Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ahhhhhh!!!!

So, some of you read about my low supply issues with my twins and needing to supplement with my freezer stash and how upset I am about this. As I stated in that thread, I always pump before I go to bed and I get at least 1 feeding worth of milk that I count on for the next day. Well, last night was not different. I finished pumping around 12:30am. I went to bed. This morning, what does my DH find on the counter?! Yup, you guessed it, the EBM from last night. Somehow I set the pumped bottles down on the counter and forgot to put them in the fridge (lack of sleep in the middle of the night)! I almost started crying when he showed it to me. I am working so hard to get as much as I can and keep them on only BM for as long as possible and I leave some on the counter!!! How could I let that happen?! The crazy thing is my DH found it at 5am. That was only about 4.25-4.5 hours after I pumped it, missing the 4 hour widow of "safety for being out" by only 15-30 minutes. He didn't show it to me then. He went to the gym and showed it to me when he came home at 7:45am. I know it's not his fault and he didn't know, but I was annoyed because I would have put it in the fridge and maybe been able to use it. Urrr....I'm sure many of you can relate to losing our more precious than gold BM.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ahhhhhh!!!!

i know this waslast resort for me but it worked and i was at the point of pumping more then 10 oz at a time every 3 hours, maybe sooner cuz i felt so full... is the prescription from my OB. i can find the name out if your interested... hope you find somthing that works for you my dd was on EBM for 3 months after she stopped nursing. and this was the only thing that made my milk supply come back.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
smdenu
Registered Users

My Mood:

What is ebm??
smdenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
EsaQ
Registered Users
seller

Sorry mama, it's a horrible, sinking feeling in your gut. But if that's the first and only time it's happened, that's great. I wish I could say it won't happen again, but when you pump often, the chances increase. Just remember you're doing a great job and you're giving it your best. That's all you can do because as we all know...Sh*t happens. It's just not supposed to happen to hard working, overtired, devoted moms of twins trying to give their babies the best nutrition possible.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

Did you test it before you threw it out? I've left mine out overnight and we keep our house cool and it was still good. (I've heard 8 hours at room temp.)
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdenu View Post
What is ebm??
Expressed Breast Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom72 View Post
Did you test it before you threw it out? I've left mine out overnight and we keep our house cool and it was still good. (I've heard 8 hours at room temp.)
How do you test it??? I've always heard 4 hours. I reluctantly dumped it. If there is some way to test it to know if it's bad, that would be awesome!! This isn't the only time I've had something like this happen. Like pp said, with frequent pumping and a overly tired mom, things happen. This is just the first I've lost any since really really needing it and looking down the barrel of giving formula within a week.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
takasmom
Registered Users

i'm sooo sorry mama. esp. after all the supply issues you are having, to waste something so precious can feel AWFUL.

as for "testing" the bm--you should be able to smell if the milk has gone sour or your lo(s) would notice by the taste and not want it before you throw it out. if your house was not too hot overnight i might not go strictly by the clock if something like that happened but smell/taste first to check it.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
butter07
Registered Users
seller

I have used milk that has been at room temp @ 8 hrs. No ill effects, either. Sorry that happened to you!
butter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry mama! I know how it can happen! It happened to me more times then I care to remember.

You can test it by tasting it. If it tastes ok then its ok.

I cant throw BM out. I have to have someone else do it.