Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone else have a late/slow talker?

Donovan was a slow talker. He is like his father in soo many ways. My DH is not much of a talker either.
He was not really saying much at all until about 2 1/2 years old. He said only about 10 words at 18 months and had speech therapy in home for several months. His speech is a little delayed.
But he is a prefectly normal kid. I had him tested at the public school in case he might need more therapy before he goes to school. We will see

Alex on the other hand talks a lot and he is only 16 months old.

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #12
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ash can only say daddy and dog at 12 months, but he was always really ahead physically. (sat up at 2m3weeks and walked at 8.5 months) Even though my ped isn't really concerned about his vocab he did say that its normal for babies that are ahead in one thing to be slower in the others. Anyways, she's talking so I wouldn't be worried at all, and maybe since she's fast physically she's just concentrating on that more!
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #13
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

At 12 months all Ashna says without being prompted is yeah and dada. Sometimes she mimics words i have just said and if it is close i say "yeah, I said ___". She babbles sentences to herself but we have no clue what she is saying.
Ofcoarse, i was around a 3 year old the other day that really was not doing well talking. All i could understand was yes, no, ball, and dot. Everything else was jibberish or crying.
As long as your child is learning new things everyday then i wouldn't worry.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #14
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Youngest dd is now 22 months, had 4 words at 16-17 months (I recently found a copy of a medical report from that time period). "Hi", "bye", "mama" and "dada". I know that she lost "mama" after that for a while, because she was calling me "daddy" all summer. She didn't babble consonant sounds at all until 10 months, and never really babbled much at all. We had an evaluation when she was around 16 months, and she qualified for EI, but it took months for her to get services. She didn't progress at all with speech while we were waiting for services. Then suddenly she started talking in sentences at about 19 months. (The same thing happened with older dd at about 16 months, after she had qualified for EI). Even after speaking in sentences for a few months, she just now started saying "no" in the past week.

I find it frustrating the dc with delayed speech get treated by others as if they were younger. It hasn't been much of an issue with my dd's beause they caught up quickly, but my younger ds really didn't speak well until he was 2.5 (started putting words together at just over 2 but had a better vocabulary at 15-16 months than my dd's did). He was at a daycare with a boy who was a week younger than him, but spoke well and was several inches taller. The other boy was treated as if he was much older than my ds, instead of being the same age.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, DD is tall and has longish hair for her age so people think she's two instead of a year and a half. They always ask her what her name is and all kinds of questions and I'm like, "Ummm, she's not much of a talker yet." Then they look at her funny. Or maybe that's just my paranoia.

It's just crazy when I read on my birthboard that tons of kids are saying ABCs and 123s already. I'm like are you kidding me?!?!

I did recently buy some more word books to try to enhance her vocabularly but being 8 months pregnant, exhausted all the time, and trying to get everything ready for the new baby I'm not sure how aggressive I'll be with that. Plus I've been sick for the past month and in and out of the hospital and doctor's office so I've been dealing with that instead of reading to her like I should.

And I'm not even going to attempt potty training right now!!
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #16
hauser
Registered Users
seller

She sounds fine. Just read to her a lot and let her do the rest. I think some children are ready to do ABC's and 123's at 2, but some of it is parents pushing and pushing!! My oldest at 3.5 has a huge vocab, is very chatty, and super vivid imagination. He doesn't know all of this ABC's-123's. I don't think that has much to do with talking. Plus there is a difference in saying those things, and actualy understanding them.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
Mommy2Cadence
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was actually thinking of the same thing for my dd. She is almost 21m and says maybe about 20 words, she has been picking up quicker though.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #18
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah! Einstein didnt speak until he was 5yrs all.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was 2 before he ever started saying anything. He just grunted. Every once in a while when he thought that no one was listening he would say dog, or ball, or plane, but that was it.
He will be 3 in 4 weeks and he talks non stop now.

He just had to go at his own pace. The Ped said that if he wasnt talking by age 3 then she would put him in speech therapy, but he is fine now.
He still has problems with certain words and letters, but he talks clear, know s that he is saying, and says somehting new everyday.