Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just when I finally made it this far...

Don't give in yet! Deffinatly try getting your supply up first! Also, I don't see why such a HUGE fuss over 2lbs in 2 months either!
If you haven't already, I would highly sugest posting for help on MDC. Even if you don't like the place (I know some people hate it, though I love it, lol) there a MANY extremely knowlegable people there when it comes to BFing (esp. regarding problems).
Good luck!

~Kelsie

Advertisement

soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #12
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

To me it doesn't sound like a supply issue but i could be wrong, with my oldest we started supplementing because she lost weight, come to find out years later, it had to do with not getting enough hindmilk, because thats what has the fat calories. Maybe start her feeding on one side for as long as possible so she can get as much hind milk as possiible to help her gain. Good luck, sounds like you are doing great. Don't give up!!
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

My daughter lost weight around the age and still at 13 months has not gained a full pound in about 4 months. My doctor still tells me I am doing a great job by breastfeeding. For my daughter she was getting more active crawling around and stuff and burning more calories. As long as she is peeing like she should and is healthy don't worry about it and I wouldnt supplement just to please the doctor.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #14
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemomto3 View Post
To me it doesn't sound like a supply issue but i could be wrong, with my oldest we started supplementing because she lost weight, come to find out years later, it had to do with not getting enough hindmilk, because thats what has the fat calories. Maybe start her feeding on one side for as long as possible so she can get as much hind milk as possiible to help her gain. Good luck, sounds like you are doing great. Don't give up!!
I agree w/ that. Maybe try blockfeeding. Feed on one breast for 2 feedings then switch to the other. And if you are having supply issues pump while she is nursing so block feeding doesn't affect your supply

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #15
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

everyone has given you great advice, i just wanted to add that one week is not long enough, imo, to check weight gain in a baby that age. they are not growing as fast as a newborn, so they won't be putting on weight as fast. when i was taking mine in for checks the dr said to wait at least 2 weeks. can you do that? remember, you have to do what you believe is best, the dr does not know your baby the way you do--heck, nobody does! mama instincts are always right! trust yourself!!!

and congrats on making it to 9 months!!
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd had weight issues that age. We started going for monthly weight checks around 7 months, and her weight chart was basically a straight line from around 3 months until 16 months. When she was nine months I remember talking with the pediatrician about whether she needed to nurse more. When he found out how often she was nursing, he felt that she might be nursing too often, and not getting hind milk. It didn't end up making a difference in dd's weight, and at 11 months it was recommended to us that I wean her. I didn't end up weaning her then, but only because she refused to drink from a bottle or sippy cup.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #17
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdink View Post
If you're having supply issues, I would try to work on that first to see if it helps. I wouldn't jump into supplementing right away because that will only make a supply issue worse. And what does she know about CDing to know that you can't tell how much they go. That makes no sense. I can tell more now how much my DS goes than when he was in sposies. Have you had issues with this pedi before? If it comes to it, you have to do what is best for your daughter and if that means formula, so be it. But give it a week and really take care of yourself and do whatever you can think of to boost that suppy. Good luck!
Totally agree mama!!!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #18
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

OKay, here's what I decided on. I'm going to add an extra meal every day for her but since I can't pump anymore to add breastmilk to her oatmeal and other veggies, I'm going to add a scoop of formula in with that stuff and certain veggies. And I'm going to breastfeed before and after the new solid feeding and pump around it too.

The only thing is that she gets constipated every time I try to add a second solid feeding...should I be trying to convince her to take water?? I HIGHLY disagree with juice.

And for the height question, she has grown 4 inches in the last 3 months. She is 29 1/2 inches tall (19 at birth)...they say they should grow about an inch a month at first...and she's grown 10 1/2 inches in 9 months...so she's doing good on that level.

I used to mix all her cereal and foods with breastmilk but I just can't pump enough for that anymore.

I know she is getting plenty of hindmilk because my hindmilk comes almost immediatly after I stop "feeling" letdown. BUT she is a 5 min nurser, after that she is way to ansty to get down.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and I should add, giving her an extra meal did NOT make her any happier!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #20
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdink View Post
If you're having supply issues, I would try to work on that first to see if it helps. I wouldn't jump into supplementing right away because that will only make a supply issue worse. And what does she know about CDing to know that you can't tell how much they go. That makes no sense. I can tell more now how much my DS goes than when he was in sposies. Have you had issues with this pedi before? If it comes to it, you have to do what is best for your daughter and if that means formula, so be it. But give it a week and really take care of yourself and do whatever you can think of to boost that suppy. Good luck!
Actually this ped recomended that I start CD because of DD's labial adhesion, she also said that she cloth diapered her children. I have never had a problem with this ped, I had a problem with her replacement ped when she switched clinics, so I found out what clinic she switched to and moved there.

I think she pees a lot but I do agree that her pee STINKS horribly. But on another note, I have never been able to put a fitted on her w/out a cover because she would leak through immediatly and now she can wear a fitted for an hour or two before she leaks through it.