Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Fasting and BF

I have a question about fasting and BF. I am BF my 8 month old and I would like to start fasting and do this for about three weeks. The fasting diet is based on liquid intake only. Can I do this or will it have an impact on my BF. If you have any experience with fastening please help me.

Advertisement

Last edited by cedricsmom; 08-22-2008 at 09:28 AM.
cedricsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fastening and BF

I think you mean fasting : ) If you change the title, that may get you a few more responses because people know what you're talking about
Anyways...while I've heard of a few mommas that were able to do a liquid fast while nursing (such as the master cleanse) with no issues, its not really something I would risk. Not only are you getting in barely any calories at all for you OR baby, losing a lot of weight too fast can throw off your body's chemical balance...a rapid weight loss can not only affect the amount of your milk, but the consistency as well...you most likely would have very little fatty hind milk and mostly just the watery foremilk due to the extreme amount of fluid intake. Also, for the most part liquid fasting diets don't really help with weight loss in the long run. You lose a bunch of water weight at first, but as soon as you start eating solids again your body will cling to every little calorie and amount of fat you consume because it has essentially been in starvation mode for so long...most people end up gaining most, if not more, of the lost weight right back when they go off of the liquid fasting diet. Plus they can screw your metabolism up ten ways to Sunday.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I wouldn't do it. Not enough calories for both mama and child.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennamathis View Post
I think you mean fasting : ) If you change the title, that may get you a few more responses because people know what you're talking about
Anyways...while I've heard of a few mommas that were able to do a liquid fast while nursing (such as the master cleanse) with no issues, its not really something I would risk. Not only are you getting in barely any calories at all for you OR baby, losing a lot of weight too fast can throw off your body's chemical balance...a rapid weight loss can not only affect the amount of your milk, but the consistency as well...you most likely would have very little fatty hind milk and mostly just the watery foremilk due to the extreme amount of fluid intake. Also, for the most part liquid fasting diets don't really help with weight loss in the long run. You lose a bunch of water weight at first, but as soon as you start eating solids again your body will cling to every little calorie and amount of fat you consume because it has essentially been in starvation mode for so long...most people end up gaining most, if not more, of the lost weight right back when they go off of the liquid fasting diet. Plus they can screw your metabolism up ten ways to Sunday.

Thanks mama, it isn't about losing weight. I have done it before, before I was dregnant or BF and it made me feel really well, healthy and good. It gave me a lot of energie too. It is not a no calorie fast. You basically eat veggie broth and fruit liquids. But thanks for your help, maybe I wait till we are done BF (in a year or so...)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fasting and BF

Have you considered a raw foods diet? Pretty much just eating fresh fresh fruits and veggies...lots of water & fresh pressed juice...but no meat, pasta, processed foods, etc. My dad is big on the fasting diets to make him feel better, but he tried a raw foods diet after passing out while fasting once..he said its just like the fasting diet in how it makes you feel, but you don't get quite as weak during it because you're getting in more calories. lots of vegan mommas breastfeed, so this type of diet could work well for you and probably won't impact your supply as much.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
MizzuzHowell
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I would wait. Try to eat 100% raw foods if you want the best for your body. I have been waiting a long time to do a cleanse, pregnancy plus 2 years breastfeeding. I asked the lady at our health food store if she thought I could do a cleanse while I was still breastfeeding. My daughter is almost two and only nurses at bedtime. She said it was just too risky. When you fast or cleanse, all the stored toxins from your body are released into your bloodstream, which of course will be used to make milk. She said the risks to the child far outweighed any benefits to the mother.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

i wouldn't do it either..i am a huge supporter of fasting but your body tends to clean house when you are fasting and i wouldn't want that to get into my milk.. i have been waiting like 3 years to fast ! lol pg. bfing, pg bfing..
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #8
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nonono, fasting is not good, whether done for weight loss or just as a cleanse.

Because when you fast and when you cleanse it rids your body of toxins, right? But where do you think those toxins go? They go from where they're stored (fat cells) into your body, and then out of your body, but in the process of going into your body, it also dumps them in the milk you produce.

so you're basically giving your baby milk chock full of toxins, or you should be pumping and dumping for the entire 3 weeks.

Wait until your baby is done nursing, keep the toxins in your fat cells where they won't do your bub any harm.

And it sucks, I'm a regular detoxer and faster and I need a cleanse, but I looked up a lottt on this issue and decided against it, it's just not worth it if it's pretty much passing all my toxins, right into an immature body that can't deal with it as well as I can.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
brandislee
Registered Users
seller

yea, I would be worried about the released toxins getting into the milk, too. Wait until you're done BFing! I know how you feel, though. I've wanted to do a master cleanse this entire pregnancy! I just feel icky and my bowels (sorry, TMI) just aren't working right. But I know I have to wait another year or so before I can, so I'll live.

And I dispute that the weight doesn't stay off- I did a 3 day master cleanse (was supposed to be 10, but I don't have great will power) and lost 11 lbs. It was not water weight, because I was doing nothing but drinking- most of the weight is toxins and other crud that gets flushed out of your intestines and tissues. And you don't gain the weight back until that stuff reaccumulates, which took a while (at least for me). Then you do another cleanse. It's not a calorie thing, because the master cleanse provides you with pleanty of calories and nutrients (honestly, I never felt hungry- but I did miss the taste/feel of food in my mouth, which was why my will power failed) so you don't shock your body into the mode to cling to all it's calories. Just clarifying.
brandislee is offline   Reply With Quote