Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
smdenu
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sleep

My dd is 4 weeks old and she is sleeping around 4-5 hours between feedings. Is this considered normal/good?? I am just dying to have a full nights rest!

Advertisement

smdenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep

As a general rule, I wouldn't let her do that during the daytime. I usually didn't let mine go more than 3 hours between feedings during the day even if I had to wake them. But, at night, I let them sleep as long as they would. To me, I actually think this helps to teach them the difference between day and night and helps them learn night time is for sleeping. All of mine slept through the night (8hrs, no waking) at 10-11 wks. Enjoy it at night and try to sleep the entire time! I used to time it so that I would finish feeding and put the babies down after I was ready for bed and I would hop right in bed and sleep the entire time.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Exactly what pp (heatherlovesCDs) said. 3 hour schedule from 7 am to 10pm. I did my nighttime ritual from 9 ish until 10, fed and hopped in bed. Slept straight through until 630 or 7 by 10 weeks for both my boys. We always made sure we did some waketime after each daytime feeding too so they were tired for nighttime.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nice. DD is almost 1 and still not sleeping that long at a stretch! Sounds like you're very lucky.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
SMML
Registered Users
seller

For the first couple of weeks I woke him up every 3-4 hr at nite. After that point I felt comfortable with my supply so I let him dictate the schedule (which was 4-5 hrs at nite b/w feedings). I also used to feel that DS had to eat a "full" meal at the nite feedings or he'd be waking me up even sooner - that meant that I'd struggle to wake him up when he'd fall asleep after just a few minutes of eating. Then he'd eat and be awake and so getting him back to sleep became the next challenge. Now if he does wake up earlier than time for me to get up I let him nurse till he falls asleep and go back to sleep myself - much easier arrangement. Both of us have been much happier since letting him run the show.

DS is now 8 weeks old. He's been sleeping from about 9/10 pm to 4:30/5:30 am for four nites in a row now. My goal is to go to bed when he does so I get the full nite's sleep, especially since I started back to work today but I don't usually make it until about an hour after he's down.

Qualifier - I still sometimes need to 'work' to get him to eat a full meal during the day/early evening hours since my milk must contain some sort of drug that often knocks him out ofter 5 min, once I get him back awake (usually just takes laying him down - out of my arms - since he's not really sleepy) he eats till full and is ready for some play time.

Enjoy your sleep!!
SMML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
fuzzycakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
As a general rule, I wouldn't let her do that during the daytime. I usually didn't let mine go more than 3 hours between feedings during the day even if I had to wake them. But, at night, I let them sleep as long as they would. To me, I actually think this helps to teach them the difference between day and night and helps them learn night time is for sleeping. All of mine slept through the night (8hrs, no waking) at 10-11 wks. Enjoy it at night and try to sleep the entire time! I used to time it so that I would finish feeding and put the babies down after I was ready for bed and I would hop right in bed and sleep the entire time.
! especially if their weightgain is good/tremendous, there is no need to wake a sleeping baby (at night anyway!)
~Rebecca~ mamma to DS#1 Emmett (10/26/06) , DS#2 Henry (6/2/08) , and DS#3 Calvin (9/17/09)
fuzzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
Nice. DD is almost 1 and still not sleeping that long at a stretch! Sounds like you're very lucky.

My DD just started waking up once a night! Consider yourself lucky!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
But, at night, I let them sleep as long as they would. To me, I actually think this helps to teach them the difference between day and night and helps them learn night time is for sleeping. All of mine slept through the night (8hrs, no waking) at 10-11 wks.

Yep, same thing here with youngest. He sleeps 8-10 hours a night, with decent naps during the day.

And he's 15lbs at 4 months old, so he's not exactly starving either.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
SamanthaE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 12 week old that is sleeping between 5-8 hours at night. She has been doing that since about 6 weeks. She cluster feeds at night right before bed to fill herself up.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
mamamidwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds really awesome!! I don't know of any babes that are sleeping that good of a stretch at 4 weeks old! Consider yourself very lucky.....most mamas I know are getting around 2 hours (at the most) at a pop at that age.

My LO's were eating about every 2 hours at that age, which got me 45 minute stretches of sleep once I fed them, changed them, put them back to sleep, and then slept until they woke up hungry again.

Congrats on your new little babe!
mamamidwife is offline   Reply With Quote