Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #51
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selective reduction

Laceysmom - I am pming you with an apology.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #52
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceysmom View Post
In the end, if this pregnancy is not viable, we will stop trying and just adopt.
Wow. I hope you don't convey that attitude of last resort or second best to your adopted children, if you have them. And trust me, if you think the infertility roller coaster is hard...just wait for the adoption one.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #53
laceysmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnsteph1022 View Post
Wow. I hope you don't convey that attitude of last resort or second best to your adopted children, if you have them. And trust me, if you think the infertility roller coaster is hard...just wait for the adoption one.
I'm not saying that we'll get our tubes tied and vasectomies and just never have the possibility again. I'm just saying that we won't chart anymore or temp, or use saliva monitors and ovulation prediction kits or any of that stuff. I can't take the heartache of trying with losses and no results anymore. It really zaps me emotionally.

Adoption is not last resort or second best by any means. Yes we want to have another biological child, but I would be just as happy with an adoptive child.

Motherhood is a blessing no matter how it comes to you.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #54
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I would not be able to reduce and live with myself. She needs to make the decison that is best for her and her family.
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #55
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*I* could not SR no matter what she chooses, just be there for her its going to be tough, she is so lucky to have a sister who cares ill be praying for y'all. please keep us updated
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #56
pitter_patter
Registered Users
seller

I guess I'll be the odd one out who says she should reduce to twins or triplets.

I struggled with infertility for years, and my husband and I had the "what if" talk before starting fertility treatments. We agreed that if we got pregnant with more than triplets, we would reduce. I took into account my health, the health of the potential babies, and our quality of life should we end up having four or five premature babies. We agreed that a twin or triplet pregnancy is all we could handle.

The media doesn't cover the women who have their children early, the ones who die in utero. The ones who are born severely premature, blind, deaf, disabled for life. No, you see the rosey success stories like that wretched Kate Gosselin. She has everything handed to her, just because she was selfish and put her life and the lives of her children at risk.

I was on an IF message board, a woman got pregnant with quads via IVF. She wanted to keep all four babies, despite her warning from her doctors. She lost all four boys at 22 weeks. In retrospect, she admits she should have reduced, and if she did, she'd have 2 year old twin boys, rather than no children at all.
pitter_patter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #57
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

It should be her decision. Only she knows if she can live with the consequences of any of the choices. Just support her fully, and don't do any "I told you so" type stuff. She shouldn't let ANYONE, even the doctor, decide for her, because, ultimately, it's her life & that of her unborn children. She needs to decide what risks/actions she can live with & which she can't.

Ami
Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #58
Monkeyfeet
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceysmom View Post

Motherhood is a blessing no matter how it comes to you.
EXACTLY, even if it comes through IVF.

Hugs to both you and your sister, I can not imagine being in her shoes. Also I think that it is great that you support her even though you do not agree with her.

Last edited by Monkeyfeet; 08-16-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Monkeyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #59
mcl916
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitter_patter View Post
I guess I'll be the odd one out who says she should reduce to twins or triplets.

I struggled with infertility for years, and my husband and I had the "what if" talk before starting fertility treatments. We agreed that if we got pregnant with more than triplets, we would reduce. I took into account my health, the health of the potential babies, and our quality of life should we end up having four or five premature babies. We agreed that a twin or triplet pregnancy is all we could handle.

The media doesn't cover the women who have their children early, the ones who die in utero. The ones who are born severely premature, blind, deaf, disabled for life. No, you see the rosey success stories like that wretched Kate Gosselin. She has everything handed to her, just because she was selfish and put her life and the lives of her children at risk.

I was on an IF message board, a woman got pregnant with quads via IVF. She wanted to keep all four babies, despite her warning from her doctors. She lost all four boys at 22 weeks. In retrospect, she admits she should have reduced, and if she did, she'd have 2 year old twin boys, rather than no children at all.

I'm going to have to agree with you. After dealing with infertility and finally concieving through IVF, there were MANY discussions about SR. I am so thankful we were never in that postion though as I know it would be a difficult decision to make. However, I also have worked in a NICU and have seen some heartbreaking outcomes to carrying high order multiples. As a pp stated, you don't see all the cases that don't have perfect outcomes. You don't hear about the moms who lost their entire pregnancy and almost their own lives by trying to carry to term. It's SUCH a personal decision and my thoughts and prayers are with them whatever their decision may be. You are doing all you can by being there for her and supporting her decision. I'm sure she never thought she would be in this position and this decision will be with her for the rest of her life.

mcl916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #60
pillywiggins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My thoughts and prayers are with your sister also. I am an IVF mama getting ready to do an frozen embryo transfer next month. I have seven little babies on ice.
DH and I have had multiple discussions on what we would do if we were pg with more than three. Still to this day we have never really answered our questions because we haven't been in that situation yet.

Now I do have to say that I expressed that I was a little worried about having twins again to the RE but we are still putting in 2 blasts (I think) or three 3 dayers that we have. I know I did it the first time and I can do it again.

Your sister has a big decision to make. It needs to be what her heart tells her. She will know what is the right decision for her and her family. Big hugs to her. I'll keep her in my prayers.