Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What is YOUR co-sleeping situation like?

I am interested to know how everybody else's co-sleeping works.
At my house it is like this:
The big two sleep in their own beds now, there is a doorway into their room directly from ours that is only covered by a sheet though... so it is pretty much the same room

As for Aiden (almost 7 months old) if he falls asleep before I am ready to go to bed I put him in his crib until he wakes for a nighttime feeding. If he is still awake when I am ready for bed, he just comes to bed with me.
Usually when he wakes for a feeding he stays in bed with me for the rest of the night.
Some mornings when DH comes in (he works nights) he will try to gently moves Aiden to his crib without waking him so we can have a little *fun* before all the kids wake up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
on nights that DH is off, Aiden tends to spend more time in our bed because DH goes to bed earlier than I normally do when he is not home and Aiden is not usually sleepy yet, so he sits up in the bed between us with a toy until he is ready to nurse and fall asleep!
So I guess you'd call us part-time co-sleeping at this point. All my kids have pretty much did it this way.
How does your co-sleeping work?

Advertisement

JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: What is YOUR co-sleeping situation like?

We aren't co-sleeping any more. But, when we did, we had an Arms Reach Mini co-sleeper set up next to my side of the bed. DS slept there happily until he outgrew it at four months old. At that point, I moved him into the crib in his nursery. But I made a bed for myself on the floor in there so I could sleep next to him for a week....just to make the transition from our bedroom a bit easier for him. In the end, he moved into his own bed without a peep of protest, so I think that the change was actually harder on me.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kearnan is 7 and has now moved to his own room. For the first week he came to our bed by 5Am, but now he just sleeps straight through, no problems. Every once in a while he fusses and I let him come back to bed with me though. Tharen is 2.5 and still in our bed. We have a king sized bed and it is dh, myself, Tharen and our 100lb bulldog Duke in the bed. Dh takes Tharen to bed about 30mins to an hour before I finally go to bed. Used to be several hours, but we are going to bed earlier and getting up earlier now that Kearnan will be going to school.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
tweetlebeetle
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our older daughter began going to bed in her room when she was 4. She came in and slept with us regularly until she was 6 1/2.

The baby goes to sleep in my bed, and my husband usually goes to bed a couple hours after her. I stay up later and move her to her crib when I go to bed. That's just happend in the last couple weeks. Before that, she had never slept in her crib at all.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

My son has always slept with us all night we have never owned a crib. We use to have a pack n play I think he slept in it twice for a nap.
My son is 3 now we have no plans of changing this anytime soon we all enjoy co-sleeping
Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

I cosleep from birth with my boys. I have an arm's reach but we only use it for diaper storage.

When DS1 was 18 months we moved him to a crib in our room because I was too big and pregnant to be comfortable with him, and i needed too many pillows to be safe. He has the rails off his crib and sleeps in our room, no bad transition or anything. He can stay there until he's ready to go to his own room.

Leif sleeps with me still, and when he's 1ish I will probably move BOTH boys to their room and see how that goes, but our door will always be open.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My girls--ages 11 and 5, sleep in their own beds in their room. My boys--ages 3 and almost 2--sleep in my bed with me (and dh, when he's home.)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both our boys are still co sleeping, but not all together I sleep with my 11 month old in my room. He goes to bed at around 8:30-9:00 every night, and I move him into his room. If he wakes up, I nurse him back to sleep, and then whenever I'm ready for bed I carry him in with me and he sleeps with me til morning. I have rails on the bed so he doesn't fall off. Before Theo we always let our 4 year old climb into bed with us, but there wasn't room for all of us in the one bed, so my 4 year old sleeps downstairs in his room with DH. That way even if there isn't a 'family bed', both our boys get the closeness of cosleeping.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
jollygoodANDgreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ours is ridiculous. The oldest 2 STILL sleep in the bed with us as well as DS who is 5months. Yep that's right 5 people in the bed! I'm so tired of balancing on my side on the edge of the bed while everyone else is snoring.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
igglebah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we tried co-sleeping with my dd, who is now 4, but she was extremely wiggly and seemed to want her own space. she slept in our room in a cradle and then a pack and play until she was about 7 mo, then we moved her to a crib in her room. but, when she was about 2 we transferred her to a toddler bed, she came to our bed every night for months and then slowly started staying in her room all night. she now comes to our room a couple of times a week.

our ds is completely different. he started out in a arm-reach cosleeper, but i felt that he was too far from me. he would cry and fidget unless my arm was around him in a snuggle. we "moved" him to a crib in his room when he was about 9 mo. we would lay him down when he went to bed but we'd bring him to our bed when ever he woke up. i was just too tired to sit in a chair and nurse him until he went back to sleep. plus, he still wants me to put my arm around him and snuggle him tight. which, of course i love.

we often wake up in the morning with both kids with us. i figure that they probably won't want to sleep with us forever and it is so great to start the day that way.

i say, do whatever feels right for your family.
igglebah is offline   Reply With Quote