Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

how do you PT in public?

So we've only been at this for not quite a week, and I've just been putting him in a diaper when we go out. Is this the best thing? I don't really want to start him on a regular toilet yet since he gets so scared of auto flushers. For the most part we aren't out long enough for it to be an issue. But what do you do for an all day trip? Should I plunge in and do trainers while out? Do I bring our little potty with us? I dont really want to hinder what we've done this week, but I don't want to have a big mess that makes DS feel bad.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you PT in public?

We didn't go out. Except for bare minimum grocery shopping. We just didn't go. lol. Probably not what you wanted to hear!
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

that's what we've been doing, but we are going to see my bro and sil on sunday and I don't know what to do.
Join me on Swagbucks

Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
jeniperlyn
Registered Users
seller

If he isn't having accidents, i would make sure he went before you leave the house and take extra clothes just in case of an accident.
SAHM to Zachary Arthur 4/5/06 Mckenzie Elizabeth 5/14/08 our angel with wings 6/2/07 & Complete Molar Pregnancy 3/8/12 followed by ema/co (multi unit chemo). weened at 24 months DD and 12 months DS, , ...out of the loop! Baby #3 due 5/19/15.
jeniperlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Kimbokarrie
Registered Users
seller

We went full on undies, and just had a week long vacation including a 3 hour car ride.

I just made sure he went before we went out, and then once we got there I would ask him if he had to go, etc. Before we get out of the car, I always stop him and tell him that if he has to go he needs to tell mommy.

We had one accident where he told me he had to go and we didn't get to the potty in time, and ever since then he was embarrassed and learned to hold it until we got to the potty.

You may be surprised, but bring along extra clothes and undies just in case.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

HOw did he do on big toilets? DS has never been on one yet. The biggest thing is I want to do some shopping today and I know that DS won't tell me he has to go and doesn't like to be asked. I'm just nervous that maybe I'm rushing this.
Join me on Swagbucks

Last edited by rawheid; 08-16-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Kimbokarrie
Registered Users
seller

We make a big hoopla about it when he uses a public toilet, so he thinks it's kind of fun. He also likes to be scared I think, so when we did the first automatic flusher thing he tried to run out of the stall. Then I told him "WOW! That was scary huh? DO it AGAIN!!!" And then he went up and pushed the button on the toilet to make it flush again.

Ever since then he hasn't been scared of them.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

well that good to know. I think I'm jsut really nervous that maybe he's actually getting it. He went from 7:15 till 9:30 this morning without peeing. and he did go on the potty. We did have to run an errand so I put him in a diaper and he was dry when we went to the potty. He sometimes gets frustrated when we have to go to the bathroom, but he almost always goes.
Join me on Swagbucks

Old 08-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we use the pot before we go out, pack a bag of unders, wipes and extra shorts/pants and if there is a chance they will fall asleep in the car i put a pf under them in the car seat. when we get to where we are going, depending on what it is or how long since they went, i will say we need to go potty. if someone protests i say, well, let's just check. the word "try" seems to throw them off, they seem to understand or feel better about "check". if they are adamant about not going, i don't push it. i don't ask if they need to go, or wait for them to tell me. when they do tell me, we go of course, but i also initiate the conversation. about the auto flushers--put some tp over the sensor thing and it won't flush. you can practice using the big toilet at home if you think it will make a difference, but i think most kiddos enjoy the novelty of new toilets.

oh, and yes, we do sometimes take potties with us. we have 2 of the bblp, so they are very packable. we actually took one in a backpack to the county fair this week. im not interested in taking a pt toddler into a portapot!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

well we went for the first time out with undies. We tried to pee on the potty before we left and he didn't go. We were going to be gone all of 30 min tops. We made it through the first store. and he wanted to got to another, so I said Mommy has to go pee (which of course I did, I mean I'm pg) I tried to put him on the toilet but he didn't have to go still and when I flushed the toilet it scared him so bad he couldn't stop crying. So now I've made him scared of public washrooms. He's fine with reg toilets, just not the high pressure ones. Fine we got over the crying and we went to the other store and then out. I congratulated him when we got back to the car for doing so well. And then we drove home and when I took him out of his seat he had peed in the carseat. Seriously it took 3 minutes to get home. Very frustrating, but I kept it in since that doesn't achieve much. So I don't know what to say or do. I asked him what happened and he hadn't even noticed that he'd peed. I guess for the drive to my bro's (1 hr) we'll just put him in a diaper and bring his little potty.

On another note though he came to me and told me he had pooped in his diaper today. I just hope that I'm not rushing this.
Join me on Swagbucks