Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
abbi77
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Babywise question

*Let me start this by saying that while babywise is NOT FOR ME OR MY FAMILY, I'm not trying to make a judgement of those it works for*

OK, so we went in for Indy's 1st check up with our family practice doc earlier this week. Our old doc left a few years ago, when Kateri was about 3-4, so this is my first experience with this guy and a newborn--he's been great for me & the older girls. He's pretty young, and I wasn't thrilled with his exam, since he didn't appear to look at her so much as just ask me about such things as her reflexes, eye contact, etc, and I was also a little amused by some of his questions..."are you breast or bottle feeding?" (she was latched on when he walked in, guess my NIP ninja skills are still intact) "how long does she nurse at each feeding?" (um, until she's done?)...little things like that. For the most part, these things don't worry me. I'm pretty confident in my parenting, and if I have questions, I have no problem asking them, and doing some of my own research so I know ahead of time exactly what I'm asking about. I was even a little impressed when he told me he & his wife also have 4 kids, and use cloth , and when we discussed delayed vaxing, and while he didn't necessarily agree, he wasn't an *** about it either, as I've heard some can be. But my big surprise came at the end of the visit, when he told me that after each lo comes along, he and his wife pull out their copy of Babywise & re-read it to help them along...he suggested I pick up a copy. Now, at the time, I just laughed it off, said ok, but with no intention of ever buying that book. But today I started doing some reading online about what that book suggests. I knew it was basically about scheduling your baby pretty rigidly, but that was about it. CIO at 1 week? Aiming for a 3-hr daytime feeding schedule and 6-8 hrs sleep @ night at 2 mos??? That's nuts! This guy's leaving the practice in a few more months, at which point we'll switch to a new doc anyway. Would you wait for that or find a new practice?

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babywise question

I'd probably wait for a new doc.

I read about half of the book. It was given to me. It just seems ... harsh. I won't be able to do that to my kid. Which is probably why I have a 15 month old who wakes up 3-6 times a night to nurse, but I don't care.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would get him the info on babywise, the AAp has made a stance about it causing FTT and death. I will get you some links in the morning...
Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Meh. As long as he's not forcing those ideals on you, what he does with his own kid is his and his wife's business. You get to choose how you raise yours and he gets to choose how he raises his. I'm sure that all of my patients don't agree with my parenting choices but I don't foist my personal opinions off on them so it really doesn't matter.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

I'd find a new doc. Its clear already that he won't be helpful with ANY issues when it comes to breastfeeding (he'll tell you that babies shouldn't be nursing every 1-3 hours which is dangerous) and other things as well.

Good luck mama and good for you for listening to your mommy instinct!
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

the book has rec'd a lot of negative reviews. I think there was an older version that was pretty strict. I read the newer one (didn't follow everything) and found some of it helpful. NOWHERE in the book does it tell you to not feed your baby if they are hungry! It suggests encouraging more frequent feedings during the day so that they may be able to sleep longer at night. ie, if baby needs 32oz of milk for a day, try to make sure they are getting the majority of it during the day so they need less at night. I have never seen anything on the AAP's website that directly refers to the Ezzo's. My guess is a lot of people have not read the book and are just being influenced by negative websites.
Just my

IDDSO: my sanity!
iammommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammommy View Post
My guess is a lot of people have not read the book and are just being influenced by negative websites.
Just my
Nice assumption. I got a few chapters into the book and almost threw up from reading it.

http://www.ezzo.info./

From that link:

http://www.ezzo.info./feeding.htm

Also from that link...this AAP alert was sent in response to Ezzo's practices after over hundreds of medical professionals wrote to the AAP asking for them to address this:

Quote:
AAP ADDRESSES SCHEDULED FEEDINGS VS. DEMAND FEEDINGS

CHICAGO - Recent media reports have focused on the issue of whether scheduled feedings or demand feedings are best for babies. In response to these reports, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) reaffirms its stance that the best feeding schedules are ones babies design themselves. Scheduled feedings designed by parents may put babies at risk for poor weight gain and dehydration.

The AAP has always advocated breastfeeding as the optimal form of nutrition for infants, and in December 1997, the AAP issued its latest recommendations about breastfeeding infants. The policy statement says, "Newborns should be nursed whenever they show signs of hunger, such as increased alertness or activity, mouthing, or rooting. Crying is a late indicator of hunger. Newborns should be nursed approximately eight to 12 times every 24 hours until satiety ... In the early weeks after birth, nondemanding babies should be aroused to feed if 4 hours have elapsed since the last nursing."
Media coverage of Ezzo:

http://www.ezzo.info./newsreports.htm

He's been thrown out of (at least) 3 churches...and many other churches have spoken out...

Quote:
"I am uncomfortable with the Ezzos approach to this topic for two primary reasons. I feel they have a point to make and choose numerous "proof texts" from Scripture to make their point, not the broader teaching of Scripture. Secondly, I sense they claim to have a corner on the truth, making anyone with a differing perspective suspect.....without juding their motives, it appears that the Preparation for Parenting material reflects the Ezzos' perspective on infant feeding rather than a theologically accurate or balanced view of parenting."
--Doug Haag, Associate Pastor of Family Ministries,
EV Free Church of Fullerton, CA
His publishers have dropped him because even though he and his wife state extensive research in areas such as infant feeding, in ALL OF THESE YEARS, they have never divulged where the research came from, what findings they have from it, etc.

His own children have cut all ties from him (so much for his way of raising children).

His comments like this are sickening, especially when you think of the children that DID suffer FTT and worse from his methods:

Quote:
Ezzo: We have chased down enough of the supposed cases of low weight gain only to find out they had nothing to do with feeding a baby every three hours on our program. Many of the so-called concerns are more fabricated and exaggerated than real.
One of the biggest proponents of CIO out there, Dr. Ferber's comments on Ezzo:

Quote:
Dr. Richard Ferber, director of Boston's Center for Pediatric
Sleep Disorders at Children's Hospital and the author of the bestselling "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" (Simon and Schuster). [rebuts Ezzo] "Parents shouldn't expect babies to sleep that long that early, although a very few will on their own and in that case, you may sometimes need to actually wake them to feed them," says Ferber. "There is no good evidence that babies that young can go that long without a feeding."
There is plenty more, and these are all from HIS OWN WORDS...not just negative websites.

So please...if you have any more assumptions to make, feel free.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
Meh. As long as he's not forcing those ideals on you, what he does with his own kid is his and his wife's business. You get to choose how you raise yours and he gets to choose how he raises his. I'm sure that all of my patients don't agree with my parenting choices but I don't foist my personal opinions off on them so it really doesn't matter.
Because she is confident in her parenting she isn't going to be swayed by his recommendation. But other Moms take the Docs word as law and chaces are some poor beggar will go ahead and do as he has said. He needs to read the AAP recs and stop telling people to read that piece of trash book.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Because she is confident in her parenting she isn't going to be swayed by his recommendation. But other Moms take the Docs word as law and chaces are some poor beggar will go ahead and do as he has said. He needs to read the AAP recs and stop telling people to read that piece of trash book.
I don't see anywhere in her post where he said to her that she had to parent that way. He told her that that is what he and his wife do and that that is a book he likes/recommends. He's not a ped. He's a family practice doc, so he doesn't have to follow any AAP guidelines. Instead they follow AAFP guidelines which do differ from AAP guidelines at times.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have read it, I tried it, and would never ever try it again. I have friends that swear by it though. Maybe share these links with him, as after seeing things like this, I could never even consider it again (plus, it was against every instinct and bone in my body, which is why we stopped using it very early on). But, I have BFing friends who it worked wonders for. My son has never been easy, though, and he had reflux. We had a hard time because our Church told us that was the way to parent, and when we stopped parenting that way, we felt very judged for it.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...cuefeeding.php
http://www.nospank.net/granju2.htm
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthrough.html
http://www.ezzo.info/babywise.htm

Last edited by jveprek; 08-24-2008 at 10:53 AM.
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote