Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #21
jleelady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: dr bronners recipes

This was my first week using Dr. Bronner's. I bought the liquid with lavender. My dh joked all week about my "hippie soap" but he showered with it everyday. (He has dry skin) I also used it in my Swiffer Wet Jet with a little vinegar, next time I'll add a little TTO. (Bought washable Wet Jet pad from All Things Cloth. LOVED IT) Used it in my foaming soap pump which I also let my girls use in the shower. I'm also going to use it for my cloth wipe solution this time. Lovin' the idea of not having to BUY all those things individually anymore. Just thinking of the money saved by NOT buying everyone their own bodywash, different cleaners, etc... not to mention lots of those are in containers that are not recyclable in this area anyway. Plus it's less consuming and buying from a company that sure, looks a little nutty from the label, but is getting it totally right from an ecological sense...plus I'm a sucker for lavender scent.

Anyone have suggestions for other conditioner to use with it as a shampoo?

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
MamaMaeve
Registered Users

I buy it by the gallon! There are a lot of things I use it for when I run out of the other product - brushing teeth (no joke), washing dishes, laundry. I tried it as shampoo, which worked great when my hair was longer but not so much now. I use it as body soap, and the only part that ever feels dry to me is my hands so I use a goat milk lotion I like a lot. I dilute it in a spray bottle and use it to clean everything and leave it smelling like peppermint - mirrors, surfaces, floor, etc. I usually use bon ami as a soft scrub cleaser, but now I'm going to try baking soda and Dr b - thanks!

A question about Dr b wipes solution - do you rinse the baby after using it?

Also, a friend gave me a bottle of unscented Dr B labeled "baby safe" to use on baby. I use Weleda body wash, but it's nice to know they have one with baby in mind.

I've always been reluctant to use vinegar to clean because everyone I've ever lived with complains about the smell (and they're more likely to be the ones mopping!)- does using Dr B and TTO cut the smell? I think I'm going to make a vinegar disenfectant this summer by steeping thyme, rosemary, sage, and lavender in white vinegar - hoping this will also cut the smell.

Last edited by MamaMaeve; 05-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.
MamaMaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
MamaMaeve
Registered Users

Ps you can reuse the bottle a gazillion times
Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #24
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyleanne View Post
i use it to mop my floors.
stacey
It's leaving a filmy residue on my floors, even when I rinse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoki3 View Post
Dr B liquid plus baking soda is my favorite "soft scrub" cleanser. Works great on a bathtub ring or really dirty hands.
That also makes the most wonderful facial cleanser in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne View Post
bumping.. I just bought some of the smaller bottles of lavender, tea tree and orange. I found the tiny trial size at Target the other day and have been using it as hair/body wash and really like it.
I grabbed a couple of those at Target today too, to have to put in various places throughout the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMaeve View Post
I've always been reluctant to use vinegar to clean because everyone I've ever lived with complains about the smell (and they're more likely to be the ones mopping!)- does using Dr B and TTO cut the smell? I think I'm going to make a vinegar disenfectant this summer by steeping thyme, rosemary, sage, and lavender in white vinegar - hoping this will also cut the smell.
The smell of vinegar evaporates very quickly since it is 100 percent natural. I don't get people saying they can't take the smell. It's a very clear and fresh smell although strong. Anyway, adding TTO and castile soap to it does change the smell a bit. That makes a wonderful disinfectant too.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #25
MamaMaeve
Registered Users

The smell never bothered me either - but if I don't want to do the mopping then I can't be too picky! I'll try some gentle persiasion

If you use it on your floors, I think you have to dilute it a lot. Another cleanser I have used is citrosolve (orange peel) and that works great for floors too
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
jleelady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I just used abpit 1/2 teaspoon or so of Dr. B's for about 7 oz. of water in my spray bottle for my wipes solution. It works great. Oddly enough, we just went through a rough bout of yeast diaper rash- and changing from my former wipe solution to the Dr. B's seemed to make a big difference!

I'm a little afraid to keep my wipes in the solution anymore as I'm not sure if that was contributing to our yeast issue or not. But when I buy some TTO, I'll add a couple drops of that as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #27
aufrog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I buy it by the gallon! There are a lot of things I use it for when I run out of the other product - brushing teeth (no joke), washing dishes, laundry. I tried it as shampoo, which worked great when my hair was longer but not so much now. I use it as body soap, and the only part that ever feels dry to me is my hands so I use a goat milk lotion I like a lot. I dilute it in a spray bottle and use it to clean everything and leave it smelling like peppermint - mirrors, surfaces, floor, etc. I usually use bon ami as a soft scrub cleaser, but now I'm going to try baking soda and Dr b - thanks!

Also, a friend gave me a bottle of unscented Dr B labeled "baby safe" to use on baby. I use Weleda body wash, but it's nice to know they have one with baby in mind.

do you use the unscented one for dishes or do you use the scented ones? Do the scented ones leave a smell to the dishes?

Also as far as a disenfectant cleaner goes, what's your recipe? How much dr b's to TTO and vinegar.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I use DB's for shampoo (very diluted; never any residue issues; I have very fine hair), soap in my foamers, and dishwasher fluid.

I never thought of washing the floor or using it with baking soda as a scrubber. I'll have to try those.

Happy to hear any new recipe ideas.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #29
MamaCarina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne View Post
bumping.. I just bought some of the smaller bottles of lavender, tea tree and orange. I found the tiny trial size at Target the other day and have been using it as hair/body wash and really like it.

So, anyone else got tips on how they use theirs?

I am going to start using it for wipey solution. 1tsp with 2qt of water or so and a couple drops of TTO.
When I tried to us it for wipey solution it dried out their skin, but maybe I didn't dilute it enough. I thought it would great for that.
MamaCarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #30
aprice522
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BABY WIPE SOLUTION:

I use the foamers reused from Bath and Body works, large size and put just about 1.5 inch of Bronners (orange) in the bottom and filled the rest with distilled water and mixed it.

It is perfect for washing hands lightly and doesn't feel too heavy when using it on the bottom....but sometimes I still follow with a wet wash wipe to finish off anyways...just because I have my changing pad on my dryer, right next to the sink in my bath and it is easy that way.

AS SHAMPOO:

I don't acutally use shampoo, but am a baking soda -- no"pooer" and as I have researched about natural beauty and health I have read that if you use a soap on your hair (such as Castile aka Bronners) it is akline and you need to balance the PH of your hair by following with an acidic rinse--such as vineager or lemon or lime juice in water...1T juice to 1c water and rinse rinse afterwards. I do a apple cidar vinager rinse after washing with baking soda for the same reason and it really does nice things for your hair!