Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #21
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much do you get when you pump?

I pump twice at work and I noticed my supply is going down when I pump. There have been times I barely get anything and other times it's up to normal. I used to get 4 ounces each time I pumped (sometimes more but never less than 4). Now I get between 4-6 ounces total. I've been nursing my lo for 9 months now, and I've been back to work since she was 8 weeks.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #22
DKennedy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggfan View Post
How much do you get when you pump? How often do you pump and how old is your child?

I ask because DS is 4 months old and yesterday I pumped for the first time in about a month (so obviously, I don't pump often). It was a missed late night feeding and I got about 4.5 ounces, which I realized when putting into the freezer is how much I've always pumped, even DS was less than a month old and I think I had a bigger supply. No matter the circumstances, I don't think I ever pump more than 4-5 ounces. Sometimes, when it's just for engorgement, I have pumped a lot less.

It surprises me that the maximum amount seems pretty consistent and also a bit low to me. After all, he should be getting more in a feeding now than when he was a month old, right?

When I pump, I use a double electric Medela Pump in Style. I get between 6-8 oz a session. I'm exclusively nursing twin boys, who are 3 months old.

I pump when I am working .... usually 3 times in a 10 hour shift. If I feel like I need more of a stash, I will pump in the car, when we are going on a family outing. (we're 30 min away from DHs family)I'm a little lazy about pumping when I'm not working ... I'm not too stressed about keeping up with pumping a lot, since I only work 2 days/week.

For the OP ... this is my second time around with working/pumping, so I think that helps. I'm used to pumping, if that makes sense. Having said that ... I wouldn't stress about the number of ounces you're pumping, etc. Every one is different, and you have to remember that even the best pump is not as efficient as your baby. I think your 4-5 ounces sounds fine. There are moms who would love to get that much!

Kellymom.com has some wonderful tips on building a freezer stash, 'power pumping', etc. Good luck!
DKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #23
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I pump once or twice a day to make a freezer stash because I'm headed back to work next week and rotate out the milk that's been in there a while. She's 7 months and I pump between 3-5oz at a time. I pumped occasionally when my middle daughter was about 15months and I never got more than 4oz. I think they just eat so often and their bellies are so small and breastmilk is so digestible that they don't need large quantities. I wouldn't store more than 4oz at a time in the freezer anyway because then you risk wasting it when you thaw for a bottle. It's too precious to waste any even if you have a copious supply at your disposal. Anytime I spill some on the counter or whatever even though I have MORE than enough for my child and probably 2 other children, I feel sad because I know that somewhere there are lots of moms who want desperately to breastfeed but can't or have to supplement due to low supply. I feel like it's my duty not to waste what was granted to me.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 08-18-2008 at 06:14 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #24
DKennedy
Registered Users

oh .... for all you working mommas ....
I learned the hard way ... stick with newborn nipples for the entire time you are nursing. I went through a period when I was having trouble keeping up with my daughter's milk demands while I was at work, and I think it was because DH was overfeeding her. We were using the stage 2 nipples, and she blew through bottles like gang busters.
DKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #25
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe 1.5oz total from both breast combined! I just have a difficult time letting down for the pump. I've never let how much I get at the pump determine how much my baby is getting. My baby is more effecient at nursing than a machine. I've ext-nursed all 4 of my kiddos and am still ext.nursing Layla right now at 20m and they've all been big healthy babies, and never complained. I just decided to stop pumping bc it was depressing to pump so little.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #26
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKennedy View Post
oh .... for all you working mommas ....
I learned the hard way ... stick with newborn nipples for the entire time you are nursing. I went through a period when I was having trouble keeping up with my daughter's milk demands while I was at work, and I think it was because DH was overfeeding her. We were using the stage 2 nipples, and she blew through bottles like gang busters.
This is what I do too. I don't want them to get used to anything that might be faster than me or have to work even less to get it. They get lazy from the bottle as it is. I don't want to make it any worse.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #27
chrisjon0708
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I first started pumping with my son I would only get about 2-3 ounces per side. After breastfeeding for a while I could generally get almost 5-6 sometimes more per side. It made for a nice stash!

When my son was done feeding I would pump maybe 30 minutes or so after, and then if he only ate on one side I would pump the other and then start on that side at the next feeding, etc.
chrisjon0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #28
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get about 4-5 oz in the midday pumping and about 10 oz each in the morning and afternoon (I pump in my car during commute)
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #29
Delilah's Mama
Baby Badunkadunk
seller

My Mood:

If I pump while engorged I get about 4oz

ETA: but I just have a handpump.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #30
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is the 2nd round of pumping for donation purposes for me. I'm not doing as much as last time, I simply don't have the free time. I pump 4-5oz twice a day. Takes about 5-7 minutes each time with an Avent Isis. I freeze 8 oz and give the rest to my 2yo in his sippy (he weaned while I was pregnant).