or other things) leaves more room for the child to create their OWN game to play. A cloth doll (like Waldorf dolls for example) are so versitile. Some arnt even gender apparent, meaning it could be a boy one day, or a girl the next.

Those are just my opinions. There is nothing wrong with parents who do plastic toys. I just prefer natural toys for my child. They are the kind I wanted as a kid!
I remember getting my first cloth doll when I was 10. I about DIED! I loved her so much. I would rather have played with her than my 20 Barbie dolls any day!
Mom to G, E and S
Lisa-Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

The only wooden toys DS has are the Thomas stuff and a set of Lincoln(sp) Logs.
I dont care much for wooden toys because I am always afraid that they will splinter. I had a cousin that swalloed a pice of wood that came off of a toy and it litteraly shredded her throat. She has severe brain damage now and breathes through a tube.

DS is old enough that he desnt put everything in his mouth like an infant so Im not as worried about his Thomas, and the Log set stay put up until he asks for it.

I was warned by my Ped that some of the new wooden tos coming out are made in Brazil and the wood in brazil is treated with chemicals for keeping bugs away and it stays in the wood and wehn wet it seeps out.

I wont have any wooden toys for bean.
Proud AF wife to Jeff (7/2005) and SAHM to Kaitlynn (3/2007)
Indianamom*2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #26
Registered Users

Someone posted a great article on good toys for children here:
Frunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #27
I had the CD wagon impounded!
My Mood:

Kim's list is my list We buy alot of the stuff she has on her list
Brenda & Brian-Parents to: Tiffany 15, Claire 12, Keegan 8, Nathan 6, Teague 2, Charlotte 12 months
SAHM, HSing, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, babywearing, LDS, aspiring midwife and natural birthing mama
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote