Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's the deal with strollers being bad?

I wish more people knew about babywearing for their newborns. I can see how beneficial that would be. I am always perplexed by people carrying those heavy carseats around with their babies in them. That can not be comfortable to carry.

However, a stroller and a baby carrier serve different purposes and there's a time and place for each. Personally, I couldn't live without my strollers, especially now that my kids are bigger. They love the stroller and going for walks in it.

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
dragynflye
Banned

My Mood:

i don't like strollers (at this age, at least) because wearing her is simply more convenient! i do feel sorry for the mommas when i see her trying to get a huge ole stroller through some little tiny opening, and i do get irritated when i have to take the next elevator because the lady with the stroller shoves past me and takes up the entire space. and i do get ANGRY when i see some idiot leave their poor baby in a stroller on a crowded street, or in a busy store, and WALK AWAY! i don't care if you're six feet away, it only takes a second for some one to snag your baby and run!

so i guess i don't have a problem at all with strollers, but with inconsideration and stupidity! i betcha we'll have a stroller when ariana gets older and bigger, i can definitely see the use for them, but i can guarantee you, my hand will never be off the thing!!
dragynflye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #23
ambivalent_amy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a hard-core BWer, but my only issues with strollers is when people take them to super-crowded places and inconvenience others because they are in the way. For example, I think strollers should be banned at the Farmer's Market. The space is too small and it's so crowded and then some woman comes pushing through with a huge travel system with a tiny little baby in it. Get a wrap, for crying out loud. It's a pain to everyone else and it can't be easy for the poor woman to be pushing that thing around in that crowd.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #24
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think people are being a little silly when they are against strollers! I hate the holier than thou attitude that some people put on.

I use both the stroller and a mei tai. I prefer to strap him on and carry him around but sometimes it is not in the best interest to do so. How do you go shopping for new clothes with nothing to put your child in? Or go out for a long period of time where you aren't at someone's house and just walking around? (amusement park, fairs, malls... whathaveyou) He loves being carried but when he is cranky and wants to sleep it just isn't as comfortable for him now as it was when he was younger. The stroller takes care of that!

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just don't like them. I wear my youngest and my oldest walks next to me (well now my youngest 2.5yrs likes to walk too) My kids are 18months apart and I have only used a stroller once for like a few mins in the last 4yrs. It is just easier to wear them (at malls, Six Flags, stores, etc) and I love having my baby right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyAndCheyMommy View Post
I could never afford an carrier that would fit my kids and I (besides they don't make those for us moms that have huge boobs)...
I am big chested and have 3 different carriers and wear them very comfy, none were expensive either.

Last edited by Calideedle; 08-23-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyAndCheyMommy View Post
I could never afford an carrier that would fit my kids and I (besides they don't make those for us moms that have huge boobs)...
I'm not bashing you for your choice but I just wanted you to know that I have HUGE boobs and use a mei tai with longer straps. A WAHM made it for me (on ebay) and I think it was only $20. It lasted through one baby (for 2 yrs) and I'll be using it for our new baby. Mei tais and wraps would be a great choice for large breasted mamas!!

I use my stroller now and couldn't imagine going anywhere without it (my 3yo is a little wild when we are out) but I did wear him when he was smaller/lighter.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLil'Mountaineers View Post
I'm not bashing you for your choice but I just wanted you to know that I have HUGE boobs and use a mei tai with longer straps. A WAHM made it for me (on ebay) and I think it was only $20. It lasted through one baby (for 2 yrs) and I'll be using it for our new baby. Mei tais and wraps would be a great choice for large breasted mamas!!

I use my stroller now and couldn't imagine going anywhere without it (my 3yo is a little wild when we are out) but I did wear him when he was smaller/lighter.
I am another HUGE breasted babywearer who loves my mai tais! I also use ring slings, and SSCs too without an issue. I do use a stoller for my child care boy when we go on long outtings or walks so I am not anti stroller for certain situations.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #28
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Strollers and other baby gear like swings, detachable car seats, etc all contribute to the fact that many Western babies are held for a total of less than 2 hours a day! It is so sad, considering that babies and newborns in particular, need touch and closeness from their parents just as much as food and changing. Young babies in strollers especially are at a detriment because they face out and are forced to view the world in front of them without the option of burying the face in mom's shoulder when they are over stimulated. They don't have the security of being held by a parent while they take everything in, and many more babies will fuss and cry when put in the stroller than when put in a carrier. It is possible to abuse a stroller, but impossible to abuse a baby carrier. There's really no such thing as too much babywearing.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #29
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
Strollers and other baby gear like swings, detachable car seats, etc all contribute to the fact that many Western babies are held for a total of less than 2 hours a day! It is so sad, considering that babies and newborns in particular, need touch and closeness from their parents just as much as food and changing. Young babies in strollers especially are at a detriment because they face out and are forced to view the world in front of them without the option of burying the face in mom's shoulder when they are over stimulated. They don't have the security of being held by a parent while they take everything in, and many more babies will fuss and cry when put in the stroller than when put in a carrier. It is possible to abuse a stroller, but impossible to abuse a baby carrier. There's really no such thing as too much babywearing.
Agreed. It's not so much about if a baby is still getting attention, at a certain age it's just way more beneficial to be held. The warmth, the attention, and very true to the fact that they can bury in if they're over stimulated, the more you hold your baby in a day the better their development, and a stroller is another way that takes away from the amount of closeness in a day.

We do bring a stroller sometimes when we go out for long trips, but ds never rides in it, it's more just a bag holder . It's a joovy tandem, and once in a while if it's a lot of walking, my oldest son will get on and rest his legs a bit, but we don't use it much.

But that being said, I am pro-babywearing, but wouldn't judge another mama for using a stroller. I just personally don't like them, and don't think they have the same benefits as bwing.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #30
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I like our stroller.

I have 5 kids....I need a stroller. My first 2 kids were 12 months apart. My third and fourth babies are 21 months apart and my fourth and fifth are 16 months apart. For us it is a necessity. I cannot wear 2 kids at once and being in a big city, toddlers walking is not always safe.

I do carry my infants in an ergo etc. and so does DH. But the stroller is easier sometimes. I have cysts on my spine and can only babywear for short periods.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote