Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Those who delay, selec. vax, etc.

Just wanted to add a note about how long ot delay - I missed that before. Sorry!

Wait until ATLEAST after the age of 2. The blood-brain barrier is not fully formed and is much more permiable before the age of 2. The very permiable blood brain barrier and the insane number of shots kids recieve during the first two years are a dangerous combination.

Obviously it doesn't suddenly fully form the day they turn 2. Think of it as something that is slowly forming, to protect their brain, over a long period of time - Like the fontanels (soft spots) slowly closing up!

Many people who delay vaxing delay until the child is ready to start school.

Advertisement

naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbkt8 View Post
i'm not sure i'd exactly call myself a delayed vaxer, but we did delay varicella and the MMR a bit and a few others things. i think i asked a few questions about them when speaking with the Dr. and then said we wouldn't be getting xyz at this time or wanted to wait to get x until later, etc. i personally wouldn't discuss it with the nurse at all, but then again the nurses at our ped's office annoy me. our ped is favorable towards vaxing, but has never been militant or pushy with me about it thankfully.

Last edited by tessa1002; 10-16-2006 at 02:00 PM.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
If you plan on delaying, it really depends on each family. But I think 2 is a good age IMO. because that way the immune system can better handle the toxins and stuff that's in those vaccines.
I thought it wasn't their immune system, but the blood barrier in the brain. My understanding was that its permeable (sp?) until the age of two?
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

The blood barrier is what I've read, too. But I think people are more comfy with their immune system then, too.
Ohhh, I am on MDC and posted but got faster answers here for now. I am doing research over there but the babies are being stubborn about demanding my time for now, lol. Hopefully I can get on there for longer times later,
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
Kimmomy2dom
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Well that went about as well as I thought. Looks like we'll be getting a new doc. I'm gonna wander over to MDC to see if anyone is around me and knows about one.
Are there any other health professionals I could use?
Do you think there will be any reprocussions from me not vaxing and leaving my current doc? I really liked them, too.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom View Post
Well that went about as well as I thought. Looks like we'll be getting a new doc. I'm gonna wander over to MDC to see if anyone is around me and knows about one.
Do you think there will be any reprocussions from me not vaxing and leaving my current doc? I really liked them, too.
Ugh, I'm sorry it didn't go well. I *hear* that family Drs. are usually less inclined to push the vax issue but I don't have any personal experience. I really don't think that you should have any problems though. The biggest pain will probably just dealing with the switch w/ insurance and medical records and such. Good luck, and I hope you find a doc that understands you a bit more!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Kimmomy2dom
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, we had a family doc. There's a city (I was born there) about a half hour away that is definitely crunchier than we are up here. I'm looking into that. Hopefully someone on MDC will know!
Can people use things like naturopaths as family doctor types, KWIM?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
Babyvan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom View Post
I was really lucky that our Ped (although she is pro-vax) doesn't push vax's. She has a lot of parents who don't vax their kids. She told me outright that she is ok w/ whatever I decided I want to do.

But we took our third ds to my dh's doc once for a "guy" thing and he asked if our ds was current on vax's. Since I was scoping out male dr's for our boys, I didn't lie (like I normally would have for a one-time visit w/ a doc we don't normally see)....I wanted to see what his reaction would be. He reacted so strongly that I was taken aback. I feel for those of you who have had to deal w/ this, especially if you were not prepared for it. He did tell me that he would not see us if our children were not vax'd that we were harming our children, blah blah blah. That's fine. because I don't want to see a doc like that anyway (besides I do not respect this doc for other reasons).

Good luck finding a better suited doc!

** Oh, I forgot to say, you should find out what the exemption laws are in your state. You can look that up here. You should be prepared to do the paperwork and have your reasoning lined out for why you are not vaxing (your religious or philosophical reason). If they pressure you any more on the religious reasons or ask you about it or to defend it, or what your formal affiliation is, you don't have to answer that. It is possible that a doc could call CPS on you, but it's not likely. If you have your stuff in order, you should be fine. If no one shows up w/in 24 hours, they probably won't.

Last edited by Babyvan; 10-17-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Babyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #19
Kimmomy2dom
seller

My Mood:

He wasn't too bad, and I just kept my mouth shut and pretended like I was taking them in next week. If they call and complain I'll just tell them I'm having surgery and hope that shuts them up, LOL. They did kinda treat us like we were stupid, though. I'm proud of DH for standing by me,
I think we're gonna have a hard time finding a doc, it's not very crunchy here. I'm kinda getting worried about it.