Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
dragynflye
Banned

My Mood:
when does the burping stop?

so, at what point are babies able to burp on their own? ariana's five months old, and still needs a serious burping after every single bottle (and she's got some MANLY burps!), and frequently after she's nursed (but those are daintier burps!). just curious as to when that will no longer be necessary.

Advertisement

dragynflye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: when does the burping stop?

what happens if you just don't burp her after a feeding? Has she ever burped on her own?
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

well I suppose my gracie doesn't NEED to be burped after nursing at almost 8 months BUT we do it as a preventative to spit-up. i mean, we are talking projectile vomit. she still has a good deal of reflux and if we burp her preventatively after a feeding she will vomit all over the recieving blanket or towel instead of waiting 10 minutes and refluxing all over a new outfit or whatever. I mean, it happens anyway but that burping cuts down on the sheer volume of spit-up for us. but she can bring it up on her own if that's what you are asking. i dont' think the burp stops really. i think people just stop burping their babies once the babies stop fussing to be burped because they can do it by themselves. i mean, we burp sometimes too but it's because we do it on our own, not because we just stop having air bubbles in our bellies. ya know?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was always an easy burper. Basically, we just had to sit her up right and she'd let one go. She is still like this and in fact, whenever she's done drinking, it's like it comes out without any effort from her.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
dragynflye
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree View Post
what happens if you just don't burp her after a feeding? Has she ever burped on her own?

she'll occasionally burp on her own, but not usually. if i don't burp her well enough after nursing, she'll spit a bit and get fussy. if she's not burped well enough after a bottle, she will SCREAM and spew EVERYWHERE until her next feeding.

i was just curious when the pounding on the back (and with ariana, it is POUNDING!) stops. i know my husband will be very glad when it is no longer necessary, he can never burp her well enough, and she is always miserable after he feeds her (unless i'm right there to do the burping for him!)
dragynflye is offline   Reply With Quote