Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
dmagsam
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Pediatrician Consult

For those of you who have adopted, did you consult with a pediatrician as the adoption got closer? I wanted to--especially now that the due date is a few weeks away and things are looking like a "go." Also considering that the baby will be born several hours away so I obviously need to choose a pediatrician here beforehand. I got recommendations from friends and one friend, who has been a nicu nurse, recommended two doctors at the same pediatrics office very near our house--which I thought would be great. However, when I called to schedule a consultation today I was told that they "dont' do that" and that I would need to wait until we have the baby to make an appointment. So now what? I have some questions to ask and I would really like to meet and be comfortable with our child's doctor before the 2 week check-up. I want to follow an alternate vaccine schedule (but still vaccinate) and use donor breast milk to feed the baby and want to make sure that the dr. we use is okay with those things. What would you do? Is it important enough to try other doctors that haven't been highly recommended? I am definitely "turned off" and somewhat skeptical of whether my needs will be met at that particular clinic & with those doctors now.

Advertisement

dmagsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
seahawk
Registered Users

Re: Pediatrician Consult

Well, I have not adopted, but I would not trust a doctor that refused to meet first. I went to several doctors before I had my baby and asked tons of questions. I did have to pay a charge at a couple of them, but I didn't think that was unreasonable as I was taking up their time. You should know how they practice before you have the baby, imo.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

That is rediculous...most pregnant women go "interview" their future peds so a "paper pregnant" mom-to-be should be no different. ooooohhhh- that actually makes me angry! I would absolutely go to check out other peds because any pediatricians office should be open about their practices/beliefs/etc. We have some "different" parenting practices (DS eats mostly vegan but does use dairy based formula, we have to get special notes for him to be on a "special" diet and use CD's at daycare...) We are adopting from Ethiopia and we also wanted a doc that had experience dealing with some of the medical issues that we were told they may see (many American docs don't have experience with some of that stuff...) It was very important to me to have a pretty crunchy ped so I totally understand.

We are lucky, my DS' ped is part of a children's hospital group and they have an adoption nurse/doctor who assists with medical consults/reviews information, etc. and then they help you will picking your ped, etc. We are also Navy and the Navy has the same program. Maybe talk to a local AP parenting group for recommendations?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
curlie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
Well, I have not adopted, but I would not trust a doctor that refused to meet first. I went to several doctors before I had my baby and asked tons of questions. I did have to pay a charge at a couple of them, but I didn't think that was unreasonable as I was taking up their time. You should know how they practice before you have the baby, imo.
curlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:

We interviewed peds before bringing our DD home. I wanted to be sure we chose someone who was familiar with international adoption issues. We struck gold with our current ped.
I would definately not go to an office where your opinion is already soured. It is hard to find a ped that you gel with and that interview process really helps to keep you from hunting after baby is here.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My peds office actually doesn't "do interviews" either. They are very large, busy practice with 5-10 peditricians in the office at any one time. In 18 months we have only had 1 doctor twice the rest of the time we have seen a different doctor each time. I often wonder how the Dr. Offices bill for "interviews or consults" because of insurance purposes your child isn't on your insurance yet?

Last edited by Kimmyann; 08-27-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
mom55
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with all that has been written. Listen to your friends recommendations, but make your own informed decision first. An interview beforehand is not an unreasonable request!
mom55 is offline   Reply With Quote