Occasionally 59 32.42%
A few times a month 11 6.04%
Weekly 13 7.14%
3-7 times a week 7 3.85%
When I drink I always pump and dump 6 3.30%
When I drink I never pump and dump 89 48.90%
other...please share! 12 6.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and drinking

Everyone seems to have a different view on the subject. What is your experience? Do you drink and breastfeed?

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and drinking

I will taste things or have a little sip here and there, not really ever a whole drink to myself. It's not that I am adamantly against a mom have one drink with dinner or something, but I personally feel too guilty to do it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I drink, I usually do it after she goes down for the night. But it's rare that I drink. I didn't have a drink until she was a bit older and really going down for a few hours at night.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Audred12
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Katherine* View Post
If I drink, I usually do it after she goes down for the night. But it's rare that I drink. I didn't have a drink until she was a bit older and really going down for a few hours at night.
Me too, now that she is sleeping for four-eight hours straight, I know my body will have plenty of time to metabolize a glass of wine. And, I read that pumping and dumping is futile because your body just needs time to metabolize alcohol and once it has there is not more alcohol in your bm, just like there's no more alcohol in your bloodstream.
Audred12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
kindacrunchy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feed him first, put him down for a nap and then have one drink. As long as I don't have more than one, it's out of my system by the time he wakes up. My kid usually naps for 3-4 hours.

Wesley David - born May 19, 2008.
kindacrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
zoies mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was told by my lactation consultant that alcohol does not get stored in breast milk, that once it is out of your blood stream, it's out of your milk. Therefore no need to pump and dump. She said she felt that if more women knew that, it would emphasize the fact that long term bf'ing CAN fit into more Mamas life. Of course that doesn't mean get drunk, or do it every day, but I feel an occasional drink after DD goes down for the night, or a glass of wine with dinner, when DD won't be nursing for a while, is fine. Just my
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Monzie
Registered Users

Funny you should ask because at the moment, I am finishing a bottle of hard cider.

I rarely drink (it will take me a month to finish the six pack of ciders I bought) and when I do, its usually just one and I have it with my dinner...which is a good 3 to 4 hours before I'll need to nurse again. So no, I don't feel that its necessary pump and dump.

Kellymom has some great info about alcohol and bf'ing here.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I am not nursing at the moment - but when I was I had maybe a handful of drinks in the 16 mo. I nursed DD and I'd wait until she was down for several hours at night, or I'd pump before hand (like if DH and I were going out to dinner I'd leave a bottle for her and have extra), but I never drank to the point where I was drunk or anything like that. So, I never pumped and dumped.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm an occasional drinker, and I never pump & dump...as per my LLL guidelines (for occasional drinkers...I'm not a big drinker!). I try to nurse right before I have a drink. Then, if I were to have more than 3 drinks (which never happens with me) I would dump. But I don't drink enough.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Katherine* View Post
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audred12 View Post
Me too, now that she is sleeping for four-eight hours straight, I know my body will have plenty of time to metabolize a glass of wine. And, I read that pumping and dumping is futile because your body just needs time to metabolize alcohol and once it has there is not more alcohol in your bm, just like there's no more alcohol in your bloodstream.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoies mom View Post
I was told by my lactation consultant that alcohol does not get stored in breast milk, that once it is out of your blood stream, it's out of your milk. Therefore no need to pump and dump. She said she felt that if more women knew that, it would emphasize the fact that long term bf'ing CAN fit into more Mamas life. Of course that doesn't mean get drunk, or do it every day, but I feel an occasional drink after DD goes down for the night, or a glass of wine with dinner, when DD won't be nursing for a while, is fine. Just my
and this

Ive never pumped and dumped. I drink only when DH is in town, (never when on my own with the kids!) so its either weekly or occasionally. DH and I got out at least once a week for drinks or dinner when hes in town. I'll have a couple margaritas, mojitos or 3-4 coronas max (either or not all at once). I also don't go out and binge drink or get totally plastered, although I am a cheap date

Last edited by mom2LBJ; 08-02-2008 at 07:56 PM.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote