Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babywise question

I would first be honest with him about how I felt on that book and why. He may not know. And tell him you were a bit put off by him suggesting it. Then just wait for him to leave the practice.

Advertisement

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Nice assumption. I got a few chapters into the book and almost threw up from reading it.

http://www.ezzo.info./

From that link:

http://www.ezzo.info./feeding.htm

Also from that link...this AAP alert was sent in response to Ezzo's practices after over hundreds of medical professionals wrote to the AAP asking for them to address this:

Media coverage of Ezzo:

http://www.ezzo.info./newsreports.htm

He's been thrown out of (at least) 3 churches...and many other churches have spoken out...

His publishers have dropped him because even though he and his wife state extensive research in areas such as infant feeding, in ALL OF THESE YEARS, they have never divulged where the research came from, what findings they have from it, etc.

His own children have cut all ties from him (so much for his way of raising children).

His comments like this are sickening, especially when you think of the children that DID suffer FTT and worse from his methods:

One of the biggest proponents of CIO out there, Dr. Ferber's comments on Ezzo:

There is plenty more, and these are all from HIS OWN WORDS...not just negative websites.

So please...if you have any more assumptions to make, feel free.

Wow! That's pretty RUDE! No need to attack!
Why don't you check out www.gfi.org
I can find plenty of wesites that are against cloth diapering, cosleeping, attatched parenting, giving vaxes, delay vaxes, etc. I could go on, but my point is DO NOT believe everything you read. Educate yourself and make the decisions that are best for YOUR family.
And please do not judge others so quickly!

IDDSO: my sanity!
iammommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also find it funny that you would quote ferber, given that he is the biggest cio supported, but whatever!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

here's another one to check out http://www.ezzotruth.com/

Old 08-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
mjokirk
Registered Users
seller

Seriously, guys, lets not argue Ezzo here. That is NOT what this mama wanted. Ridiculous.

Mama, I would maybe bring up the not-so-positives of the book to him, but wouldnt suggest you find a new doctor. I am not worried about you succumbing to his evil (joke...just to clarify...). My only concern would be him rec. this book to mamas that wouldnt know any better (or giving other neg advice, for that matter). Just mention it to him, no need to leave.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Nice assumption. I got a few chapters into the book and almost threw up from reading it.

http://www.ezzo.info./

From that link:

http://www.ezzo.info./feeding.htm

Also from that link...this AAP alert was sent in response to Ezzo's practices after over hundreds of medical professionals wrote to the AAP asking for them to address this:

Media coverage of Ezzo:

http://www.ezzo.info./newsreports.htm

He's been thrown out of (at least) 3 churches...and many other churches have spoken out...

His publishers have dropped him because even though he and his wife state extensive research in areas such as infant feeding, in ALL OF THESE YEARS, they have never divulged where the research came from, what findings they have from it, etc.

His own children have cut all ties from him (so much for his way of raising children).

His comments like this are sickening, especially when you think of the children that DID suffer FTT and worse from his methods:

One of the biggest proponents of CIO out there, Dr. Ferber's comments on Ezzo:

There is plenty more, and these are all from HIS OWN WORDS...not just negative websites.

So please...if you have any more assumptions to make, feel free.
Wonderful responses mama! You always have such great insight and I LOVE reading your posts!! Though I may not comment much they have really helped me as I've applied AP practices to my own children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammommy View Post
I don't [personally] think that she was being rude, I thought her response was demonstrating why EVEN some CIO proponents like Ferber even denounce Ezzo's approach. And YES, things can be found about AP practices that are negative as well HOWEVER, though the term AP was only fairly recently coined. . . through research one can see that for thousands of years childrearing veered more towards AP, it is only a recent thing [last few hundred years] that we have developed this unattached method of raising children.

Also this line from your link really sums up what the Ezzo's think and believe about babies/children and childrearing [And YES, I've read his book on the recommendation from a friend with my first son. For me, my gut and every fiber of my being told me this is not a way to approach parenting]

"It was not like having a baby in the family at all, but rather just like having another child in the family."

My friend who recommended the book originally was always quoting this as well as if it was the best thing ever. And would even say things like "The Ezzo's tell us that the baby is not the center but just an addition to the family and shouldn't be catered too. I finally asked her one day then why even have children if you don't want to deal with the baby stage. She never has brought it up again.
I HONESTLY don't get WHY people do have children when they just seem not willing to sacrifice for a couple of years and tend the primal needs of a baby :shrug: Just my own as well.

To the OP: I would just wait the few months out and then switch. But I WOULD switch personally because if ever I do want my peditrician's input on parenting issues that can affect health I like them to be on the same page as far as childrearing.

Last edited by Terra; 08-24-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: add something I forgot
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Quote:
What is there to check out? There's no evidence, no statistical support, no research support.....it's a site for testimonial opinion.

I find it funny that you think an informative post is "rude". Information is not rude. Treating kids Ezzo's way is.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if your dr is ok w/ cloth diapers and selective/delayed/no vaxing and if you think you could trust him if your kids are sick, then i might bring in some medical research about why scheduled feedings and CIO are dangerous and can lead to poor weight gain and low supply. it's sad that he's probably been giving bad info to so many moms. i personally know friends who have had to stop breastfeeding b/c they followed Babywise and lost their milk, so i'm sensitive to medical professionals passing on such dangerous advice.

it was important to me to find a dr who would be helpful if we had breastfeeding problems. it doesn't seem like your dr could help should you have a problem. on the other hand, chances are that you will never have a problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I also find it funny that you would quote ferber, given that he is the biggest cio supported, but whatever!
That was the entire point. He's the biggest supporter of CIO out there and even HE thinks Ezzo's practices are wrong.

Went WAY over your head, apparently.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
And please do not judge others so quickly!
Sorry?

You DID read your post to me prior to my response right? If you forgot already, here you go:

Quote:
My guess is a lot of people have not read the book and are just being influenced by negative websites.
To which I responded "Nice assumption" and provided facts and information.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote