Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can we cross the CDN-US border without a Birth Cert?

I have family going to Michigan tomorrow from Georgia and they want to see our new kidlings but their Birth Certificates have still yet to arrive.

I sent emails and called the Canadian Borders Service Agency and didn't get a reply yet.

Can I take my boys to the States with just their Ontario Health Cards and Notices of Registrations? The paper states clearly that it is not a Birth Certificate but it does have all the information a B.C gives.

We could get a relaxed Customs Officer that will let us into the States but can we get back home?

I'm quite stressed out about this. I can't leave them with family during the day for a few hours and them come back because we bf and I've never left their sight for more than a shower with the curtain half open.

It is not at all worth the risk in trying it without knowing if we're stuck over there. Or worse - we could end up Lost in Translation like Tom Hanks but be stuck on the bridge coming back to Canada but not be allowed past the booth.

Does anyone have any idea if just Health Cards are enough for babies? I don't know where to find the phone number for the Bluewater Bridges either.

I'd like to have a hard copy/print screen of a reply from an official regarding my question. I have just this week to get over and I'm doubting they just somehow cosmically arrive when we've been waiting nearly 2 months already...

Please fellow Canadians, someone please respond!
[/COLOR]

Advertisement

mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
yogging mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can we cross the CDN-US border without a Birth Cert?

The US customs officers will ask for ID for all of you - that is why you need the Birth Certificates. The CDN won't ask for ID on the way home (most times).

I have crossed the border so many times - but I forget what I used - I think a Health Card, but that was before the new rules.

I'm gonna email my sister and ask her (she lives right on the border and crosses all them time).
Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
yogging mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp sorry

Last edited by yogging mom; 08-18-2008 at 04:12 AM.
yogging mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
sher
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was just at the passport office on Saturday applying for a new passport which won't get here in time for our trip southside. The only other IDs we can cross with is our birth certificates plus one other piece of government issued IDs, if we're driving - see here.

US immigration seems pretty adamant about crossing with the proper paperwork these days.
sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
prid5
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am a dual citizen and they always ask for birth certificates and we couldnt go to visit family until we had the newest arrivals bc. Did you end up traveling abroad,if so,how did it go?

in the 10 years I have been traveling between boarders,they are really cracking down.
"Let me start off by saying that in 2000 I said, 'Vote for me. I'm an agent of change.' In 2004, I said, 'I'm not interested in change --I want to continue as president.' Every candidate has got to say 'change.' That's what the American people expect." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., March 5, 2008
prid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Can your family cross the border into Canada, and visit you in Sarnia (not sure which border they are using)??? If they have proper ID, they can come over here and vice versa with no problems...
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
bazora
Banned

Yes, gotta have the BC. And if you're flying, you have to have a passport for your DD/DS too! (I can't see the point... spend $100 on a passport that within 12 months won't look a thing like your kid anymore? Had to do this with DD when she was 5 weeks old... doesn't make a whit of sense!)

Adrienne
(currently in Northern California, hoping by this time next summer to be living with Canadian DH and DD and DS in Ottawa!!)
bazora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
mommamea
Registered Users

I believe that if you show proof of a trip (hotel, air, anything you can come up with) or make a written statement about your trip by car (we wrote a letter with dates), they will make you a passport on short notice with just the letter of registration, but it will expire in 6 months unless you go and show them the birth certificate when it comes. We did this with our 3 mo and a trip to Chicago, and it worked out fine, though we made LOTS of trips back and forth to the Kitchener passport office... luckily after the first time they gave us these tags to jump to shorter "returning" lines rather than the regular lineup, so not so bad!

Good luck with your trip.
mommamea is offline   Reply With Quote