Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much do you get when you pump?

Interesting to read that not many mama's are producing the 6+ ounces that I for some reason thought was typical for a skipped feeding. This makes me feel better. I've never been a huge milk producer - that 150 ounces in the freezer makes me very jealous! - but I am making more milk this time around and, as I realized with DD2, extra milk is just an added bonus. I just need to be able to feed my child and I can do that.

Sounds like 4 ounces is nothing unusual at all.

Advertisement

aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
*Eva*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get about 8-9 pz total if I pump. I rarely do though b/c he refuses to take a bottle.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
soccergirl17
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think if you are getting 2-5 ounces in one attempt you are doing pretty good. I usually find pumping in the morning is best (I will feed ds on one side and pump the other after he's done). I don't think you need to worry too much about how much your ds is getting when you bf. As long as he is pooping and he's happy after feeding you are both doing great!
soccergirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
kurtisandleah
Registered Users

my son is now 9 mo, and i work one day a week - usually a 13 hr shift, i pump 3 times, and I usually get 4 oz at each pump. i've read that a pump is only getting apx. 20% of what is actually there - so don't freak out if you don't get alot. some women just don't respond to a pump very well. no pump is as efficient as a baby!
kurtisandleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I rarely pump, but when I do, I get 2-3oz. Although, at the end of June, I got 6oz and shocked myself. I am a bit of an overproducer, so i know my results are not typical for a once in a blue moon pumper.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #16
cjamsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been EP'ing since January (my DD has had a host of medical and feeding issues) and my morning pump (going on right now ) is about 10 ounces. The rest of the day (I pump every 3-4 hours except at night) will bring up to five. I always figured there was some research behind the fact that the Medela bottles that came with the pump held 5 ounces. LOL

BTW - I have found that I get a lot more by switch pumping (like switch nursing) than by double pumping. Plus I do a lot of massage to get it all out! I nursed my son until he was three so it breaks my heart that this one can no longer nurse at the breast.....
Old 08-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #17
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ds is 5 mos. I get 4 oz every 4 hours or so....I've pumped that much since ds was 2-3 mos old...it never increases but he grows well and he always seems satisfied...who knows?!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #18
mama2riaan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am down to pumping 2 times a day but am still nursing through the day and night and normeally get around 10 ounces each time
Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #19
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

When I'm at work for a 5 hour shift, I pump 6-8 ounces. Last night before bed(baby was already down for the night) I pumped to make sure my mom had enough milk for when she babysits today, and I got 4 1/2 ounces.
pixilated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #20
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS started sleeping thru the night very early (like 3 months)- so I was able to go back to the gym in the early am- So, I pump at 4-430am- and I stop after about 7-10 minutes because I've filled up the bottles- so about 12+ ozs/day... If I skip the gym and pump immediately after DS eats at 7am, then I get about 6oz total- sometimes less like 4oz...

I haven't tried pumping at any other time during the day- it's just soooo much easier to whip out the boob and feed him- but of course, that has also lead to DS HATING the bottle!!! oh well...