Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
lilerthquakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tips for pureeing meat?

Anyone have any tips they'd like to share for pureeing meat?? Oh, and freezing it? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Kririee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: tips for pureeing meat?

Make sure it is really cooked down very soft (like boiled chicken) and then blend the heck out of it, I will thin and smooth it down with either a veggie/beef/chicken stock or water. Depending on age you could use milk also. Freezing has never worked for me it always got grainy and Ds will refuse it. Try the Super baby food book has some great recipe ideas in it

OPEN NOW!!!!!
Kririee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
edennperez1
Registered Users

My Mood:

I LOVE the Superbaby Food book, but I haven't found any recipes for red meat. I'll look again though. In general, she's not an advocate of eating meat. Anyone else have ideas for cooking red meat? I think that's what the OP meant. Or maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kririee View Post
Make sure it is really cooked down very soft (like boiled chicken) and then blend the heck out of it, I will thin and smooth it down with either a veggie/beef/chicken stock or water. Depending on age you could use milk also. Freezing has never worked for me it always got grainy and Ds will refuse it. Try the Super baby food book has some great recipe ideas in it
edennperez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
lilerthquakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies. I actually meant any kind of meat, not just red meat. I was a vegetarian most of my life until my last pregnancy. I've never been able to really cook meat... so I'm so scared to cook meat for my lo. My husband cooks the meat around here so he will have to help me. I really know nothing about cooking it.
If you can't freeze it, how long is it ok to leave it in the fridge? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
edennperez1
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ah, ok! Sorry 'bout that.

I give DS chicken. I cover skinless organic chicken breast with water in a pot and then bring it to a boil. It takes maybe 30 minutes? Don't quote me. You'll know it's done when it's all white through the middle. Then I cut it up and put it in the blender with some of the water that I used to cook it --- helps maintain the flavor. Blend the chicken by itself first to a powder. Then add water and blend some more. You can freeze it with the ice cube method or in little freezer-friendly containers. I do this and it works just fine. It can be a little like plaster until you mix it with carrots. If you mix it with pureed carrots, pureed white potatoes and maybe some peas then it's like having chicken noodle soup!! But it's important to mix it with something because it doesn't have much juice to it. Anyway, DS seems to like it.

You can also do this with skinless turkey breasts.

I have never tried red meat and am waiting for someone to tell me how. Not sure I'll do it because we don't eat that much red meat. And I wouldn't want him to like it better than white meat chicken.

OK, hope that helps!
Take care,
Edenn
edennperez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Robbie's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi there, I just wanted to post a couple recipes I have for red meat (both ground beef and tender beef). The first one I have is a Beef and Vegetable dinner, with 1 pound of tender beef, cut into 1" cubes; 2 1/4 cups water; 1 stalk of celery (I didn't use celery because my LO hasn't had celery); 3 carrots peeled and diced; 2 med potatoes peeled and chopped and 1 tbsp minced onion (again, I didn't use...). Then you place the beef and water into a saucepan and simmer for 45 minutes. Add vegetables and cook for another 35-40 minutes or until tender. Use a food processor, baby food grinder or simply dice the meat finely and mash the vegetables with the liquid.
The other recipe I have is Meat with Potatoes and Tomatoes. 1/2 a pound of ground beef (you could always use ground turkey as well...), 1 cup diced tomatoes, and 1 cooked sweet potato. Brown the meat in pan for 5 minutes until cooked (absolutely NO red). Add tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove potato skin and discard. Mash potato and add to pan. Stir together and cook for another 10 minutes. Then I just use a hand blender to get rid of the big chunks, to make it lumpy.
For both of these recipes I have put them in ice cube trays for the freezer. They should last in the freezer for at LEAST a month, depending on the type of freezer.
Hope that helps!
Robbie's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
lilerthquakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! Now I don't feel so intimidated... will give it a try soon.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Kririee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the freezing tips I will try again it never worked for me before so I just make small amounts of meat meals and use it all up. We use ice cube trays and the baby cubes!

OPEN NOW!!!!!
Kririee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
classicgirl29
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks for starting this thread! i was just talking about this topic today at dinner.

SAHM to sweet baby Oliver (11.15.2007)
and proud

and just because i love to
classicgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

The last time I made a pot roast, here's what I did:

The meat was already super-tender from being in the crock pot all day. I boiled some carrots, then drained them, reserving the water. I mixed the carrots and beef together then used an immersion blender to blend them up together. I kept adding the carrot-water until it was smooth and a thin enough consistency. I froze it in ice-cube trays.

When she's ready to eat it, I microwave it for 1:30. I stir it really well, and always check the spoon before each bite to make sure I didn't miss any "chunks." No chunks so far

I've also boiled chicken, peas, & brown rice together then blended it with the immersion blender as well.

I haven't tried freezing meat alone. I always put it with veggies & water.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote