Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Is This Abnormal/Unhealthy on my Part? Sad about my Baby Getting Older...

I don't know if this means that there's something "wrong" with me. Has anyone else experienced this?

I find myself brought to tears every time I think about how big my daughter is getting. Yesterday, I put my DD in her swing and realized she's almost too big for it, and then immediately after that, I realized that the 6-9 month clothes she's been wearing (she's only 5 months!) are getting too small.

I started BAWLING to my DH, telling him that it was all happening too fast and that I'm not ready for her to be a big baby yet. I mean... She was just born a few DAYS ago, it seems like. I can't handle it!

Is this abnormal? I am struggling with PPD as well as a whole mess of other psych problems. I'm really happy that we have such a healthy baby, but why do I also feel upset about her growing so fast?

Anyone else feel this way, or is there something wrong with me?

When I was pregnant, I thought I was going to kill the next person who told me that "They grow up so fast." But, darn... It's true, isn't it?

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is This Abnormal/Unhealthy on my Part? Sad about my Baby Getting Older...

totally normal mama. It is hard to think that they are only little for such a short time and if I dwell on it too much I totally freak out and cry.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Normal if you ask me. I have been crying because my 'baby' will be 5 in November and is starting preschool on Wednesday. I have cried off and on about things through her whole life. Same thing with this one now! I was crying because I was doing the size up sort and I just could not believe that my babies are growing up on what seems like fast forward. Plenty 'O tears over here yesterday!
I have been very weepy these past few days... I think it's the school thing and that my oeriod is supposed to be here Monday on our orientation day too.
Why can't the dads of these kids understand this? My husband looks at me like I'm nuts when I get all weepy. He'll hug me and rub my back, but he just doesn't get it.

Sorry for the hijack, I just get how you are feeling and it is just a normal part of parenting in my opinion.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mamas. I'm probably going to be inconsolable when my DD's old enough for preschool.

We've been talking about the possibility of introducing solids soon, and that upset me sooo much! I told my DH I'll probably want to EBF her til she's ten because I don't want to admit that she's getting older!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Totally completely normal. And it only gets worse. Sometimes I look at my 3 year old and I just wanna cry because she's growing up way too fast.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Lizp86
Registered Users formerly:grayelizabeth06
seller
seller

My Mood:

So normal, I look at my son and think wasn't it just yesterday we were coming home from the hospital. My friend called me crying about her daughter growing up a few weeks ago, when she realized that her daughter's first birthday was a few weeks away. So completely normal.
Liz
Lizp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Oceanwaveshimd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its totally normal, mama. I had a really hard time on DS first birthday. I had to pull myself together for the party in fact LOL
Old 08-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. I do/did the same thing. Mine are 3 and 21 months and I still cry about them getting older. I still cry wishing they were newborn again. It's normal. You love your dd. You love her being a baby. I think that is healthy.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally normal. I also had a very difficult time starting solid foods, although I knew she was ready and pulling everything off my plate! It was the first step of growing up and not being totally dependent on me.
My favorite thing to do when I am feeling like that is to take DD in my arms, put on some great music (no kids music!) and dance and twirl and snuggle and jump. Makes DD and I feel great and so connected. Everything goes away and it is just the two of us.

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me

Last edited by dpelephant; 08-22-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
jess&claire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

iam too having a hard time with the fact that dd will be a year in sept. iam getting carried away with her bday party and DH has to keep telling me that i have to slow down and take it easy that it okay if she gets bigger, but i still cry when she walks into a room. it's so cute and so sad at the same time. lovely mama hormons huh.

Last edited by jess&claire; 08-22-2008 at 10:33 AM.
jess&claire is offline   Reply With Quote