Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reaction to bee sting.. a WEEK later!?!?

I stepped on a bee last Friday while walking around barefoot in my veggie garden.
It hurt like crazy for a couple hours.. I iced it and covered it in baking soda paste. By Sunday the swelling and pain were gone.
About an hour ago (3:30am) I woke up to a huge swollen foot. It hurts just as much as it did a week ago. I sprayed Benedryl on it.. so, hopefully that'll kick in soon. I feel a little queezy.. but, that could just be from lack of sleep (I stayed up LATE watching the women's gymnastics).
Have any of you experienced this before? I'm worried that maybe my foot is infected?

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: Reaction to bee sting.. a WEEK later!?!?

Oh, weird! Maybe the stinger broke off inside your foot?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just going to ask if the stinger had been removed. If you can see it and get it out without digging around too much I'd try that. If you can't I'd head to the doctor. It sounds much more like an infection than a bee sting reaction. I'm sorry mama! That sucks!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drearina View Post
I was just going to ask if the stinger had been removed. If you can see it and get it out without digging around too much I'd try that. If you can't I'd head to the doctor. It sounds much more like an infection than a bee sting reaction. I'm sorry mama! That sucks!
My mom pulled the stinger out almost immediately (it was a big chunk of bee stuck in my foot) . There isn't even a mark where I was stung. I did some searching online and found this:
"Delayed reactions result when the body's immune system prepares for future stings, but some of the exuberant defense measures inadvertently turn against the body itself. These symptoms begin more than four hours after the initial sting. Delayed reactions include serum sickness (fever, weakness, rash, swelling, and/or intense itching which begin a week after the sting), nephrotic syndrome (inflammation of the kidney), neuritis (inflammation of the nerves), or inflammation of other parts of the body."
http://www.drgreene.com/21_43.html
Sooo... I think I'm going to call my doctor in a couple hours (when his office opens) just to be safe.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
missus.mint
I do *those* parties
seller

My Mood:

My mother was stung by a wasp on her arm a few years back, and her reaction was delayed too. Yep...call your doc to be treated!! GL!!!!
missus.mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! My foot is better for the moment (benadryl kicked in).. so, I'm going back to bed before my kiddos wake up. I'll update this thread after I see what the doctor has to say.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:

this happened to my son. he was stung behind his ear and he was seemingly fine until about 72 hours afterwards when he developed swelling and a huge fever.
his head hurt as well.
i hope you are ok!!!

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How weird!
If I were to be stung I have to epipen and go to the hospital, so I have no idea what is "normal" for stings.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my DD's pediatrician look at my foot this morning. She said that I'm having an allergic reaction and gave me a sample of some strong anti-itch cream and told me to take Benadryl and make an appointment with my doctor (who is out of the office today ). I talked with my sister a few minutes ago.. she said she reacts just like this everytime she gets stung.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At least the ped. helped! Sorry your doctor is out of town! (Cain? He's been gone all week, it's ruining my life)
You might try an oatmeal paste on it, that really helps me with the itchies.