Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
cari15838
Registered Users

My Mood:
How often does your EBF 5 month old BF? and a question about solids...........

My baby is almost 5 months, and for the past couple weeks has gone from BFing every 4 hours average, to eating every 2 hours on the dot, day and night......... so I am just wondering about other babies this age that are not on any solids at all..........

also, I have read that babies should not start solids until they can sit up on their own........ does this mean going fom laying flat to sitting and stay sitting by themselves, or able to sit when put in sitting position?
she cant do either yet, but she can sit up for a long time holding my index fingers in her hands for balance (she just lacks the balance)

oh, and what is a good food to start with if I don't want to do cereal? I'm thinking avocado, WDYT?

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
mikabryce
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often does your EBF 5 month old BF? and a question about solids...........

Babes often go through growth spurts where they need to nurse more often..perfectly normal! Also, they really don't "need" anything other than breastmilk for the first 6 months...then you are simply introducing them to taste & texture. My youngest dd is 7+ months and only just now eating solids in any volume. You can really start with any food you would like, but they generally recommend foods low in reaction and preferably not sweet so as not to encourage rejection of non-sweet foods later on...Good Luck! Eve
Old 08-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often does your EBF 5 month old BF? and a question about solids...........

they don't really need anything other than breastmilk for the first year. the intestinal lining is less porous after 6 months, so it's considered safe to let them eat solids after that. before 6 months, proteins can go through the intestinal wall and are more likely to cause allergic reactions (now) or allergies later in life. solids have fewer calories and nutrients than breastmilk, so while the baby is growing a lot, it's really important that they eat the most caloric, nutrient-dense food available: breastmilk.

nursing more frequently is the best way to increase your supply, so when babies are growing a lot, they naturally want to nurse more. also, if your baby is sick or fighting something off, s/he may want to nurse more to get a natural dose of your antibodies. the germs in your baby's saliva tell your breasts what antibodies to make.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cari15838 View Post
oh, and what is a good food to start with if I don't want to do cereal? I'm thinking avocado, WDYT?
good idea! my ped is really up on nutrition and allergy research, and she said that grains are junk food for babies. she suggests starting w/ chunks of soft veggies/fruits b/c they have more nutrients. they are a lot lower in calories than breastmilk, so be sure not to fill your baby up w/ too many of them.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

At that age my guy was nursing all the time. It's perfectly normal but definitely tiring! We tasted a handful of solids just after 6 months- banana and ripe avocado. DS was sitting up unassisted, but we went ahead and held off. We pretty much delayed solids until 8 months just because I didn't mind EBFing until then (and I was waiting to see teeth-sort of the folksy way of looking at being ready for solids ) and DS has done really well now with his solids. It seems like waiting that little extra time made him very excited about eating and he's been amazingly adventurous. We started with avocado, sweet potato, boiled new potatoes mashed with olive oil, organic whole milk yogurt (both cow and goat) the much maligned organic rice cereal , bananas and applesauce. He's come a long way since those first foods- Last night we went to an amazing full moon cookout/potluck and DS's favorite dishes were a curry and chicken sausage! He'll be 10 mos. in a couple days.

ETA: DS still nurses every few hours, though. NAK right now even.

Last edited by duckpondsunset; 08-17-2008 at 12:27 PM.
duckpondsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpasirhc View Post
the germs in your baby's saliva tell your breasts what antibodies to make.
I have been bfing on and off for 6 years and I had no idea about that!

That is why I DS. I learn something new everytime I sign on.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What does NAK mean?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdawn25 View Post
What does NAK mean?
nursing at keyboard
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have not started solids yet and do not plan to start until DS can sit up on his own and is actively showing interest in foods, such as grabbing food from us. I plan to start him with avocado, sweet potatos or bananas.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckpondatdusk View Post
nursing at keyboard
Thanks! I could not figure that one out.

My 5 mo eats about every 2 hours day and night.

Last edited by missdawn25; 08-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.
missdawn25 is offline   Reply With Quote