Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
TheQueenKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is this Thrush or Mastitis, or both?

Im going crazy here ladies, and need some opinions. I have either thrush or mastitis or both and plan to go to the Dr tomorrow, but my opinion of Dr's these days is in the toilet so I was hoping for 1st-hand experiences from anyone here.

I have had mastitis 5 times since DD was 2 weeks old. She just turned 4 months and I finished my last antibiotic approximately 2 weeks ago. I thought that we had finally beat it this time. I have basically been on antibiotics since she was born though, starting as a treatment for Group B Strep.

Through 2 different cultures during 2 different infection periods, it was determined that the Group B Strep was infecting me. The last antibiotic was a sulfa one and so far I have gone the longest stretch without an obvious re-infection. Most of the time the mastitis was back within a few days.

Anyway, my faith/trust in Drs is crap right now (because of many disappointing things I wont go into right now) so through all this I have been reading and researching like crazy to try to find answers. My milk supply went way down during this time; in part I think because of the mastitis and the stress, but also because I tried to start exercising. We have had thrush/yeast during this time but I thought it was gone. We tried Nystatin, Diflucan, GV and pro-biotics. I thought it had worked and things seemed fine for this past 2 weeks or so.

So now in the past couple days, I've had a host of symptoms or things going on and I dont know what is related and what is just coincidental.

1. About 2 weeks ago DD started getting rashy. We did some air-drying days, some diaper cream and it seemed to get a little bit better. It doesnt look like the yeast pictures I have seen; it is still pretty mild so I dont know if its yeast or not. It didnt alarm me or make me think yeast at first, but now I am unsure.

2. A few days ago I got some really intense back pain, unrelated to anything I could pin-point.

3. 2 days ago I started getting achey and feeling kind of feverish. Low grade fever today of 99.5, but I didnt check yesterday so I am not sure if it was there yesterday or not. SO was also sick, so I thought maybe we just had a bug. It could be coincidental and I just have a passing bug like he did.

4. In the past 2 days I have also started to have some intense breast pain in the side that gets mastitis. It didnt feel like mastitis pain and it is not red/inflamed like it has been every time in the past. This feels like yeast pain with the shooting pain inside my ducts. It is constant but SHOOTING bad pain when I nurse or pump.

5. The last couple days I have had blood in my milk when I pump. Not every time, but about 3 times now I think. And possibly when I was nursing without knowing it. It starts with pain that feels like I am engorged so I pump and the first 20-30 seconds is primarily blood. Yuck.

Any opinions on this? Im confused on whether it is possibly mastitis with the fever and achey feeling, plus extra tired, but its not as intense or strong as it has been each 5 times I got it. Those 5 times there was never any doubt- I felt like I had been run over with the flu and it was clear I was very sick.

So I think it is thrush/yeast, but whats with the acheyness and fever then? I tried researching but couldnt find anything saying you get a fever with yeast. So is it coincidental and I just have a random bug/virus with the yeast as well?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Advertisement

Last edited by TheQueenKat; 08-14-2008 at 09:25 PM.
TheQueenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this Thrush or Mastitis, or both?

Sounds like mastitis....really doesn't sound anything like thrush to me, and believe me, we've had it...LOTS. You may have mild thrush, mastitis can be a side effect of thrush (it was my first symptom). I really hope you get through all this pain mama...I totally understand what you're going through. GL!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
junebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

pretty sure that mastitis will give you redness/pain to the touch, at least, it always has for me. i've had shooting pains with mastitis/plugged ducts. i've never had thrush so can't be of any help there. the blood doesn't make sense to me. can you feel any lumps/plugs? have you tried massaging it? if you're feverish and achy, again... mastitis. i get mastitis real easily when i am stressed/doing too much and it's so hard to get out of that cycle when you get sick. i've had success with acupuncture and homeopathy. feel free to PM me if you want more details
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
stephaniebrookeh5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK,
I just got back from the doctor.

She said that if I start feeling "like glass is moving around in the breast" then the antibiotics have caused me to get a yeast infection.

Straight from the horses mouth.

I have had mastitis several times...very classic. I have not had blood, though. Looking at your breast, do you see any obvious white spots that are bulging or sore? Possibly abcess (spelling?)

Also, make sure that you are massaging the breast, and try feeding her another way. I tried lying on my side, and feeding on the higher boob accross the lower boob. Some people suggest 'dangle' feeding, which is where you lay your baby flat on the bed and you let your breast hang down for the baby to suckle while the breast is directly above the baby's head.

My doctor said 800mg IB Profin every 4-6 hours for swelling. And, tylenol for the fever, pain. I am on one atibiotic, but I have a prescription for another.

Try eating lots of yogurt....the probiotic kind. Most organic yogurts have what you need.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
SMTFamily06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like mastitis to me too! i hope you get it taken care of soon! i just got donw with my antibiotics! it was horrible!!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
TheQueenKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im waiting on a call back from my Dr this morning. Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them.

Im still confused though. My fever is gone today and I dont have the tell-tale red inflamation that I have always gotten with the mastitis. However I still have the burning/aching feeling inside my breast.

I've felt around and I dont think there are any plugged ducts or anything, nor anything that feels like an abcess. My nipple is a bit messed up though. I noticed it after she nursed on Wednesday; it looked like skin that had been wet for too long and started to peel. So for now I've stopped feeding DD on that side (havent since Wed night) and am just pumping because of all this.

I think I will cut dairy and sugars for a while to see if that helps, too, and hopefully I can get in to see my Dr today.

As for her diapers and bottles (and my pumping supplies), I am treating them as if they have yeast. We boiled all the bottle stuff last night and for the diapers I did a regular wash routine and then did one using Dawn, vinegar in the rinse and super hot almost boiling water from the stove. I let them soak in it for about 30 minutes with occasional swishing around and then did 2 rinses. Now today I am going to hang them in the sun.

Do you guys think that will be enough to kill any potential yeast?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am almost 100% sure you have clogs/ mastistis FROM the yeast. I dealt with this a LOT after I had DS. I kept getting mastitis and I couldnt figure out why (I lost track of how many cases when I hit 10).

Turns out it was yeast that was causeing inflammation in the breast and in turn causing clogs that would infect really quickly.

What you have to do is nurse a TON and treat for yeast. GV is usually the best but if its really bad you might need diflucan and to cut the sugars/ yeasts from your diet. You can try 250mg of grapeFRUIT seed extract too 3 times a day along with probiotics.

Make sure you sterilize pacis/ bottles/ pump parts (tubing too) every.single.day.

Good luck and I hope it gets better!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
TheQueenKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could be right, Shannon. Im going to mention that today.

I am just SO FED UP with Dr's and appointments and all this crapola. Im sick of being sick, you know? And these Dr's make me feel like Im a hypochondriac or trying to get high off pain meds or something. It makes me feel like crap that I have to keep going back in, so today I called and asked if they could just call in a refill for me on the Diflucan but nooooooo, I have to come in to Urgent Care since no Dr has an appt available today.

Im just so irritated. This shouldnt be so hard. Zap me with some extra strong yeast killers, leave me on them for an extended time and hopefully I will be be done with this nonsense. I also have to go pick up DD from daycare to have them check her rash, bring her back to daycare and hopefully do it all within my allotted lunch time. Ugh.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Happygrl6
Registered Users
seller

Are you taking probiotics? If not, I'd start them ASAP. The antibiotics kill of even the good stuff, so taking probiotics will help build the good stuff back up in you.

ISO Boyish Side-snapping AI2s in Mediums, especially Grasshoppers diapers
Happygrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQueenKat View Post
You could be right, Shannon. Im going to mention that today.

I am just SO FED UP with Dr's and appointments and all this crapola. Im sick of being sick, you know? And these Dr's make me feel like Im a hypochondriac or trying to get high off pain meds or something. It makes me feel like crap that I have to keep going back in, so today I called and asked if they could just call in a refill for me on the Diflucan but nooooooo, I have to come in to Urgent Care since no Dr has an appt available today.

Im just so irritated. This shouldnt be so hard. Zap me with some extra strong yeast killers, leave me on them for an extended time and hopefully I will be be done with this nonsense. I also have to go pick up DD from daycare to have them check her rash, bring her back to daycare and hopefully do it all within my allotted lunch time. Ugh.

OH that is SOOOOOoooooooooo how I felt. My dr made me feel like a crack addict and all I wanted was some fing DIFLUCAN! It's not CRACK! Sheesh. Good thing I have a good friend who's a pedi.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote