Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
kids meal ideas for limited carbs

my son is 4 and really has to limit his carbs. breads pasta rice etc. but can still have some. any ideas on some meal ideas that only use a bit of these?

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: kids meal ideas for limited carbs

I myself have to limit my carbs. My body does not digest carbs well. I do get to eat brown rice which I love
There is a pasta called Dreamfields Pasta. It is for the carb conscience people. I do allow myself to eat that. There is a bread called Ezekiel 4:9 Bread that I can get at Whole foods. I like to eat that toasted w/ almond butter on it. It is a bread that is sprouted whole grain bread. You do need to keep it in the refrigerator tho.
I don't have to much of a tough time finding something for lunch, however, I do try and eat a vegie salad. Don't know how a child would do with no breads or pasta. Maybe you could google something.

Last edited by starbuckmom; 08-17-2008 at 08:43 AM.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

perhaps your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist who can work out a meal plan for your son.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I brought this thread up because we need help with this. I'm sure there are other mamas out there cooking some super-healthy lunches & snacks for hungry kiddos!

I'll start with some. Please add any ideas u have!

-Celery sticks with Peanut Butter (so simple) u can add raisins on top.
tuna salad/chicken salad in pita. (if your kids will eat pitas - LOL)

My kids really want things like corn dogs and I will alow these occasionally. (we also like MorningStar Farms veggie corndogs!)

I also found this book, and it is at our library, too. It even has shopping lists!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0345478061

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 01-30-2009 at 08:52 AM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have to eat that way - what types of food does your lo like?
We eat a lot of beans - kids included - more veggies and fruits - of course all the above have carbs - personally i can handle them better than pastas/rice/bread

for bread start with stoneground whole wheat - no more than one piece - pair with fat and protien - such as cheese or some type of nut butter - better yet skip the bread and put it on apples or celery

for pasta we use one that has extra protein and still tastes like pasta barilla plus- but again always with protien and fat - deffinately less than a serving of it as well
try using spagehtti squash instead though - I personally only like it with a stronger sauce but who knows

brown balsmati is supposedly to have the lowest glycemic load - dont overcook + pair with protien and fat

typically on recipes I'll cut whatever carbs I can and double the meat - my youngest really likes hummus, tunafish salad, black bean salad - I know kind of strange things but they might work for yours as well

oh - we also use corn tortillas some since they are better typically than the flour ones and arent a lot of carbs for one - for quesadilla or with scrambled eggs for example

try boiled mashed califlower in place of mashed potatoes - or even sweet potatoes are better than the white potatoes

umm whatelse - we do quiches too without a crust in a plate plate - make our own pizza at home where i can make a super thin crust

once in awhile we have pancakes - i've done a number of different things but blintz pancakes or crepes are probably the lowest carb without any subsitutions

I'll try to check back in if I think of more things - I've had to eat differently for starting on 9 years now so I'm sure some is just habit that i'm not thinking of but its super difficult to eat at other people's houses or out to eat usually as well because carbs -especially pasta/rice/potatoes are such a big part of most diets