Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
amjbmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Good meatloaf recipe

anyone have an easy and yummy meatloaf recipe? I remember my g-ma using ground meat, eggs, bread crumbs and tomato paste.... am I forgetting anything? TIA

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Good meatloaf recipe

I use ground beef, seasoning( pepper, salt, garlic or garlic salt and itialian seasoning),chopped dried onion(optional) egg, bread crumbs, and I mix in 1/3 of a bag of frozen mixed veggies(they cook in the oven with the meat....

mold into loaf, cook on 350, I think it is 30-40 mins...I cook just about everything on 400 and it usually takes around 30mins

when the meatloaf is pretty much done I take it out and put ketchup on it and then put it back in the oven for another 10 mins...I use ketchup because it is quick and easy to top it with and already seasoned (maybe that's where the tomato paste came in?)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
amjbmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama!! I LOVE the frozen veggie idea I was going to add in some grated carrots but I think the kids would eat up the veggies if they were in the meatloaf.... that's BRILLIANT!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
Amber709
Registered Users

Mmmm, that sounds delicious, mom2piddle.
Amber709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
ccinadr
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use ground beef, an egg or two, crushed saltines, pepper, ketchup, mustard, chopped onions. You can grate the onions and some garlic for added flavor that no one will see. One trick I do, to get the meat loaf on the table fast, is to make it into a meat cake! Just put in on a foil lined cookie sheet and flatten it out about an inch or so high, into a rectangle. You could also form it into shapes, football for a football party, soccer, etc., and when it's almost done, decorate it with some more ketchup to make it look like the football, etc.!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use ground beef, a little onion (I'm not a big onion fan), 1 clove of garlic, salt and pepper, egg, bread, bbq sauce instead of ketchup.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

my mom always added the frozen veggies....just through them in with all the other ingredients and mix.....most of the time I leave the onions out but on occasion I have some dried chopped onion in my spice cabinet that I through in....sorry I should have mentioned that up until 2 days ago I didn't even own a loaf pan! I too use a foil lines cookie sheet and shape it in a regtangular loaf (or 2) in our house!

Last edited by mom2piddle; 08-19-2008 at 06:59 AM.
mom2piddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like to add some grated parmesean cheese
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
chatterbox
Registered Users

My Mood:

I soak a slice of bread (maybe 2 if making a big meatloaf) in al ittle milk sometimes I use quick cooking oats instead of bread, (good for you) or crushed crackers and add finely chopped or grated onion, (if anyone doesn't like them like little kiddo's) catsup, an egg (or two) salt, pepper, parsley (I think parsley enhances the meat flavor and I add it to lots of ground beef dishes) I might put in a little basil or oregano. Sometimes I add grated carrot, chopped celery or green peppers (again some do not like the taste of these so they are very optional. Mix with your hands, a spoon just won't mix it all together like it needs to be. I then make a mound or two mounds on a foil lined baking sheet top with catsup and spread it all over the top with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350 for about an hour or till the juices running out are clear and the sides/bottom is browned. I have a recipe somewhere that you put cornflakes and pickle relish in the ground beef and top with a can of cheddar cheese soup. It sounds awful but was pretty good. Haven't had the recipe in a while though so I'm not sure what all was in it.
chatterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
RebeccaA
Registered Users

My Mood:

I do basically what has been previously posted with saltines, egg, spices and ketchup but I also shred a potato (like shredded cheese)... Nice texture!
RebeccaA is offline   Reply With Quote