Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
wjallen05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Evening Primerose Oil Success?

Who has had success with this?

If you missed my recent post, the reason I want to self-induce is because my doctor wants to induce me next week b/c of my previous placental abruption, and he doesn't want me going past 39 weeks. (I am 37 weeks 4 days today) at my appt last week, I was 2-3 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and the head is engaged.

Anyway, I went out and bought some (Primerose Oil capsols) today. Just wondering who has had success with them. I am really hoping to avoid being induced- am hoping for a VBAC this time and don't want to risk complications.

Advertisement

.Jamie. Wife to William & SAHM to: Taylor (7), Hayley (5), Hannah (4), William Jr (3); 5 hens, 4 goats, 3 dogs (2 Great Pyrenees & 1 Chihuahua), 3 hairless guinea pigs, 2 pet rats, 2 barn cats & 1 old horse.
www.hillwoodfarm.net
wjallen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evening Primerose Oil Success?

Well, maybe me. It very well could have been the EPO but who knows...

I was 6 days over when my DS was born. The night before (and this is probably TMI) I sent DH out for some that night he popped the capsules and actually massaged my cervix with the oil. I heard the oil directly onto the cervix was way more effective and I was too big to reach and do it myself.

The next morning I was in labor and he was born 8 hours later...

So, it could have been the EPO just giving me a little nudge or I was just ready...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
momto3girls
Registered Users
Formerly: tajsa
seller

My Mood:

I think it helped me go into labor. I took one orally and poked a hole in another pill and rubbed it up in my cervix. This was about 10:30pm and 4 hours later I was in labor. I was surprised. My dd still had 10 days to go. I was planning on having it soften my cervix, not put me in labor. I guess my body was ready.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

EPO only softens your cervix, it doesn't open it. I took it for the last three weeks of my pregnancy, both orally and vaginally, to soften my scar tissue. It didn't send me into labor.
hippydippymama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Ive known alot of people with major success using EPO.. From a friends experience who has taken it 3 times- with one- orally, the other just inserting capsules & the 3rd- using just the oil- she said.. Its even better )like faster acting) if you can poke a hole in the capsules when inserting vaginally or evening squeezing the oil in an applicator or (sterile brand new straw) and applying directly vaginally. Good Luck! **** GOOD LABOR VIBES****
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
EPO only softens your cervix, it doesn't open it. I took it for the last three weeks of my pregnancy, both orally and vaginally, to soften my scar tissue. It didn't send me into labor.
You have a great point- it isnt used to actually start contractions however- because of it being an excellent source of prostaglandins it does work wonders on the cervix & can make her "prelabor contractions" more productive in helping to ripen & open the cervix more effective.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote