Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
*Another update!!!!*

Update:

Well, I think we're there. I honestly never thought that this day would come. But the last bottle that DS had was at midnight last night. It is now 11:38pm. It has been almost a full 24 hours without any formula. I could cry right now. I am, however, afraid to take out that last bottle. He gets a 2 oz bottle with some cereal in it at night, and even with that, I'm lucky if he sleeps 4 hours without waking up to nurse. I'm afraid that if I take the last bottle away, he won't get any sleep.

I also wanted to say that after several LCs and an LLL leader, my doula trainer (who is also a LC) was finally the one to tell me WHY I never made enough milk. The day before DS was born, I was in the hospital with a TERRIBLE flu. She said that between me throwing up and the diarreah that I probably had little to no...oh, I forgot what she said...some kind of hormone left. She said it happens a lot with women who have hemmorage issues during birth, too. It was so nice to finally have an answer.

Anyway. I just had to share with you all, as you've all been so wonderful to us. He'll be 7 months old in a week, and it looks like we're finally going to be nearly formula free (I'll probably still have to use it when I make his cereal and baby food, as I can't let down to the pump. But I don't mind using it there.)

Well, I don't want to jinx myself here, but I just HAD to post this...

For those of you who read my post last week, my DS has been getting aprox. 14 oz of formula a day since he was about a month old. (He's 6 1/2 months now). When we started solids twice a day, we went down to 8 oz of formula. For the past few days, he's been taking 6 (2 oz around 2, 2 oz between 6-8 and 2 oz at midnight before bed).

WELL...it is 6:49pm and he has not had a bottle since midnight last night!!! I'm so excited! I have NO CLUE what happened. I haven't changed ANYTHING. I haven't been taking any meds, haven't been drinking anymore water than usual... I have no freakin clue. But I'm definitely not going to complain.

But here's my issue...I have my doula class this weekend. It's almost 12 hours on Saturday and I think 10 on Sunday. The original plan was for DH to have Saturday off and hang around town, bringing DS to me every 2 hours to nurse. (As a side note, I can't pump. I never have been able to. I have a MPIS that I paid $200 for that hasn't been able to do anything for me...I can never get more than 1/2 oz...and that's combind out of BOTH breasts). Then SIL was going to come into town and do the same thing on Sunday.

Problems. #1 we are BROKE. And Saturdays are over-time for DH. We REALLY need the money for him to go to work. #2 even if he doesn't work, DH has no idea what he's going to do for 12 hours with no money while I'm in class. (Class is a good hour or so from our house, so it's not just he can just go home). I can't really ask my SIL to do this both days, as she lives ever farther from my class than we do. But I get sick to my stomach thinking of going ALL DAY without DS nursing and without pumping. I'm scared to death that my milk will dry up. Not to mention I hate the thought of him getting sooo much formula when I've worked so hard to get to where I am today. *sighs*

Advertisement

Last edited by KnottyLDSMama; 10-27-2006 at 09:43 PM.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update on Milk supply situation! + Question

That sounds great about your milk supply!
When DH and I went out of town and I forgot a part of the pump (ooops) I had to hand express milk to keep my supply up when I couldn't nurse. (I was taking care of my grandmother in a nursing home and not a great place for a baby).
I would either go into the bathroom, or if I had a cup or something that was wide enough, and hand express my milk and at least try to get two or three ounces out of each breast so I could continue to make milk. As soon as I would get to where we were staying I would also nurse.

Have you tried hand expressing your milk into a wide cup and see if you could catch some and then pour it into a bottle for later?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could you take your baby with you to the class? Put him in a sling for most of the day? I bet you're not the first mama to go to a doula training class. Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
KnottyLDSMama
seller
seller

My Mood:

She said it was fine that someone bring DS to me as often as needed, but she doesn't want him staying w/me as he could be a distraction.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont know what to suggest for the weekend but I just wanted to say congrats on the forumla thing. That is so great! Keep us updated on how it goes!
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
KnottyLDSMama
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: *Another update!!!!*

*bump* Update in OP.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

who ho!!!! that iis so awsome!

Clarissa
Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

There's no way to take him with? I understand your feelings. I hate leaving mine when they are babies too!!

Hope you figure something out mama!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:12 AM   #9
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that is sooo awesome mama! Im soooooo happy for you!
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you ever thought to mix applesauce with the cereal instead of formula. It would suck to get this far and have to give him formula to mix with his cereal... That is what we did...

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote