Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: i don't know what to do :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandZoesmom View Post
I am in agreement with Deanna (although we sure seem to be in the minority here).

NO matter what class a child gets placed in, there will be kids he/she does not get along with. It is a part of life. And frankly, I don't think any school will respond in the way you want if they perceive they are being told "Do this or I pull my child out of school.".

Just my
I also have to agree.

Another factor (which I had this happen w/ my Pre-K class I was teaching) was maybe that Parent requested the teacher . . . and that is why this child you don't want your DD to be w/ is. Many parents make requests, and it is not easy to please all of them . . . but I know that many school do try.

Try it out . . .

Advertisement

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner03 View Post
Honestly, I'd just leave everything alone. They're going to have to learn to deal with people they may not like at some point. They'll have people in classes, work, etc that they dont' like in the future, including teachers and bosses. They have to learn to deal with these people. The earlier the better. I'd advise you to be as positive as possible, as you don't want your lo to go to school with a negative impression of her teacher. I know it's hard to see them deal with people like that, but stay strong
I agree. Sometimes, in life, we have to deal w/ people and situations that are not always PERFECT. I am sure your children are strong secure people and can handle a somewhat imperfect scenario. It also is apparent you are very involved w/ your children and you will do whatever possible to keep your los out of harm's way.

I respectfully disagree. Have you ever worked in a school? If not, have you ever MADE a schedule for employees, etc??? If you had you'd realize it's IMPOSSIBLE to make EVERYONE happy. If EVERYONE requested the other teacher, not EVERYONE can get him/her, kwim?

I agree w/ this too. I am a teacher and I know that scheduling an entire school's schedule it is impossible to please everyone.

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
There is a reason children have parents.
They do not know what is best for them.

simply because they WANT to go to school doesn't mean it is good for them.
you sound like a great momma who knows what is best for her kids.

If they WANTED to eat ice cream every day for every meal, would you let them? I assume not.

School can be an awful, toxic, disempowering environment, and if you believe homeschooling is best for your children at this time, then do
it.
No matter where you place your children there will always be less than desirable events or people in their presence. It is a parent's influence that makes or breaks kids imo. Schools have a large part but I see it every day where students who are in crappy scenarios turn out just find because they have loving involved parents in their lives.
Though schools can be "awful, toxic and disempowering" i think the benefits can outweigh the negatives if you are actively involved and have a wonderful relationship w/ your children. From what you have posted (original poster) it is apparent that you are a great mom who cares deeply for her children.

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would pull them out to homschool!! Definetly!!

But only because you want to homeschool. I totally disagree with homeschooling b/c you don;t like a kid at the school, but if you have a desire in your heart to homeschool your children, nothing could be better!

Last edited by jengojengo; 08-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
jengojengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Wendylady
Registered Users

Your desire is to homeschool, if you're already having issues with the school district I'd probably pull them out now and homeschool. Whether or not the issues would be relevant with other posters doesn't really matter, they bother you. Just make sure to have them in lots of social activites/groups(since I'm betting that's the reason your daughters wanted to go to public school) and I'm sure they'll be fine with it.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner03 View Post
Honestly, I'd just leave everything alone. They're going to have to learn to deal with people they may not like at some point. They'll have people in classes, work, etc that they dont' like in the future, including teachers and bosses. They have to learn to deal with these people. The earlier the better. I'd advise you to be as positive as possible, as you don't want your lo to go to school with a negative impression of her teacher. I know it's hard to see them deal with people like that, but stay strong
I agree completely.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
There is a reason children have parents.
They do not know what is best for them.

simply because they WANT to go to school doesn't mean it is good for them.
you sound like a great momma who knows what is best for her kids.

If they WANTED to eat ice cream every day for every meal, would you let them? I assume not.

School can be an awful, toxic, disempowering environment, and if you believe homeschooling is best for your children at this time, then do it.
i actually agree with this. as first and kindergarteners they do need to be home. i dont think i would ever send my children with toxic ppl "because they are going to have to deal with ppl they dont like". yes as adults we do, but as parents it is our job to provide them a loving, stable, and nurturing enviroment.

i do not like the influence of random ppls children on mine. especially those that make them cry. they are at an age where they need to learn healthy and age appropriate social relationships. i really dont feel the few hours after school and on the weekends is enough time to make strong and well informed young children. that takes years of building and growing.

homeschooling allows you to focus on their education without the social negativities that some children bring. my dd has healthy social relationships, some she has facillitated on her own and some that i have brought her to through homeschooling groups. not all of her friends are homeschoolers but they are all children that i know come from healthy families.

as the parents of my children, my dh and i are responsible for thier emotional well being and never in a million years would they go to a school that sent them home crying every day.

ETA: im sorry but "the earlier the better" to learn to deal with terrible ppl isnt the way i chose to parent my child.. that makes me to even think about. never ever ever should they EVER think those types of people are people that are acceptable. atleast at home i have the ability to show her healthy relationships and to build trust with myself and my DH that we wouldnt put her in a toxic situation that isnt age appropriate.

Last edited by Jenifer; 08-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What does your DH think about the whole situation as well as you homeschooling? I've only had about 7-8 years of experience with mine, but he always seems to have a perspective on things that I wouldn't have ever considered, and maybe he can help you decide the best way to handle this. Maybe you need to really decide if you want to homeschool (asap!!! ) or not, THEN determine if it's really necessary to change their classes at this point. If you decide to stick with the school, I would try to change teachers for the younger one b/c you've had a bad track record with her AND I have a sis 15 months younger than me, and my parents ALWAYS requested we have different teachers to avoid comparison, etc - that could be another "excuse" to approach the principal with. I know my sis and I learn, etc SOOOOO differently, and it just wasn't fair to either of us to have those expectations - let's just say one of us was in the gifted program and enjoyed learning and the other is now an incredibly talented hair stylist with her own salon. Both smart, but in totally different ways, ya know??!?! GL
Old 08-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
i actually agree with this. as first and kindergarteners they do need to be home. i dont think i would ever send my children with toxic ppl "because they are going to have to deal with ppl they dont like". yes as adults we do, but as parents it is our job to provide them a loving, stable, and nurturing enviroment.

i do not like the influence of random ppls children on mine. especially those that make them cry. they are at an age where they need to learn healthy and age appropriate social relationships. i really dont feel the few hours after school and on the weekends is enough time to make strong and well informed young children. that takes years of building and growing.

homeschooling allows you to focus on their education without the social negativities that some children bring. my dd has healthy social relationships, some she has facillitated on her own and some that i have brought her to through homeschooling groups. not all of her friends are homeschoolers but they are all children that i know come from healthy families.

as the parents of my children, my dh and i are responsible for thier emotional well being and never in a million years would they go to a school that sent them home crying every day.

ETA: im sorry but "the earlier the better" to learn to deal with terrible ppl isnt the way i chose to parent my child.. that makes me to even think about. never ever ever should they EVER think those types of people are people that are acceptable. atleast at home i have the ability to show her healthy relationships and to build trust with myself and my DH that we wouldnt put her in a toxic situation that isnt age appropriate.
AWESOME!!! Mom's like you are what's pumping me up to convince DH this is the best route for our lo's, too. Thanks for the reminder as to why I want to do it - besides the possibility of a better education!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
camelfam
Registered Users
seller

I think if schools gave into every request parents made about which teacher they like or don't or who they didn't want to be in class with it would be a huge ordeal and a major headache. I'm sorry they didn't honor your requests but I completely understand why.

If you feel strongly enough about the situation (and you have every right to feel that way) then homeschool. I'm sorry things aren't working out. *Hugs* mama.