Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
heidi320
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
*VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

My little guy is three and a half months old and we've nursed in public plenty. In the beginning I used a cover to get him latched because we werent very good at it, but thats it. Only once have a had an issue with showing quite a bit of skin because DS thought it would a good time to play instead of eat, but it didnt bother me or DH. Just put everything away and went about out business.

Yesteday I was at a salon to get my hair cut but the lady was running behind. I decided to go ahead and nurse Brandon so he wouldnt be hungry in the middle of my appointment and DH could take him around to other places in the shopping center. So I sat down in a chair to nurse him. Another lady walks out of the back, looks at me and keeps walking. She comes back with a towel that they use for PEDICURES! She tried to put it over Brandon's head - I told her no, I dont need that. She said, "Yes, you need." I pushed at her hand and told her no again, shaking my head. She brought the towel towards me again, but I guess thought better of it and walked away.

WTH? IF I wanted to cover my baby, I'd do it with MY blankets. Not some towel that you use to clean peoples feet! I mean, my towels would be one thing, but towels that have touched who knows how many peoples feet?! Hot water doesnt kill everything! Blech! And honestly, I was NOT showing any skin (not that it matters!). But I was wearing a undershirt that was pulled down, and a T shirt that was pulled up - the only thing exposed was Brandon's HEAD! His head is exposed whether he's suckling or not, so WTF is the issue?! I dont know why this is bothering me, but its really irking my nerves.

The bad thing is I still have a 118 dollars on the gift card that DH got me to that salon/day spa for mothers day and I dont feel like going back! Poor DH, he doesnt understand...he actually said "Maybe she thought you just forgot a blanket to cover up with." What does that have to do with it?

I will stop writing my novel now, cause I am starting to ramble! It just really irritated me!

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

I would call the manager and tell him/her what an aweful experience you had there. I would explain how this woman offended you and that you'd like the balance of your gift card back in cash/credit (however your dh paid for it).
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

She probably thought you wanted it but since you shooed her away, she left. That's great!

I've been asked (on a plane, in the mall, etc.) if I wanted a cover and when I answer "No thank you" the asker says "Are you sure?" A simple "Yes thanks" is all that is needed.

Sorry she put a yucky foot rag on your baby.

Last edited by MatildasMum; 08-17-2008 at 09:45 AM.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and ss you had to deal with that. I did have a flight attendant TRY to throw an airplane blanket at me once. I just caught it mid-throw and handed it back to her. I get the gross factor. Can you imagine putting my baby under one of those nasty fleecy airplane blankets that they don't clean? Yuck, and no thank you.
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That was unfortunate, but maybe it was just that one employee's opinion. (even though it's sad, some ppl are just soooo uncomfortable with breastfeeding)

I think you handled it perfectly and I would probably give them one more chance if you like the place otherwise. If other employees treat you the same way, then I would notify management. GL, you are providing a good example for others to follow. And for that, I thank you.
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would complain to the manger about that. You had the right to BF your baby, you were not hurting anyone. I would be talking to anyone I could regarding this matter. You were a lot nicer then I would have been!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
mom2nine
Registered Users

My Mood:

You need a shirt that says "If my breastfeeding in public offends you, please feel free to put a blanket over YOUR head!!!"
Get $10 off diapers.com with code BUSY6470
mom2nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I would call the manager and tell him/her what an aweful experience you had there. I would explain how this woman offended you and that you'd like the balance of your gift card back in cash/credit (however your dh paid for it).
ITA. I'd get that balance and then go somewhere else.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2nine View Post
You need a shirt that says "If my breastfeeding in public offends you, please feel free to put a blanket over YOUR head!!!"

I would give the manager a chance to correct the problem. Otherwise, it may happen to another mama by the same employee. I would clearly and concisely explain the situation and how it made you feel. You would like to continue to go to the spa, but not under these circumstances. Then just see what the manager says. If the manager is not responsive, then I would ask for a refund.

I hope that it works out well!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm not seeing the problem. She didn't ask you to leave nor did she press the issue. You continued to NIP, right?
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote