Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this Thrush or Mastitis, or both?

Kat, have you contacted LLL about this? They are usually an enormous wealth of information for moms. Even if you've never been to a meeting, you can still call a leader you don't know - that's one of the main parts of their job. Also, check out mothering.com - I remember an extensive article on natural ways to fight mastitis (written by a mom who suffered repeatedly from mastitis) - perhaps you can find the article online. Good luck!

Advertisement

kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

So sorry, mama. I just got over a nasty bout of mastitis a couple of weeks ago. 104 fever, aches, swollen lymph nodes, the works. I totally sympathize. You definitely don't want it to get as bad as mine became before I got antibiotics. Forgive me for being completely naive, but can you take a full dose of diflucan and antibiotics at the same time? I hope you get some relief soon. Certainly get some serious rest this weekend!
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
TheQueenKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent contacted LLL yet, but I will for sure! Thanks for the tip, that hadnt even occured to me.

I did email Jack Newman a few weeks back but his answer was pretty generic and nothing I hadnt already read on his website.

Well I definitely do have the mastitis again. Its so strange though because its so mild this time, I wasnt even sure! But I am pretty convinced today because my breast is finally showing the redness and is tender today. But overall it is SO mild that I barely can tell I have it. The fever I had on Wednesday with the acheyness was probably my worst day.

I am DREADING calling the clinic again on Monday. I just dont want to deal with this anymore.

Does anyone know if it would be safe/ok for me to just wait and see if this goes away as the yeast is going away? I suspect that its different this time because in the past the cultures always showed Group B Strep as what was infecting me, but maybe that was finally killed since it was about 2 weeks ago and now the yeast is causing the mastitis, like someone previously said. That could explain the vast difference in the level of sickness I have felt. I just dont feel the overwhelming sickness that I did before, and those times there was no doubt in my mind that I needed/wanted antibiotics ASAP. But right now I feel mostly fine, just a tiny bit extra tired and sore but really nothing major at all. And my fever is gone. If things dont get drastically worse and I dont get any abcesses or hot spots, is it OK to go without treating this? Im just thinking about all the side effect damage that the antibiotics are doing, and what did women do prior to antibiotics? Did they die or something?

Abby I have done the antibiotics and diflucan at the same time so Im pretty sure its fine to do both at once. I just dont think the yeast was killed well enough and has come back from the last round.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are a couple of Mothering articles that may help you.
http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...ed-thrush.html

Okay, I couldn't find the other one I was looking for - I had read it in my print copy, but I guess it isn't up on the website.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Paulinemck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel you pain mama, have had 12+ cases of severe trhush between our 5 kiddos. Have gone through all the meds, but GV has worked better than anything so far once I had one. Well, the BIGGEST thing is that I cut out dairy products and that stopped the thrush and my chronic yeast infections(TMI)
Hang in there!
Paulinemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQueenKat View Post
I havent contacted LLL yet, but I will for sure! Thanks for the tip, that hadnt even occured to me.

I did email Jack Newman a few weeks back but his answer was pretty generic and nothing I hadnt already read on his website.

Well I definitely do have the mastitis again. Its so strange though because its so mild this time, I wasnt even sure! But I am pretty convinced today because my breast is finally showing the redness and is tender today. But overall it is SO mild that I barely can tell I have it. The fever I had on Wednesday with the acheyness was probably my worst day.

I am DREADING calling the clinic again on Monday. I just dont want to deal with this anymore.

Does anyone know if it would be safe/ok for me to just wait and see if this goes away as the yeast is going away? I suspect that its different this time because in the past the cultures always showed Group B Strep as what was infecting me, but maybe that was finally killed since it was about 2 weeks ago and now the yeast is causing the mastitis, like someone previously said. That could explain the vast difference in the level of sickness I have felt. I just dont feel the overwhelming sickness that I did before, and those times there was no doubt in my mind that I needed/wanted antibiotics ASAP. But right now I feel mostly fine, just a tiny bit extra tired and sore but really nothing major at all. And my fever is gone. If things dont get drastically worse and I dont get any abcesses or hot spots, is it OK to go without treating this? Im just thinking about all the side effect damage that the antibiotics are doing, and what did women do prior to antibiotics? Did they die or something?

Abby I have done the antibiotics and diflucan at the same time so Im pretty sure its fine to do both at once. I just dont think the yeast was killed well enough and has come back from the last round.
Actually once I figured out it was yeast that was causing my problems with thrush I stayed away from Abx like they were the plague. I just nursed a TON always starting with the affected side, took advil, did hot showers/ baths as much as I could and did gentle massage at the same time and rested as much as possible. Even with all the cases of mastitis I had (diff breasts so I know it wasn't just the same infection) I got them all to clear up within 24 hours. I have read that if you go 24/48 hours without improvement that you need meds because otherwise it can abscess.

If you can manage to try and kick it without the meds I would. Also add some lethicin to your diet if you can (supplements or otherwise) because it will help the clogs you do get pass through easier.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
mom2nine
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I suspect thrush coming on, I immediately start taking acidophilus/bifidus caps and it prevents a full blown infection. As far as mastitis, as soon as you feel you might be getting clogged, take 1 cap of lecithin every hour for four hours. Lecithin is what is in salad dressings and stuff to prevent clumping. These rememdies were recommended to me by my lactation consultant and have worked for me through many babies. acidophilus/bifidus I think is only in health/nutrition stores. Lecithin is there also, but you can also get it at wal-mart and its not very expensive.
Get $10 off diapers.com with code BUSY6470
mom2nine is offline   Reply With Quote