Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #21
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mexico?

I honestly believe that the violence has been there years and part of this is the media hyping everything up..
I don't want to live in fear. We speak Spanish well and are visiting family, so hopefully we will not have a problem...
30 days and we are leaving!!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
j_a_a_zavala
Registered Users

The drug violence has spread to my city. There were 5 people killed in the village next to mine in the state of Guanajuato yesterday. The people where not from there and it is said that it is a part of the drug wars going on on the boarder. I have been going to Mexico for 8yrs now and have drove many times. This last time was definitely a lot different and there were several places that we stopped that we could not get out of the car. The violence has been there for years but it is getting worse and spreading all over Mexico. I used to think that since we do not live in the city and we know everyone in the village that we will be ok but now the violence has reached our homes and our families homes. My sister in law's house is very close by where the 5 where killed and today we cannot get a hold of anyone from the house.
j_a_a_zavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #23
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow....scary! i am supposed to go to Tampico in July....we will see
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #24
j_a_a_zavala
Registered Users

We have decided not to go back until things get better. They are taking about sending the military into our small town. That is scary. It is not very big at all. There are no fast food restaurants, no big stores. We are about half way into to Mexico so the drugs and violence has definitely spread. Right now it is predicted that the Mexican government is going to fail in the next 12 months. Obama I considering sending U.S troops to the boarder to prevent refugees from Mexico coming into the U.S.
j_a_a_zavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #25
josesmama
Registered Users

As a foreigner living in Mexico for almost two years...I feel I need to give my thoughts on the issue. Honestly, I have never felt that my life or that of anyone that I've been with here has been in danger. We've had the military come in and take over our city government last fall and honestly it was a positive move for the city. The violence that I've heard about is between the police and the drug guys. If you stay out of those things you will not have any problems. From my understanding, there has never been a foreigner kidnapped in Aguascalientes. This is because the kidnappers are after quick money. Foreigners will only have the money in their pocket. The kidnappers are after Mexican businessman who can contact their family quickly so they can go to the bank to get the ransom money. If they touch foreigners they will have the Mexican government and the US/Canadian governments all over them in no time.

It has been my experience that Mexicans bend over backwards to help foreigners. I have always received top quality service anywhere I go.
An individual can use his or her imagination to dream up anything that could happen while in Mexico. I can’t stop them from doing that. But those things also happen in the US too.

I will continue to volunteer here in Aguascalientes until God calls me elsewhere. But that's me.
josesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #26
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am thankful for your imput and this is how I feel about visiting family down in Mexico. We are going in April and believing that God is in control and will be protecting us. I refuse to live in fear. While I speak great Spanish, I still clearly look like a foreigner and while my children are chicano and speak Spanish, it is clear that they are not native born.. Regardless, we will be going prayerfully and having a safe and wonderful time, God-willing..
Thanks for your reply jose'smama.. I appreciate it!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #27
mom2twinks
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmel View Post
I am not in MX but I am in a forum with mostly moms in MX www criandocreado com

They use cd and buy them at www ecobebe com, www tikiba com and www holabambino com]

I do have a question though. I have one of the ladies over there asking about international shipping and if she bought cd from the US if it will cost her any duty over there in MX. Does anyone know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by josesmama View Post
Hi everyone!

I have found that NO one uses cloth diapers in Mexico (or at least not in Aguascalientes!) I cannot find them anywhere! When I ask in the stores, the salespeople look at me like I am crazy. If anyone knows of a good retailer close by (Aguascalientes, Guanajuato, Zacatecas or Queretaro areas) please let me know.

I brought some with me from Canada and I've started to make my own but I still use disposables quite alot since I volunteer in an orphanage and we just don't have enough cloth to go around.

Mom2twinks...where did you buy your diapers? Does Mexico city have any?

I am sorry for not checking this thread earlier.

I have never bought any cloth diapers in Mexico, since the only cloth diapers ever used here are flats with vinil covers, not even prefolds.

I am somewhat familiar with the websites posted by pp, I saw 2 of those stores at the expobebe last year, but their prices are twice as high as in the US (which is normal since they pay the high import duties for them). And I don´t like their FAQ, esp. Hola bambino´s and ecobebe´s, since they say that you only need like 12 cloth diapers and don´t say the truth about washing routines, I am pretty sure they don´t say more because they don´t want to scare potential clients, but still.....

I have had diapering stuff shipped to Mexico from the following stores and have never had to pay any duties, I am adding what I had in one package:
nickis diapers (about 3 diapers at a time, 2 covers and onesie extenders)
quilter´s nappies (up to about 60 wipes)
goodmama (up to 9 diapers plus wipes plus doublers)
bella bottoms (up to 6 diapers plus soakers)
booty cubes (huge order)
katedanzer (36 wipes)
purely nurtured (4 fleece covers)
nellie´s (3 bags of laundry soda)
green acre designs (only one diaper)
abby´s laner or leslie´s boutique (not sure which one shipped to Mexico)
babyology from ebay (2 wool soakers)

Of all these, I have found nicki´s, quilter´s nappies, bella bottoms and booty cubes to have very reasonable shipping fees, purely nurtured had a 4.99 shipping promotion and they honored it! (I was completely ok with paying a difference and even emailed them saying so and they never charged any more).

So, as you can see, everything can be ordered from the US and will still cost less than buying in Mexico.

I am still waiting on an order of crunchy clean and I hope there won´t be any trouble with it.
mom2twinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #28
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twinks View Post
I am sorry for not checking this thread earlier.

I have never bought any cloth diapers in Mexico, since the only cloth diapers ever used here are flats with vinil covers, not even prefolds.

I am somewhat familiar with the websites posted by pp, I saw 2 of those stores at the expobebe last year, but their prices are twice as high as in the US (which is normal since they pay the high import duties for them). And I don´t like their FAQ, esp. Hola bambino´s and ecobebe´s, since they say that you only need like 12 cloth diapers and don´t say the truth about washing routines, I am pretty sure they don´t say more because they don´t want to scare potential clients, but still.....

I have had diapering stuff shipped to Mexico from the following stores and have never had to pay any duties, I am adding what I had in one package:
nickis diapers (about 3 diapers at a time, 2 covers and onesie extenders)
quilter´s nappies (up to about 60 wipes)
goodmama (up to 9 diapers plus wipes plus doublers)
bella bottoms (up to 6 diapers plus soakers)
booty cubes (huge order)
katedanzer (36 wipes)
purely nurtured (4 fleece covers)
nellie´s (3 bags of laundry soda)
green acre designs (only one diaper)
abby´s laner or leslie´s boutique (not sure which one shipped to Mexico)
babyology from ebay (2 wool soakers)

Of all these, I have found nicki´s, quilter´s nappies, bella bottoms and booty cubes to have very reasonable shipping fees, purely nurtured had a 4.99 shipping promotion and they honored it! (I was completely ok with paying a difference and even emailed them saying so and they never charged any more).

So, as you can see, everything can be ordered from the US and will still cost less than buying in Mexico.

I am still waiting on an order of crunchy clean and I hope there won´t be any trouble with it.
OMGosh thank you for the info. I will let the ladies know.
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #29
mom2twinks
Registered Users

Well, I got my crunchy clean order with no troubles

Too bad that practically all the modern cloth diapering stuff must be imported, it makes cloth diapering more expensive than sposies, but I am so happy to be CD´ing my baby.

They are making one brand of one size pockets in Mexico, but I saw them once, and they are stiff as a board, I wouldn´t even want to try them.

I haven´t seen any prefolds or fitteds yet.
mom2twinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #30
Rowan
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have bought from ecobebe, yes they are from Mexico, and are higly recommended
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote